Bad move by Law Co. CAO Headstart

General Chat
Frank Reagan
Varsity

Re: Bad move by Law Co. CAO Headstart

Post by Frank Reagan »

2trap_4ever wrote:Then let me make it easy for you, there are kids in that building until 6 o'clock, so legally they cannot let anyone on the property until after 6,

Legally? Really? That's funny, a legality has never been the reason given by the CAO head start people. By your definition of not letting anyone on the property until after 6, then no visitors at all could come on the premises. Hmmmmm.

2trap_4ever wrote:it is a safety issue for the kids in the building and wanting to use the court, you have to agree that where there are kids there could be people wanting to hurt kids, so it is a safety issue for everyone involved.

Believe me, if someone wants to hurt the kids, you won't stop them, period. In my line of work, I see it. That's a fact. Blaming this on the kids safety is a cop out. Oh, by the way, this wasn't one of the reasons given by the CAO, either. Hmmmm.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

ghostwriter wrote:Sounds like hdfatboy has some type of connection one way or the other with the CAO....Because he has no idea of what we are talking about....

Hdfatboy has no connection to the CAO. I'm sure of it as I've known him most of my life and he's really an OK guy most of the time. :roll: His connection to that location is that he grew up in the same neighborhood and spent lots of time playing on that property. I'm sure he's as upset at anyone with what is happening there.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

hdfatboy wrote:
ghostwriter wrote:Sounds like hdfatboy has some type of connection one way or the other with the CAO....Because he has no idea of what we are talking about....

What? - that doesn't even make sense.

The closest connections I have with the CAO is that I once knew someone who drove a van for them....and I grew up within a block of that building?

Please enlighten me if I have "no idea" what you're talking about. I've only commented that a lot of people used to play there and responded with a question about insurance.

hdfatboy, I apologize and my bad....I took your post wrong....We use to play football , whiffle ball, and basketball there all year long....Since the City School System owns the property they have to be covered by insurance....If they didn't the COA would have to have insurance....I don't see why students inside until 6:00PM would be bothered by the kids playing outside....When I go by in the afternoon....I never se anymore than 4 or 5 kids playing basketball....Ironton just keeps going down and down....There seems to be no place for the kdds to get together to play anymore....

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

ghostwriter wrote:
hdfatboy wrote:

What? - that doesn't even make sense.

The closest connections I have with the CAO is that I once knew someone who drove a van for them....and I grew up within a block of that building?

Please enlighten me if I have "no idea" what you're talking about. I've only commented that a lot of people used to play there and responded with a question about insurance.

hdfatboy, I apologize and my bad....I took your post wrong....We use to play football , whiffle ball, and basketball there all year long....Since the City School System owns the property they have to be covered by insurance....If they didn't the COA would have to have insurance....I don't see why students inside until 6:00PM would be bothered by the kids playing outside....When I go by in the afternoon....I never se anymore than 4 or 5 kids playing basketball....Ironton just keeps going down and down....There seems to be no place for the kdds to get together to play anymore....

Not a problem - it bothered me when they paved the grassy area on the 5th street side. We spent so much time playing there and whenever I've driven by I never see kids there anymore....like others have said, that playground used to be full of kids having a good time all year long.

BWH-thanks for watching my back ;-)

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Bottom line....

It isn't the CAO's responsibility to provide a basketball court or any other recreational activities for Ironton's kids.

You should take this matter up at a city counsel meeting.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

Are there disabled kids who attend this program? If so, do busses need to pull onto the "court" to pick up/drop off kids? I guess same question for parents and staff? If no disabled kids, I say, "let them play!"

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

The court is blocked off by parking blocks and parking is restricted to a lot beside the court.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

The Instructor wrote:Bottom line....

It isn't the CAO's responsibility to provide a basketball court or any other recreational activities for Ironton's kids.

Bottom line, you're right. It's isn't their responsibility to do anything for the children of Ironton who are not in their programs. It's a shame that the CAO and people like you can take such a selfish attitude but I guess this is becoming a "me" society more and more. If something doesn't benefit "me", then screw everyone else.

No reason to take this matter to city council as this is not city-owned property and not a matter of interest to them.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

someoverkill wrote:Are there disabled kids who attend this program? If so, do busses need to pull onto the "court" to pick up/drop off kids? I guess same question for parents and staff? If no disabled kids, I say, "let them play!"

No cars are on the basketball court at any time. There is plenty of room for people to walk to the entrance without encountering anyone who would be on the court.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

No, it isn't CAO's responsibility to provide basketball, but why restrict a perfectly good court that's been used for 40+ years for the good of the neighborhood.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

It's Ironton, why should we expect different?

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

Sure is sad to hear, spent a ton of days on that court growing up. Some of my most fond memories were actually playing their. Man we had a heck of a crew back in those days.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

XandOs wrote:

No, it isn't CAO's responsibility to provide basketball, but why restrict a perfectly good court that's been used for 40+ years for the good of the neighborhood.

Why don't you and some of your buddies buy a lot then put a court on it?

If someone gets hurt then sues, you all can be responsible for it.

There ya go!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

With everything else you complain about on here, I thought you'd be a bit more supportive of the kids of Ironton on this one. I guess not. :?

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

On a positive note, maybe the staff will spend a few moments picking up their clientèle's cigarette butts and used diapers after shooing kids off the court :)

buckeye221
Freshman Team

Post by buckeye221 »

Well, I do agree with you...it is so stupid and very very very petty to complain about kids just wanting to play basketball on their court. I do not understand the big deal...but I have a feeling as to why they are being like this.

I can almost bet that its because the CAO has tons upon tons of rules and regulations to go by. (which is not by their choice, the government has tons of rules and regulations) I have been involved with them several times and it never surprises me when I hear of an outrageous regulation or rule that they must go by. Although I have no idea if this is why they are being like that...but its a strong possibility! Headstart is an outstanding program...but when you are dealing with kids there are very specific procedures that must be followed, things that most people never consider or think twice about unless they have professionally worked with kids or at these facilities.

Like I said...I have no idea if that is why, just my initial thought! Its silly and ashame, but what can ya do? I just have a feeling that by those kids being there playing basketball that it probably somehow violates a certain regulation. :(

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:With everything else you complain about on here, I thought you'd be a bit more supportive of the kids of Ironton on this one. I guess not. :?

I am not complaining in this thread....you are! :roll:

If you want something done, roll up your sleeves and do it instead of whining about it!!!

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

The Instructor wrote:They took perfectly good basketball courts away from McPhereson Street a few years back to sell the property to build houses.

They promised tennis courts, etc. for that land but changed their minds.

So I guess you only care when it affects your neighborhood. Typical. :roll:

mustang_lvr
SEOPS Hippo

Post by mustang_lvr »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:
The Instructor wrote:They took perfectly good basketball courts away from McPhereson Street a few years back to sell the property to build houses.

They promised tennis courts, etc. for that land but changed their minds.

So I guess you only care when it affects your neighborhood. Typical. :roll:

I see they let BWH out of the old folks home for the weekend :lol:

IHSTiger81
Riding the Bench

Post by IHSTiger81 »

buckeye221 wrote:Well, I do agree with you...it is so stupid and very very very petty to complain about kids just wanting to play basketball on their court. I do not understand the big deal...but I have a feeling as to why they are being like this.

I can almost bet that its because the CAO has tons upon tons of rules and regulations to go by. (which is not by their choice, the government has tons of rules and regulations) I have been involved with them several times and it never surprises me when I hear of an outrageous regulation or rule that they must go by. Although I have no idea if this is why they are being like that...but its a strong possibility! Headstart is an outstanding program...but when you are dealing with kids there are very specific procedures that must be followed, things that most people never consider or think twice about unless they have professionally worked with kids or at these facilities.

Like I said...I have no idea if that is why, just my initial thought! Its silly and ashame, but what can ya do? I just have a feeling that by those kids being there playing basketball that it probably somehow violates a certain regulation. :(

Thing is, the Headstart has been there for years. So must be new regulation. If it is, they need to make that public knowledge.

Return to “The Off season”