Woodland Cemetery

General Chat
ghostwriter
Varsity

Woodland Cemetery

Post by ghostwriter »

Ironton,Ohio

I don't know if many know this....But, the oldest tomestone marked that I have found was born in 1779-1849....A family of 6....

grizzly
Freshman Team

Re: Woodland Cemetery

Post by grizzly »

really, i looked but the oldest looking ones were unreadable

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

The one's we found are clearly readable....We had no problem reading them....You can clearly read 1779 - 1849....A couple are hard to read....

The writing on the stones face Coal Grove and the back face Ironton....

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

What was the oldest date on one that you found????

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

My great great grand father is buried in Ironton or Coal Grove. An aunt of mine was at my dads funeral and ask if I would try to find it. I have walked thru a couple looking around with no luck. She thinks its one real close to the Highway just up from the Coal Grove exit. Dowg and I went thru the one by the church at the top of the hill on the right and dint find it there. Is there another one closer the the Highway? Do any of the churches have or keep records of whos buried in the Cemetarys?

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

The groundskeeper has record of the plots. It is the house on the right as soon as you enter the gates on the Ironton side of the Cemetery.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:My great great grand father is buried in Ironton or Coal Grove. An aunt of mine was at my dads funeral and ask if I would try to find it. I have walked thru a couple looking around with no luck. She thinks its one real close to the Highway just up from the Coal Grove exit. Dowg and I went thru the one by the church at the top of the hill on the right and dint find it there. Is there another one closer the the Highway? Do any of the churches have or keep records of whos buried in the Cemetarys?

OZZIE, next time you and biggdowgg....Come up this way let me know....I know a few spots....My buddy and I take rides all over....I'll be happy to give you a hand....

We have a new groundskeeper right now....I know he has is hands full....

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I will. My aunts were at my dad funeral and ask me to find the grave. They think its in Coal Grove. The name is John W Tackett. just in case your out running around the cemetary. LOL!!!

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

I was surfing through the links on the page I posted on the bottom of this page....Ohio Historical Records....and this is what I found. I thought sure that Woodland Cemetery would have it's records online but they don't, three smaller cemeteries do though. Here's the link and then you can go to any county you choose.

http://www.interment.net/us/oh/index.htm

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

ballparent, nice work....

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:My great great grand father is buried in Ironton or Coal Grove. An aunt of mine was at my dads funeral and ask if I would try to find it. I have walked thru a couple looking around with no luck. She thinks its one real close to the Highway just up from the Coal Grove exit. Dowg and I went thru the one by the church at the top of the hill on the right and dint find it there. Is there another one closer the the Highway? Do any of the churches have or keep records of whos buried in the Cemetarys?

Did you check Calvery cemetery in Coal Grove, it's right next to Woodland.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

No I didnt, Is it back behind it, or what?

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:No I didnt, Is it back behind it, or what?

OZZIE, it's right behind the back gate....The back gate close's at 2:00pm....

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Thanks ill try to find it.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

There is an old French cemetary in Franklin Furnace that's located in some woods close to where I hunt for arrowheads that has a couple of graves that go way back. If I remember correctly I think a couple of them were born in the mid 1700's, like 1750's or 1760's, and died in the early 1800's and I believe they were born in France and died here in America.

usahockey1980
Riding the Bench

Post by usahockey1980 »

Oak Hill, Ohio

I think there is an Antioch Cemetery outside the village on a hill with people born in the mid 1700's.

Does anybody know about the cemetery?

TheresaHPIR
Waterboy

Post by TheresaHPIR »

The Lawrence County Historical Society has some great early articles on Woodland Cemetery, available at:

http://www.lawrencecountyohio.com/cemet ... /index.htm

HPIR has had group pictures taken at this cemetery a few times, and it really is a beautiful place full of history. I took my mom and nephew to the Ghost Walk they have there a few years ago, and they both loved hearing the reenactors tell Ironton's history in such a unique way.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:There is an old French cemetary in Franklin Furnace that's located in some woods close to where I hunt for arrowheads that has a couple of graves that go way back. If I remember correctly I think a couple of them were born in the mid 1700's, like 1750's or 1760's, and died in the early 1800's and I believe they were born in France and died here in America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Grants

Return to “The Off season”