ballparent
S

Officer in Dragging Case Resigns

Post by ballparent »

Officers in dragging death resigns
Apr 10, 2008 @ 04:43 PM
By DAVID E. MALLOY
Herald-Dispatch.com
IRONTON -- The Ironton police officer who dragged the body of an Ironton man for 10 blocks along snowy and icy city streets last month has resigned, according to Ironton Police Chief Jim Carey.

Richard Fouts, a patrolman for about two months, was placed on administrative leave with pay last month after finding the body of Guy Thomas 46, wedged beneath a city police cruiser as he was on his way to work.

Fouts sent a letter of resignation to city officials on Wednesday, saying the resignation was effective Friday, April 11.

While he was initially placed on paid administrative leave with pay, that status was changed to administrative leave without pay on March 25.

A preliminary autopsy report showed Thomas died from asphyxiation. His chest was crushed and several ribs were broken, according to Lawrence County Coroner Burton Payne. The autopsy from the Franklin County Coroner’s office in Columbus showed no evidence of an impact injury, indicating Thomas likely was lying in the road when he became lodged beneath the cruiser, according to authorities.

The case has been turned over to the office of Lawrence County Prosecutor J.B. Collier Jr. Collier said he would present the case to an upcoming county grand jury

ballparent
S

Re: Officer in Dragging Case Resigns

Post by ballparent »

No matter the result of the Prosecutor's decision on the case, this is probably for the best. I'm sure he would have had a very difficult time in the community serving as an officer.
Last edited by ballparent on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

right decision I'm sure his lawyers advised him to do it that way... I'm with you FIDO how could you've not have known even had he thought it was snow built up under it or whatever wouldn't you have checked it out?? I know I would have..

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

He should have waited to see what the grand jury said before he made his decision.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

true I guess it makes him look guilty? by choosing to step down now...

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

He probably just want to get on with his life and move on down the road.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

could be guess people will view it in different ways...

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

There will be a lawsuit filed.

I would be money on it.

Return to “The Off season”