What's for dinner/supper tonight? - RECIPES

General Chat
caglewis
SEOP

Re: What's for dinner/supper tonight? - RECIPES

Post by caglewis »

FIDO wrote:
caglewis wrote:I make chicken and noodles - as attendees at last summer's picnic at YTB's house can tell you - but I use frozen Reams brand noodles [really, really good] to make it. For some reason, I can't make pasta dough to suit myself.
What do you call "dumplings"? By my definition they are light, soft, and risen - like a biscuit dough but steamed on top a stew rather than baked - and, yes, I make that. But around here, what are called "dumplings" have no leavening [baking powder] in the dough, are boiled in rather than steamed on top of a liquid, and seem to me more like thick, chewy noodles or pieces of pasta.

Who am I to fuss over the minor details. If it is chicken and dumplings, I'm chowing regardless of how the dumplings are made. Mom's dumplings were of the thick variety but I'm not picky. 8) 8)

My bad on the food topic but I was "buttering" you up in hopes of getting a plate of chicken and dumplings.

OK, I'll gladly fix it for you; but how do you suggest I get it to Texas from Ironton?? Because first of all, it will have to get past dowgg and Ozzie in Portsmouth, so your receiving it is probably already doomed from the start!

This is the way I usually do dumplings - The original recipe [from Ladies Home Journal] called for chicken stew as the base, but I like these on bean soup, too.

CORNMEAL DUMPLINGS

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp dry parsley flakes
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
With a fork, beat together the egg, milk, and oil.
Add to dry ingredients, stirring until moistened.
Drop by small spoonsful [approx 6-8] on top of boiling soup/stew.
Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Uncover and continue simmering for another 10 minutes til the tops look "dry".

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Are any of you familiar with the Mexican dish called ALBONDIGAS SOUP?
I combined the boiled meatballs from one crock-pot recipe with a black bean and rice soup from another, and it turned out really well. I have since given both of those recipe books away as gifts so I don't remember exactly how I did it.
This allrecipes.com version is pretty close - but I remember adding 2 1-lb cans of black beans, drained and rinsed, and a 1-lb pkg of frozen corn [but maybe only 3 cans of broth] to the soup mix ingredients listed here.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Albondigas ... etail.aspx

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

reading what you cook caglewis makes me hungry and I think I gain weight reading and I am very proud of you on your success of not smoking for 10 weeks!! BTW we are getting ready to plant more wheat grass... :) I will let you know how this springs versions go.. last years lasted until about Feb. and I forgot it on the porch one warm day that turned into a cold night :122247
back to food note I don't make this much at once I make a smaller version of it

BLT Pasta Salad

Recipe by: Weight Watchers Magazine Sep99 p116

3 Points Per Serving

3 2/3 cups cooked elbow macaroni -- (8 oz. uncooked), cooked without salt I use wheat

4 cups tomatoes -- peel, seed & coarsely chopped (about 2-1/2 lbs.)

4 slices cooked bacon -- hickory-smoked, crumbled

3 cups iceberg lettuce -- (prepackaged), very thinly sliced

1/2 cup fat-free mayonnaise

1/3 cup low-fat sour cream\

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon sugar

2 teaspoon cider vinegar

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; toss gently. Combine mayonnaise ane next 6 ingredients; stir well. Add dressing to salad; toss gently. Serve immediately.

Yield: 10 cups. (10 Servings of 1 cup)

Exchanges 1-1/2 Starch 1 Veg.

Per Serving: Calories 149 (18% from fat); Protein 4.7g; Fat2.9g (sat 0.7g); Carb 26g; Fibre 1.4g; Cholesterol 5mg; Iron 0.7mg; Sodium 367mg, Calcium 18mg.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

o-n-b 365 - Thanks, but I thought you had a big family; so what's with the "I don't fix this much"? [BTW - I first read "much" as "often" before I figured out you meant "amount/volume"].
I enjoy cooking and I love reading real, literal cookbooks and trying new recipe ideas. I have also, not surprisingly, struggled with weight issues my whole life.
But I do think the online http://www.allrecipes.com site is a great resource because it provides so much nutritional info along with their recipes for all of us with dietary limitations of any variety, and it is free. [How do they do that?]

I'm glad those really "elderly", well past their "use-by date" wheat grass seeds I sent you continued to produce - it gives me hope! I wish you, your son, and the seeds all the best - lots of sunshine, only gentle rain, and no storms!

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

oh caglewis I do have a large family but heaven forbid they'd eat this :lol: I have my foods and they have theirs most of the time... I will go on the all recipes and search out some stuff to see if I can use them for weight watchers or adjust them I am not the worlds best cook so simple things work best for me!!

I am wondering if the grass seed will work I kept it in a dark cool spot we will see... I am thinking about putting some out by the dog so he has something to munch on also :)
Thanks!! :) Have a great day!!

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

today in my crock pot 1 pkg of mixed veggies frozen and then one large can of mixed veggies 3 beef bullion cubes diced petite tomato's and one can of Campbells tomato juice salt and pepper to taste onion powder to taste and about 2 tsp of splenda to sweeten it up and by cooking it on slow all day it thicken up nicely!! and is yummy and good for you :)

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

o-n-b365 - The http://www.allrecipes.com site has very specific nutritional info for all listed recipes [down in the lower right-hand corner of the page], but not the "point system" used by Weight Watchers. [They'd probably have to pay to use that.]
Believe me, this website is great and as addictive as SEOPS is. The search bar and the previous viewers' ratings comments and ideas regarding the recipes are great - interesting and helpful! Trouble is, I've sat here and searched and read all afternoon, and I haven't cooked a thing for supper! Thankfully, I still have some leftovers in my fridge.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

what I can do caglewis is take the calories fat and fiber and put it in my points calculator and it will tell me how many points for a serving :122245 I am going there right now to read!!
:lol: caglewis you have no idea how many days a week that happens to me :lol: thank goodness you can buy those individually frozen chicken breast :lol: and salads can be thrown together in seconds :122245

thanks so much for the website

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Here's the Food Network website - another great recipe reource: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and- ... index.html
They have a "Healthy Eating" tab with specific "low-" sections - look over to the upper right corner. http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/index.html

And here's what was for my dinner tonight - it's from a slow cooker cookbook Fix-It-and-Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining. However I do it in the oven not the crockpot. I think it qualifies as both low-fat and low-carb.

BARBECUED CHICKEN - serves 4-6

2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in 2 strips ea
1 tsp season salt
1 tsp grill seasoning
1 Tbsp oil
1 onion chopped fine
8 oz can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp Mrs Dash garlic and herb

Heat oil in a skillet. Brown seasoned chicken strips well on all sides.
Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
Add diced onion to skillet and brown.
Add all remaining ingredients to skillet, whisk to combine, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Return chicken pieces to skillet and stir to coat thoroughly with sauce.
Transfer to an 11X7 or 9X13 baking dish, and bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes til bubbling and slightly browned.
[If using an oven-proof skillet, just put the skillet in the oven.]

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Lg homemade salad

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

caglewis wrote:Here's the Food Network website - another great recipe reource: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and- ... index.html
They have a "Healthy Eating" tab with specific "low-" sections - look over to the upper right corner. http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy-eating/index.html

And here's what was for my dinner tonight - it's from a slow cooker cookbook Fix-It-and-Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining. However I do it in the oven not the crockpot. I think it qualifies as both low-fat and low-carb.

BARBECUED CHICKEN - serves 4-6

2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in 2 strips ea
1 tsp season salt
1 tsp grill seasoning
1 Tbsp oil
1 onion chopped fine
8 oz can tomato sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1 Tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp hot sauce
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
1 tsp Mrs Dash garlic and herb

Heat oil in a skillet. Brown seasoned chicken strips well on all sides.
Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.
Add diced onion to skillet and brown.
Add all remaining ingredients to skillet, whisk to combine, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Return chicken pieces to skillet and stir to coat thoroughly with sauce.
Transfer to an 11X7 or 9X13 baking dish, and bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 30-35 minutes til bubbling and slightly browned.
[If using an oven-proof skillet, just put the skillet in the oven.]

I may try this for me It sounds yummy!! I have a recipe somewhere here on my desk for mini cupcakes with pudding in the middle yummy

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

FIDO - Was it broccoli cheese soup? - Peddlers Restaurant had a delicious pot of that on their buffet at the last OBDTF lunch - dowgg made some comments on the number of times I went back for more.

o-n-b-365 - Here's another website for you. It's geared toward diabetics and has great nutritional info and "points".
http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

thank you so much for this site :) it is now bookmarked!!! I need to learn to do more cooking instead of depending on the Weight Watchers meals and bunny food.. of course the meals were on sale at Krogers for 1.88 I really can't cook myself a meal for that.. maybe I can find some that I can impose on the whole family :lol:
again thanks so much I appreciate it!!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Check out FITDAY: http://www.fitday.com/fitness/FoodLog.h ... 1240704000.
There are ways to record and track all kinds of things. Entering food is a bit cumbersome and slow, but you'd probably get quicker with practice.

I have now not smoked for almost 3 months, and coincidentally my 65th birthday is 3 months from now. I am making it my goal to lose 20 lbs by then.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

You can do it!!!! :122245 I made a goal of 50 by June 6th I'll be happy to get close to it. thanks for all the info and you are doing wonderful with giving up the smoking!! I look at giving that up like me giving up all the food I really really love I know if I eat it what it'll do to me food is my addiction...

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

A very small bowl of fruit loops.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/index.php
this is the low cal version not sure if I will make this one or not but for those who may like this I thought I'd share :122245
hungry girl Beef Strogataki

Use Your Noodle!

Attention, Shirataki skeptics! Our favorite noodle swap works INSANELY WELL in this creamy, beefy, head-explodingly delicious recipe. TRY IT AND SEE! Special thanks to HG subscriber Shari, who inspired this stroganoff swap-a-rama...

Ingredients:
4 oz. raw lean filet beefsteak, thinly sliced (freeze slightly before slicing)
1 package House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Noodle Substitute
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese, room temperature
1 tsp. dry au jus gravy mix (like the kind by McCormick)
1 tsp. plain fat-free yogurt
salt and bla ck pepper, to taste
olive oil nonstick spray

Directions:
Rinse and drain Shirataki noodles well. Pat dry. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave noodles for 1 minute.

Drain excess liquid from noodles. Dry thoroughly, using paper towels to soak up as much moisture as possible. Cut noodles up a bit using a knife or kitchen shears. Set aside.

Bring a large pan misted with olive oil spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Cook beef in the pan until fully cooked, about 4 minutes, flipping slices about halfway through cooking. Remove beef from the pan and set aside.

Combine gravy mix with 1 cup water and stir until dissolved. Carefully pour mixture into the pan (over medium-high heat on the stove). Add mushrooms and onion, and cook until veggies are tender and sauce has thickened, about 7 - 10 minutes.

Add cheese wedge and stir until melted. Add yogurt and stir well, until sauce appears uniform and ingredients are th oroughly combined.

Add noodles and beef to the pan, and mix until completely coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and eat up!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: entire recipe
Calories: 272
Fat: 9g
Sodium: 967mg
Carbs: 17g
Fiber: 5g
Sugars: 4g
Protein: 30g

POINTS® value 5*

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

3/4 of a enchilada dinner from walmart

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Since there are so many wonderful cooks on here, maybe the next OBDTF meeting should be a carry-in. :122245

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

The Instructor wrote:Since there are so many wonderful cooks on here, maybe the next OBDTF meeting should be a carry-in. :122245

We are going to do that at YTB's picnic next summer!

Return to “The Off season”