Shane Jones helped inspire change in outlook

General Chat
The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Here is a great article from the Herald-Dispatch which was written by a member of SEOPS and a classmate of mine from the Ironton High School Class of 1986.

November 06, 2008 @ 12:00 AM
The Herald-Dispatch

What made me who I am?

Have you ever asked yourself that question?

If not, don't worry. You are probably in the majority. Our natural tendency as human beings is to overlook, or at least undervalue, the input of others into our lives. We are taught from an early age to be independent and self-sufficient. Essentially, we are taught that we don't need each other to succeed.

Our culture, if it can be said that we have one, places great value on individual achievement. We love a good book or movie about somebody who has beaten certain odds to achieve their dreams. Throughout the plot, we are rooting for this person we will never meet to persevere. If we are absolutely honest, we take on their persona as we absorb their story. We want them to win in the end as an extension of ourselves.

But once the movie is over, or the final page of the book is turned, that story is still their story. For a brief time, we carry the emotions this person might have felt when he or she finally reached their personal summit and achieved a lifelong dream. We cheer from a distance and then we fall back into reality, realizing that our lives are just not that interesting. We believe we could never accomplish what they accomplished.

Why is that?

I want to propose one word that I believe is the answer to that question.

Before I divulge this word, which is something we all possess in varying degrees, I would like to ask another question: If you died today, who would care?

Six years ago, I was so close to rock bottom that I could see where I was going to land. I was depressed about things I didn't think I could control. Basically, I didn't think my dreams, and they were many, would ever be fulfilled. I gave up.

At about this same time, realizing I was a whisper from total defeat, I did the only thing I had left to do: I prayed.

Knowing that if our prayers are in line with God's will He will answer them, I prayed for opportunities to do things for others that most people wouldn't consider doing. I figured that if I never reached my personal dreams, I might be able to assist in the dreams of others.

I prayed this prayer for weeks while looking for opportunities to make a difference in somebody else's life. Almost instantly, situations arose that made me look at my life much differently. I found that helping people when they needed it most was the greatest, most satisfying feeling I had ever experienced. It created in me an urge to get my next "fix." As time marched on, I fell hard into this new addiction.

Shortly afterward, I was reacquainted with a child who would become my hero in this life.

In August, 2002, Shane Jones was a 13-year-old leukemia survivor whose disease had unmercifully returned. His parents, Shawn and Patty, were my neighbors during our childhood. At one time, during my early adult years, I lived across the street from Shane's grandparents, Dick and Laura Jones.

Shane's entire childhood was marred by the cancer that overwhelmed his body, but his spirit was never consumed. Fighting the effects of chemotherapy and the weaknesses it created in his young frame, Shane never gave up on his dreams. In fact, he fought even harder just to make them happen.

I remember looking out my window one chilly January morning and witnessing a 6-year-old Shane, with snow up to his knees, tossing and hitting baseballs in Dick and Laura's front yard. At the time, being an avid baseball fan, I thought, "That's my kind of kid." Looking back, though, I realize something he realized then. Life is all about attitude. Truly, happiness is in how you perceive it.

When I became reacquainted with Shane during his teenage years, I learned so much about making every moment in life count. I realized that I was feeling sorry for myself over trivial matters. Shane, by contrast, woke up every day not knowing if it would be his last. Not only was he thankful for each day he was given, he made it a point to brighten the lives of those around him. He didn't want pity. He wanted everyone else to be happy.

Shane passed away on Oct. 2, 2002, but his unquenchable zest for life caught fire with me and continues to burn. I promised Shawn and Patty that I would never let his memory die. How could I? The turning point in my adult life was witnessing how their son handled the daily threat of dying. Six years later, he's still living large inside of me.

And I'm not the only one. Another huge Shane Jones fan is former Ironton Fighting Tiger and current Ohio State Buckeye Marcus Williams. Marcus told me last year that he considered Shane to be his guardian angel. He reaffirmed his thoughts just last week, saying, "Shane is always there. He always will be."

"Attitude" is the word I spoke of earlier. It is the single biggest determinant of the quality of our lives. If Shane Jones didn't have a positive attitude, he could never have affected me like he did. By just being himself, he made a world of difference in my life. He made me realize how lucky I am to have what I have. He made me want to give to others. He gave me a purpose. Anything I have done or will ever do for anybody else is a direct result of his effect on me. I cannot describe with words the impact this young man has had on my life.

I needed Shane Jones and his attitude in my life. All it took to get it was a prayer.

Imagine what our community would be like if we all prayed that prayer.

Billy Bruce is a freelance writer who lives and writes in Lawrence County, Ohio. He can be reached at hollandkat3@aol.com.

85inside
S

Re: Shane Jones helped inspire change in outlook

Post by 85inside »

A terrific article and just another brilliant piece from Bill Bruce. Bill, Shane has inspired you, did you know that his parents also inspire some of us? Being a parent is sometimes daunting. There are ebs and flows and ups and downs. Shawn and Patty has inspired my wife and I at periods of our young parenthood. This article speaks of attitude. It is always an easier street to have a poor outlook on life and a poor attitude. When something this tragic happens, it is easy to have a poor attitude. The Jones' still volunteer their time and efforts to help make the school system and the city of Ironton a better place. Their son Shane still has a immense effect on lives in our world today. So does his parents.
I dont know why bad things happen to good people and why exceptional children have to leave early. However, it is clear that God not only used Shane Jones while he was on earth, but still today.
Bravo Billy, Bravo!

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

Thank you so much for sharing this article with us... It is good to know that Shane Jones is still having a positive impact on so many lives, as well as having already touched so many since his promotion to Heaven..
God bless.

ItownHosscat
S

Post by ItownHosscat »

Never a day goes by without me thinking of my son,whom I miss dearly.This story came as a surprise to me.Usually Bill will call or E-mail a heads up.I do have a copy for a keepsake.Bill I like to think things do happen for a reason,some I can't and may never understand but I am happy to know that he did help you along.I too look to him in some troubled or tight spots in my life.Sometimes I get the feeling he is setting there laughing his hind-end off at some of the things I do or say.Some good and some not so good. 8) I could never be as strong as him nor as brave.But even in his last few days on this earth he always thought of others,even when he felt bad,or even worse.
So Bill just remember its guys like you and inside85,Jukeboxer,Bigref1 and the rest of our family and friends that help us "get by".Someone once said "Time heals all wounds".Me,I don't buy it.I think friends and family take turns holding us up till the day we get to meet him again.
Again Thanks Bill for another great pick-me-up.

hollandkat3
Waterboy

Post by hollandkat3 »

Shawn,

You made him. So, don't thank me. I thank you!

And I will continue to do so every time the vibe hits me.

Sorry I didn't give you a heads-up. My old cell phone died and I lost your number. Send it to me.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

nice story

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

Nice story about a great kid. Glad I had to the pleasure to teach this young man and get to know him.

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

Thanks Bill for reminding us about Shane and the impact he had on our kids and our community. Even though time passes I guarantee you this time of year hits his classmates hard. Great read as always. God bless all those who miss him.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Great story Billy, and shows what kind of young man Shane Jones was, that his influence is felt by so many to this day and will continue to influence for all their days.

DAC10
Waterboy

Post by DAC10 »

Shane Jones....
that is a name I will always remember!
He truly inspired and inspires so many people. I even wrote a song in his honor a while back. I think of Shane often and how he instilled the "never give up" attitude in me.
This is a wonderful article and a true reminder of how important life is.

PLEASANTFLYER
JV Team

Post by PLEASANTFLYER »

Great article bill about a Super kid.

Return to “The Off season”