Do you feel safe crossing the Ironton/ Russell bridge?

General Chat
caglewis
SEOP

Re: Do you feel safe crossing the Ironton/ Russell bridge?

Post by caglewis »

Thanks, ballparent, for those great pics of our resident falcons.

Have any of you crossed the I-R bridge with brand new tires on your car? Something about the interaction of the deep tread on new [or nearly so] tires and the metal bridge deck just grabs your car [esp front-wheel drive models] and jerks it constantly - it feels like something else has hold of your steering wheel and is trying to pull it out of your hands!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Maybe we could create some sort of lottery where every time you cross the bridge, you put a quarter into the pot. The bridge is very very busy and there is hardly a minute without anyone going over it, 24 hours a day, so the pot would grow very quickly.

Then, whoever is on the bridge when it collapses wins the pot!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

'Tucky - As I'm sure you remember [you're not that much younger than I am] the Ohio Bridge Commission had exactly that - not a "pot", but a booth that you had to "throw a quarter in", in order to cross the bridge. And the bridge was much better maintained in those days! When the OBC was disbanded we got toll-free use, but a deteriorating structure as a result - and no money to fix it.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Relatively speaking as to say, the sun, I'm not that much younger (Got that from one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs :lol: ) I do well indeed remember that quarter and you know, that was quite a bit of dough back then too! you could buy five for a dollar too if you remember.

Minimum wage was 1.25 in 1965 so that quarter was 1/5 of it. That would be like $1.50 each way today! a round trip would tag on 3 bucks to everyone going over and buying cigarettes and gasoline in Russell. I bet that would slow the flow going back and forth there!

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

I remember when I worked at a retail store in Ironton, which is no longer there, we had this guy come in for an interview. He had scratches all over his face and forehead. He said he was attacked by a couple of birds while walking across the bridge. I wonder, after his interview, if he walked back across it. :shock:

Return to “The Off season”