Do you feel safe crossing the Ironton/ Russell bridge?

General Chat
mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

What about the Mason-Pomeroy bridge ? I have family down there, so im in the area a lot.

that bridge moves around on ya a little bit. :shock:

The I-70 Bridge in Zanesville is not in good shape.

But seriously. How often do bridges collapse ? The Brooklyn Bridge is well over 100 years old and it is still standing. We have bridges in this country that were built before the great depression that carry major metropolitan traffic in the year 2008 with no problem. It is an anamoly. Nothing to worry about I tell ya !

But it is scary. :shock:. make sure your seat belts are off !

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I've been told if they move its good its when they don't move then get SCARED!!! I've been acrossed this bridge didn't see the mothman but you never know!! My daughter just had a heartattack when I showed her the bridge pic... she of course closes her eyes when she crosses bridges hope she doesn't when she is driving though! :shock:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

doesnt scare me,,I just like to drive ..REALLY FAST ..when crossing it

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Tobias wrote:
newlexpanthers wrote:What about the Mason-Pomeroy bridge ? I have family down there, so im in the area a lot.

that bridge moves around on ya a little bit. :shock:

The I-70 Bridge in Zanesville is not in good shape.

But seriously. How often do bridges collapse ? The Brooklyn Bridge is well over 100 years old and it is still standing. We have bridges in this country that were built before the great depression that carry major metropolitan traffic in the year 2008 with no problem. It is an anamoly. Nothing to worry about I tell ya !

But it is scary. :shock:. make sure your seat belts are off !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bridge_disasters

* Seta river railroad bridge, 1934 - The express train crush on bridge, caused by 1934 superpower Muroto Typhoon, at Otsu, Japan, 11 killed, 216 injured.
* Inotani wire bridge, 1949 - Many check men check about complete wood and common wire bridge fall at Toyama, Japan, 29 killed.
* Heron Road Bridge, 1966, Ottawa - 9 killed
* Silver Bridge, 1967, Point Pleasant, WV- 46 Killed,
* Benjamin Harrison Bridge, 1977 - no fatalities, ship strike
* Granville railway disaster, 1977 - 83 killed when derailed train knocked down a road overbridge.

* Hayakawa wire bridge, 1980 - New year event visitor fall with wire bridge at Saito, southeastern Kyushu, Japan, 7 people killed, injuring 15 people. This accident caused by local authority leave check and maintenance, during 10 years.
* Tjörn bridge, 1980, Sweden - 8 killed - ship strike.
* Hyatt Regency walkway collapse, 1981 - 114 killed, more than 200 injured
* Amarube railroad bridge, 1986 - The out of service train falled, that hit fish processing factory, caused by strong wind, at Kasumi, northwestern Hyogo, Japan, one train conductor and five factory workers are killed.
* Glanrhyd Bridge, Carmarthen, 1987 - Train washed off railway bridge by flood waters, 4 killed including 1 school boy drowned trying to rescue passengers.
* Sultan Abdul Halim ferry terminal bridge collapsed at Butterworth, Penang, Malaysia, July 31,1988, killing at least 32.
* Hatchie River Bridge (Hwy US-51) collapse, 1989, Tennessee - 8 killed when a 3 span section of the bridge failed due to scour of the bridge foundations.
* San Francisco Bay Bridge, 1989 - 1 killed when Loma Prieta earthquake caused upper deck of eastern truss to collapse onto main deck carrying traffic.
* Cypress Street Viaduct, 1989 - 42 killed during Loma Prieta earthquake.
* Winkley Bridge, 1989 - 5 killed when 1912 bridge collapsed from 40 students swinging on it.

* Big Bayou Canot train disaster, 1993 - 47 killed when railway bridge hit by barge.
* Seongsu Bridge, 1994 - 32 died and 17 injured.
* Koror-Babeldaob Bridge, 1996 - at least 1 killed following strengthening work.
* Maccabiah Bridge Tragedy, 1997 - 4 killed
* Interstate 794 Hoan Bridge,Wisconsin, 2000 - Partial failure, no injuries
* Hintze-Ribeiro Bridge, Portugal, 2001 - 59 killed in three cars and one bus after the collapse of the bridge.
* Kadalundi River rail disaster, India, 2001 - 57 drowned when 140-year old rail bridge collapsed.
* Asagiri footbridge disaster, 2001 - Progressing to summer firework festival, when people are stampede and panic at Akashi, Japan, at least 11 killed, 247 injured.
* Rafiganj rail disaster, India, 2002 - 130 died when terrorists sabotaged rail bridge, causing crash.
* The I-40 Bridge Disaster, 2002 - 14 killed in barge strike.
* Interstate 95 bridge over Howard Avenue in Bridgeport, Connecticut, March 2003 - Fire resulting from fuel truck crash melted the bridge superstructure, resulting in partial collapse. No fatalities; driver of the truck escaped with minor injuries.

* Sgt. Aubrey Cosens VC Memorial Bridge, Latchford, Ontario, 2003 - Partial failure, no one hurt.
* Veligonda rail disaster, India, 2005 - 114 killed when flood washed rail bridge away.
* De la Concorde Overpass collapse Overpass Collapse, Laval, Quebec,Canada, 2006 - Five dead, six injured
* Run Pathani Bridge Collapse, 80 km east of Karachi, Pakistan - Bridge collapsed during the 2006 monsoons.
* Guinea - Bridge collapses in March, 2007 under a weight of a truck packed with passengers and merchandise in southeastern Guinea - killing 65 people.[5]
* Oakland, California - Tanker explosion melts sections of the MacArthur Maze, causing them to collapse on April 29, 2007. The damaged sections are repaired and reopened by May 24, 2007.
* Guangdong, China Ship hits section of 1.600 m bridge crossing the Xijiang River near Foshan, Guangdong on June 15, 2007. 200 meters of the bridge. 9 people reported missing.
* Minneapolis, Minnesota - I-35W Mississippi River bridge over the Mississippi River, connecting downtown Minneapolis and North Minneapolis collapsed on August 1, 2007.
* Chhinchu suspension bridge - Overcrowded suspension bridge collapsed at Nepalgunj, Birendranagar, Nepal on December 25, 2007. Killing at least 19, missing another 15.

Oh, man, now I'm holding my breath for sure. :shock:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

HOLY CRAP

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

biggdowgg wrote:HOLY CRAP

BATMAN!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Back in the summer of 2000 I was doing some remodeling on my house.
The "new bridge" location had just been agreed on by Ohio/Ironton and KY/Russell, and a design approved. Then ODOT announced a $1 million+ expenditure for "retrofitting" on the existing I-R bridge.
My contractor and I were on our way together to Lowes to pick out some fixtures/doors etc., crossing the I-R bridge. He commented how ridiculous it was to spend that amount of money on a bridge that was going to be replaced. I answered, "But they know this bridge is going to have to last at least a decade before they ever get a new one built."
Here we are nearly 8 years later, and we're absolutely no closer to getting a new bridge than we were in 2000. And now they're going to spend another $1 million+ on the existing bridge - I'm revising my previous prediction from 1 decade to 2 decades before we have a new bridge!!

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Re: Do you feel safe crossing the Ironton/ Russell bridge?

Post by mvlnewlex »

thats shamefull,

We were crossing a bridge last week. I was just thinking out loud (didnt intend to freak her out) and told my fiancee "look down at the ice cold water, thats atleast 30 degrees and 20 feet deep, imagine that kind of fall". She cursed at me and started having a mini panic attack .

"honey, Shut the (bleep) up !"

LOL

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

it's pretty rough, but i don't think much of it , unless the temps are real low. they are actually supposed to close it down at like 5 degrees i think. the metal grating, is the slickest bridge i've been on in icy weather. :12223

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY I DRIVE ACROSS THE BRIDGE, STAY OFF IT'S SIDEWALK. :aaaaa5

grizzly
Freshman Team

Post by grizzly »

i cross the bridge at least twice a day, never think a thing about it

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Never mind the bridge - look out for the BIRDS!
It's nesting season for the peregrine falcons.
http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/ ... ocal03.txt

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

I'm thinking from past history they can defend themselves. 8)

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Thought you might enjoy seeing some photos of our current bridge residents.
Our female.
Another shot of our female.

Our male.
Another shot of our male.

And last but not least, their clutch of eggs for 2008. :)

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

ballparent held on to one of her students and had them take the pictures :lol: :122249

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

A couple from Cleveland took the mating pair photos, they are true falcon fans. They came to help identify the pair. The egg photo was taken.....by a friend. :12222 The eggs are those four maroon mounds in that nice fluffy pile of pigeon poop. :lol:

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

oh, how lovely.

chief
Waterboy

Post by chief »

biggdowgg wrote:doesnt scare me,,I just like to drive ..REALLY FAST ..when crossing it

I used to do this too. But then I watched Ice Road Truckers and they showed how that if the trucks went to fast they would break the ice. I am afraid the same think would happen to the bridge. So I just go steady and hold my breath.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Just make sure it is swaying and shaking if it is you are safe if it stops doing that DRIVE FAST!!! Or be ready to swim :shock:

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Just crack your window before crossing it and you will be OK.

Return to “The Off season”