Who has facebook on here?

General Chat
Runner
SEO

Re: Who has facebook on here?

Post by Runner »

dazed&confused wrote:I choose not to. Too many employers (and potential employers) would check that site. I am on LinkedIn.
That is a lame excuse. They can't check on you if you have your privacy settings set up correctly. You have the option to hide everything from everyone you want except for those you grant access. If you grant access to an employer.....that is your fault.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Runner wrote:
dazed&confused wrote:I choose not to. Too many employers (and potential employers) would check that site. I am on LinkedIn.
That is a lame excuse. They can't check on you if you have your privacy settings set up correctly. You have the option to hide everything from everyone you want except for those you grant access. If you grant access to an employer.....that is your fault.
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/ ... -205070302
The Associated Press recently reported that an increasing number of employers are asking job applicants for their Facebook user names and passwords during job interviews. This is troubling to some Facebook users because Facebook profiles often contain personal information meant to be viewed by friends and family only. The AP report generated widespread media attention and public outcry, and even prompted a statement from Facebook threatening legal action against those who solicit another person's user name and password.

While this practice is obviously disfavored in the court of public opinion, what's less clear is the legal basis for a lawsuit by Facebook or any individual subjected to it. There is currently no law that explicitly prevents an employer from asking for a current or prospective employee's social media account information.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Paladin wrote:I pass on Facebook. Waste of time.
And then there is this, with which I personally agree.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

dazed&confused wrote:
Runner wrote:
http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/ ... -205070302
The Associated Press recently reported that an increasing number of employers are asking job applicants for their Facebook user names and passwords during job interviews. This is troubling to some Facebook users because Facebook profiles often contain personal information meant to be viewed by friends and family only. The AP report generated widespread media attention and public outcry, and even prompted a statement from Facebook threatening legal action against those who solicit another person's user name and password.

While this practice is obviously disfavored in the court of public opinion, what's less clear is the legal basis for a lawsuit by Facebook or any individual subjected to it. There is currently no law that explicitly prevents an employer from asking for a current or prospective employee's social media account information.
It is not illegal for them to ask you for information (become friends)....BUT by law....you do not have to give it to them. If they persist, then it is discriminatory on their behalf, and charges CAN be filed. ......ALSO......THEY CANNOT ASK FOR YOUR PRIVATE PASSWORD.

Even if a person is dumb enough to grant them access (become friends with them)......you can limit what the employer sees. Its very easy to do.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

The thing I like the most about FB is that all the preachers and politicians are not there......they spend most of their time on here educating the rest of us about the real world.........I enjoy reading from both, some for enjoyment and some for learning how ignorant some folks are......

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

FB is a pretty cool way to stay in touch with family and long lost friends. We control what we post, just as we do on SEOPs. Most are pretty reserved in their posting because they aren't hiding behind a make believe character! :mrgreen: We are accountable for our words, not so much on this site. Posting are generally tempered. :12224

I have a couple kin folk who tirelessly post about their faith. I respect their faith but I've also found the "HIDE" button works really well!

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

I agree about keeping in touch in touch with family and friends. I have been grateful in getting back in contact with many classmates that have moved away from the area after high school. Also staying in touch with family in far away places is important.

The only things I hide on mine are all of the stupid games posts. I have also blocked nearly 200 different games from being requested. I don't hide posts other than the games. What people posts is their business, as they are the opinions of others. If don't want to respond to them ...I don't. I don't cry about them like certain people on here do about posts They will be buried within minutes anyway.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

I agree, runner! I rarely hide post but the option is there if needed. Like you said, they are hidden within an hour or two anyway.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

I also have an addon that hides 90% of the unwanted garbage on facebook on Firefox and Google Chrome browsers. I don't have to put with the ticker feed or other trash which is worthless that was forced upon users. The addon is not made for IE since not people use it and it was not worth the creators time to make it for IE.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

That's interesting. I'll look into that option.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

The addon is called Social Fixer. It is not available through your browsers addon tab. It MUST be installed directly from the developers website which is located at http://socialfixer.com/. Just choose which browser you want to install it to. Once installed it will put a "Wrench" icon at the top of your Facebook beside your name This is where you will go to adjust your settings. It already comes with many options checked. You can check or uncheck others get it set the way you want.

From time to time, you will get a pop up add from the developer asking for a donation, but all you have to do is NOT give a donation and click on the "I have already donated" tab that will appear. It will make the ad go away for quite some time. Then just repeat whenever it appears again.

NOTE: This does not remove the Timeline. To do that see my next post below
Last edited by Runner on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

courier
All Conference

Post by courier »

Does it take care of the timeline deal?

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

No, it does not remove the timeline I should have stated that when I posted above, but I have since made that edit. To do that you need to download the correct extension for your browser (Firefox or Chrome). I also have it installed. However, this only allows you to see your page without the timeline. You "May" still others pages with the timeline unless the other person has this extension added or unless they have updated the program.

For Firefox
http://download.cnet.com/TimeLine-Remov ... 14336.html

For Google Chrome
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... dedlecmpgc

Note: I just checked many of my friends pages and I am not seeing the timeline anywhere, so apparently the program has been updated

The Timeline Remove extension, once installed will make the changes immediately. There is no setting offered to replace the Timeline except to uninstall it. To uninstall it, click n the gear icon at the top of your Facebook page and go to "TimeLine Remove Setting" and uninstall.......But really....who would want to do that?

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I'm on Facebook daily. Really enjoy the pictures.

Return to “The Off season”