What's for dinner/supper tonight? - RECIPES

General Chat
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: What's for dinner/supper tonight? - RECIPES

Post by dazed&confused »

Best salad I have ever tasted was at Three Forks Restaurant in Dallas.
Ingredients

Maple Pecan Vinaigrette
3/4 cup pecans, lightly toasted, plus pecans to garnish
1/2 cup apple cider
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup pecan oil
1/4 cup olive oil
Salad
8 cups greens, field greens or spinach, washed &dried
2 granny smith apples, cored, sliced into thin wedges
1/2 cup danish blue cheese, crumbled
Directions
1Combine ¾ cups pecans and apple cider in blender and puree. Pour mixture into large bowl.
2Whisk in cider vinegar, maple syrup and dry mustard.
3Combine oils and add to mixture, whisking until well combined. Makes about 2 ¼ cups dressing.
4Heat vinaigrette slowly over low heat in saucepan.
5Arrange salad plates with greens, sliced apples and crumbled blue cheese. Ladle on warm vinaigrette and sprinkle with toasted pecans.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

OVEN-BROWNED CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES - from Taste of Home

1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 tsp garlic powder [I use 1 tsp Mrs Dash Garlic & Herb]
3-4 Tbsp olive or vegetable oil
4 lg boneless skinless chicken breast halves cut lengthwise into 4 strips ea
4 medium potatoes cut into 8 wedges or chunks ea [I don't even peel them]
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced [1 use half a 1 lb pkg baby carrots]

In a large plastic bag combine soup mix, seasonings, and oil - squish to mix well.
Add chicken pieces and vegetables to bag - toss and turn to coat evenly.
Pour whole contents of bag into a 13x9 or 15x10 baking pan and distribute evenly.
Bake at 400 - 425 degrees, stirring and turning occ, 35 - 40 minutes until chicken juices run clear, vegetables are tender, and all are lightly browned.
Serve salsa on the side for garnish/dipping. Serves 4

P.S. Are all of you aware of the whole line of MRS DASH seasoning blends available in the grocery store spice aisle? They are all SALT FREE! I love them.
I don't have a medical need to restrict my sodium/salt intake, but I have more than once got something "too salty" because a lot of seasoning/spice "blends" have "salt" as their principal ingredient and I used more than one at a time.
MRS DASH offers a wide variety of spice combination blends without ANY salt!
Last edited by caglewis on Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:
FIDO wrote:I've always removed prior to baking. I agree it would be easier doing so after baking. I really don't know why I do it before. :? :? :? Habit :?:

by removing it before hand it takes all the fat out of the equation.. yes it easier afterwards but healthier before :122245 well for those of us who is watching fat intake :lol:

now to a recipe :
take a whole chicken Skin it if you wish then clean the inside out really good and stuff it with rinsed saurkraut carrots and celery if you wish season the outside with salt pepper to your liking.. bake it as you usually do and then enjoy!!

FIDO and o-n-b 365 - Have either of you ever seen or used a vertical chicken roaster like this? http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-269-Nonsti ... pd_sbs_k_1
I've had a similar one for >20 yrs. They're really neat and produce a great roasted chicken. The fat drains off into the bottom, and the skin browns, crisps, and keeps the meat moist much better than the usual way of laying the bird on its back in a pan does. It's a great way to "roast".
Habit is a funny thing - I practically always use "skinless" pieces of chicken, but I have never skinned a whole bird [as you say is your habit] prior to roasting it.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

seen them and like Fido never used it I use this ...I got it free...when I bought my george foreman family sized grill a few years ago

http://cgi.ebay.com/George-Foreman-Cont ... otohosting

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I actually own one of those GF electrical appliances and virtually never use it - maybe I need to develop some new habits!
The vertical-type oven chicken roasters I'm talking about come in a whole lot of styles, materials, and prices. I used the very cheapest type [cost me $3.00 at Big Lots 20+ yrs ago] very successfully for a long time and loved it! And not just for having a roast chicken as the entre meal! If some/any other recipe called for use of cut-up "cooked chicken" - that's how I chose to "cook" it.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I wonder how that would work on a grill caglewis ? I really like to try that vertical roaster for that purpose.. I have worn out 2 George Foreman grills just purchased my third one this one has interchangeable plates

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

FIDO wrote:
caglewis wrote:I actually own one of those GF electrical appliances and virtually never use it - maybe I need to develop some new habits!
The vertical-type oven chicken roasters I'm talking about come in a whole lot of styles, materials, and prices. I used the very cheapest type [cost me $3.00 at Big Lots 20+ yrs ago] very successfully for a long time and loved it! And not just for having a roast chicken as the entre meal! If some/any other recipe called for use of cut-up "cooked chicken" - that's how I chose to "cook" it.

Do you make chicken and dumplings? :12224

and if so,,,what day wil they be ready?? :mrgreen:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I make chicken and noodles - as attendees at last summer's picnic at YTB's house can tell you - but I use frozen Reams brand noodles [really, really good] to make it. For some reason, I can't make pasta dough to suit myself.
What do you call "dumplings"? By my definition they are light, soft, and risen - like a biscuit dough but steamed on top a stew rather than baked - and, yes, I make that. But around here, what are called "dumplings" have no leavening [baking powder] in the dough, are boiled in rather than steamed on top of a liquid, and seem to me more like thick, chewy noodles or pieces of pasta.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:I wonder how that would work on a grill caglewis ? I really like to try that vertical roaster for that purpose.. I have worn out 2 George Foreman grills just purchased my third one this one has interchangeable plates

The vertical roaster I have [very similar to the one pictured in the Amazon listing I posted] is meant for an oven with some height and both top and bottom heat sources. I don't think it would work on a grill.
I have seen slightly larger ones that had 4 prongs around the outside edge on which to stab potatoes to bake along with the chicken in the middle. And I purchased a different type/style one [don't remember where] for my granddaughter that had a can-sized cylinder in the middle on which to place the bird rather than those open taller inverted U's. You filled the "can" with beer or wine or broth to flavor and moisten the meat from the inside while the outside browned. I've also seen a very expensive ceramic rather than metal type.
But my little $3.00 Big Lots one has served me very well for many years!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I frequently use and really love "crock-pot" type recipes.

THANKSGIVING DINNER IN A POT

3-4 sweet potatoes peeled and cut up into bite-sized pieces
16 oz pkg frozen green beans
1 can cream of chicken or celery soup - undiluted
4 lg skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into strips or a pkg of chicken tenders
1 12 oz can/jar chicken gravy
1 box [maybe 2] stove-top type stuffing, prepared per pkg directions

Mix together the potato pieces, green beans, and soup - season to taste - place in crock pot.
Place all the chicken pieces on top of that combo and pour gravy over them.
Add prepared stuffing on top.
Cover and cook on low in crock-pot for 10-12 hours.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

CHEESY VEGGIE NOODLES

6-8 oz dry noodles/pasta of choice - cooked firm and drained
2 cans condensed cream soups [chicken, celery] undiluted
1 5-oz can condensed milk
Seasoning to taste
3 16-oz pkg frozen vegetables of choice, thawed [I used 1 ea green beans, corn, and carrots]
2 cups [8 oz] shredded cheddar cheese

While the noodles cook [boil for only about 1/2 the time called for on box] -
Combine soups, milk, seasoning and cheese in a lg bowl
Stir in vegetables and drained noodles

Lightly grease either a covered 3-qt casserole dish or a 4-qt crock pot and pour vegetable/noodle mixture into it.
Either bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes in the oven or cook in crock pot on high for 3-4 hours until bubbly all over.

This is a combination of recipes from 2 different sources - I used a crock pot because I needed to transport it for about an hour after it was cooked - the crock pot keeps it warm, and my sister's oven was already going to be full.
It was a hit with the under-8 crowd at Thanksgiving - hide the veggies in with noodles and cheese!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

ARROZ CON POLLO - Old Ladies' Home Journal recipe

1 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 1/2 - 3 lbs chicken pieces [I use skinless/boneless]
Seasoning to taste [I use Cajun blend]
1 cup chopped onions
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp cumin + a little more salt/seasoning for the rice
1 cup dry long-grain rice
1 can [15 oz] chicken broth
1 can [15 oz] diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can [4 oz] chopped green chilies, undrained
1 can [15 oz] black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish

In a large, deep, lidded skillet heat oil, and thoroughly brown [about 5-6 minutes per side] the seasoned chicken pieces.
Remove chicken pieces from skillet temporarily.
Add onions and garlic to skillet and cook til translucent.
Add rice, cumin, and salt, and cook and stir til lightly browned.
Add broth, tomatoes, chilies, and beans, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and return chicken pieces to skillet on top of rice mixture.
Cover skillet and simmer for 20-25 minutes until rice is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed. Sprinkle with cilantro and parsley prior to serving. Serves 4-6

If you use skinless chicken pieces, this recipe definitely qualifies as "low-fat". The rice ups the carbs a bit, but it's still reasonably "low-calorie", too. And very good! I up the "spiciness" when I'm allowed.
Last edited by caglewis on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

FIDO - "When you're able"? Do I recall a mention of "hospitalization" regarding you? Hope you're getting better.

I usually make this recipe as a side dish [and it works really well that way], but it seems to me you could add either diced ham or cooked chicken to it and turn it into a full meal fairly easily.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Mercy - your mouth doesn't work?? Accident, plane crash, fight, over-use???
Was biggdowgg involved? Good thing you only need fingers to "talk" on here!!!!
I figure you already have either a blender or a food processor and plan to make it your new best friend. Plus there are a whole lot of protein powder supplements available these days! I wish you a speedy, fairly confortable recovery.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

HERBED CHICKEN AND GRAVY

2 - 3 lbs boneless/skinless chicken pieces cut into bite-sized chunks or strips
1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
Canned or fresh sliced mushrooms [if desired - I'm not fond of mushrooms]
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning or oregano
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 can [10 oz] condensed cream of chicken/celery/mushroom soup, undiluted
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup wine vinegar
1/2 - 3/4 cup milk or water

In a skillet, thoroughly brown chicken pieces, sprinkled with the dry spices, in oil.
Add brown sugar, soup and the other liquids to skillet, and bring to boil.
Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes. - Serves 4-6.
Serve over prepared noodles, rice, or potatoes [boiled, mashed, or baked].
Or add a 16-oz pkg frozen vegetables and serve over biscuits [chicken a la king].

This is a versatile recipe - you probably have most of the ingredients already on hand, and can easily have some version of it on the table in 30 minutes or so.
You can also readily find "reduced fat" canned cream soups and "low sodium" soy sauce to comply with particular dietary restrictions.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

NO - I'm single - But on the other hand I'm also really OLD, overweight, ugly, and need a cane to walk. BUT I AM a really good cook!!! [poor housekeeper, though]
I have Swiss steak crocking along in my crock pot now that smells really good.
The point of a crock-pot is that it cooks while you are either asleep or at work and unaware of "smells". The benefit of being retired is that I get to enjoy the "smells" of preparation in addition to the taste of the final prepared product.

SWISS STEAK
5-6 med potatoes chunked up [peeled or not]
1/2 lb baby carrots
1 tsp seasoned salt
Mix all together and place in bottom of lg crock-pot turned on HIGH.

2 lbs round steak, trimmed of fat and cut into 5-6 serving sized pieces
1/3 cup flour + 1 Tbsp steak seasoning
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 med onion + some mushrooms [if desired] sliced or chopped

Dredge steak pieces in flour/spice mixture to coat, and pound/pierce meat pieces thoroughly. Then brown meat on both sides in hot oil in a skillet.
Add chopped onions and mushrooms to skillet.
When browned, add all above to the heating crock pot on top of potatoes and carrots - but keep stove-top skillet hot also.

1 can [15 oz] beef broth
1 envelope [1 oz] dry brown gravy mix
1 envelope [1 oz] dry country gravy mix
1 can [15 oz] diced tomatoes, undrained

Mix all together thoroughly and add to skillet used previously to brown steak.
Stir and scrape skillet to deglaze and get all the browned bits up from the bottom and incorporated into liquid mixture.
Bring to boil for a minute or two til thickened; then pour over the meat and potato mixture already in crock pot.
Cook on HIGH for an hour or two, then reduce heat to LOW
for another 5-6 hours. [or just on LOW for about 8 hrs]

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Thanks - but aren't we supposed to be talking about FOOD?

And on a whole other different "off-topic" subject - I have not smoked in 10+ weeks now. And as badly as I have still wanted to smoke - I have managed to resist the impulse to do so..
Touble is, the desire/craving has not lessened at all, and I'm still fighting that and just plain miserable all the time. Only "finances/affordability" [NOT any lessening of desire] continue to prevent me from "blacksliding".
Last edited by caglewis on Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:Wheres that at Hammer?? My son wants to find the Biggest burger around here.

If you want the biggest burger around this area, go to Hillbilly Hotdogs.

I love it! I went to the original one with the old bus!

The ten pound hamburger is called the Double Wide.

The five pound hamburger is called the Single Wide.

The HUGE hotdog is called the Homewrecker! Ask them how it got its name.

My mom and I got one of the Homewreckers and split it. It was very good!

We had a blast there!

There should be an OBDTF meeting there!!

http://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

My only meal was a 4pc lunch meat sand on pot. bread.

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

The ten pound hamburger is called the Double Wide....

My son named the Double Wide and has his picture on the wall for doing so...
We love to go there.......

Return to “The Off season”