Do you think SS will be able to pay you when you retire?

General Chat

Money or not?

Total votes: 0

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Do you think SS will be able to pay you when you retire?

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I had this poll on a page I subscribe to and thought I'd ask it on here

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Re: Do you think SS will be able to pay you when you retire?

Post by mvlnewlex »

whats happening to my generation is disgusting and immoral.

we are paying into this piece of crap system that the left wants to protect. SS is slowly becoming nothing more than a welfare program when the people paying into it will NEVER see it.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Social security will exist in some capacity. Here is the problem......social security was established as a SUPPLEMENTAL income. Supplemental means ADDITIONAL FUNDS FOR YOUR RETIREMENT. It does not mean ALL OF YOUR FUNDS FOR YOUR RETIREMENT. It is up to each individual to have other savings and methods of funding their own retirements, and social security simply is additional funds for that overall savings plan.

When social security was established, the average age Americans lived to was about the same age people became eligible for social security. Naturally, the retirement age needs to be increased over time to fall in line with the added life expectancies of Americans.

By the time I retire, I expect a few things......

1. The retirement age for social security benefits will have increased, possibly to the age of 70-75 to qualify.

2. Each individual will probably only receive approximately 75% of the benefits that current retirees receive in order for the system to fund itself at that time. The only other option would be for the government to increase the national debt in order to fund the shortage in social security that will exist at that time. I do not think social security taxes will be increased, but that is always an option the government might consider.

3. No person should expect social security to fund 100% of their retirement. Use it to SUPPLEMENT your retirement - pay a few monthly bills for example. If your job has a 401K plan, contribute to it. Start your own ROTH IRA. Don't just expect Social Security or the government to take care of you, because it's not going to happen.

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Very good NYBUCK...true enough... And if the government would pay back all the money it has borrowed, SS would solvent until the cows come home. Problem is the politicos can't keep their money grubbers off it..... :12224

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

Bush Spends Social Security Surplus: The New York Times reported that "the president's new budget uses Social Security surpluses to pay for other programs every year through 2013, ultimately diverting more than $1.4 trillion in Social Security funds to other purposes." [The New York Times, 2/6/02] :12224

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

I doubt it. When i'm old enough to retire and recieve it, the SS will have a new meaning. It will be "So Sorry", but we don't have the funds to pay you.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

I don't needto worry about it. My retirement years are taken care of already. There will always be money in my retirement system.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

gahs4ever wrote:I have been receiving $1300 a month SS disability income since 2003.

I don't have enough credit to draw it now... :122247

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i'm 47. and disabled and on social security. since i was born in 1960. they raised the age from 65 to 67. i have 18 more years before, my pension check starts. which will be fairly small anyway. but i'm hearing the war is being funded through social security. if thats the case i don't think it will be there if i make it till 67.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

and i don't know who said it, but you have no right to call us democrats left.

if you wish to do this, please go to politics. and express that opinion. thats why it is there. :mrgreen:

Return to “The Off season”