What's for dinner/supper tonight? - RECIPES

General Chat
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Re: What's for dinner/supper tonight? - RECIPES

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

The Instructor wrote:
OZZIEOHIO wrote:Wheres that at Hammer?? My son wants to find the Biggest burger around here.

If you want the biggest burger around this area, go to Hillbilly Hotdogs.

I love it! I went to the original one with the old bus!

The ten pound hamburger is called the Double Wide.

The five pound hamburger is called the Single Wide.

The HUGE hotdog is called the Homewrecker! Ask them how it got its name.

My mom and I got one of the Homewreckers and split it. It was very good!

We had a blast there!

There should be an OBDTF meeting there!!

http://www.hillbillyhotdogs.com/

this was just on food networks diners drive ins and dives showed the burger and then showed the homewrecker :122245

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

good ole beef roast in the crock pot with plain brown gravy it cooked until it melted in your mouth YUMMY!!!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I can never decide if crock pot beef roast or turkey breast is my absolute most favorite meal. Trouble is - both pretty well come-with gravy and sincerely need some form of potatoes to complete the meal - and of course those 2 things are forbidden forever to anyone with a weight problem.
I wilted myself some cabbage in the microwave with a slice of ham diced up with it and a small amount [about 1/4 cup] of Italian cheese melted over the top. I love cooked cabbage but really can't stand to see or smell, let alone eat, sauerkraut. Go figure.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

I had french style green beans and then a ice cream sandwich low calorie for dessert :122245
I do not miss potatoes And I thought those would be one of my down falls...
I love cabbage cooked only not raw unless its KFC coleslaw..love sauerkraut also..

my hubby had a baked potato an creamed corn with his beef :122245

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Happy Cinco de Mayo

HG Alternative! If you're under 21 (or just dance funny when you're tipsy), try this virgin version -- simply swap the tequila for an extra 1/4 cup of the soda. That liquor-less slushfest clocks in with only around 28 calories and a POINTS® value of 0*.

Berry Nice!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Sprite Zero (or any diet lemon-lime soda)
One shot (1.5 oz.) tequila
One serving (half a packet or 1/8th of a tub) sugar-free strawberry powdered drink mix (any variety, like Crystal Light Strawberry-Kiwi or Energy Wild Strawberry)
4 frozen unsweetened strawberries
2 tbsp. lime juice
1 cup crushed ice or 5 - 8 ice cubes
Optional Garnish: lime wedge

Directions:
Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend until uniform and slushy.

Pour into a nice glass and, if you like, garnish with a wedge of lime.

Drink up!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Serving Size: 1 margarita (entire recipe)
Calories: 125
Fat: 0g
Sodium: 24mg
Carbs: 7g
Fiber: 1g
Sugars: 2g
Protein: 0g

POINTS® value 2*

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

PEPPER STEAK - CHICKEN CACCIATORE - serves 4-6
[they're about the same except with different meats]

2-3 lbs boneless/skinless chicken or beef round steak cut into strips
1/3 cup flour
1/2 Tbsp seasoned salt
1/2 Tbsp grill seasoning
1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 med sz onion} - chopped finely together with the pepper,
1 green pepper} - or 1 16 oz pkg frozen pepper stir fry, chopped
1-3 stalks celery, chopped
Chopped/sliced Mushrooms - if desired
1 15-oz can diced or stewed tomatoes, undrained
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp dried oregano [or Italian seasoning]
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp garlic powder

Mix seasonings with flour and dredge/shake the meat with it to coat.
Brown the seasoned/coated meat in hot oil in a skillet.
Add remaining ingredients to skillet with the meat and bring to a boil.
Then either transfer to a crock pot and cook on LOW 7-8 hrs/ HIGH 3-4 hrs
OR reduce heat on the skillet and just let it simmer along on the stove for 1-2 hrs.
Serve over rice or noodles or spaghetti. [Or over salad greens if you're cutting carbs,]
Last edited by caglewis on Tue May 05, 2009 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Deprivation makes anything sound good! Hope you're rapidly recovering and feeling better!

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Maybe a Mushroom sandwich!! My nephew Bryson is finding some big ones!!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I am not a picky eater but mushrooms are something I could happily do without and never feel deprived!

How many of you have a pressure cooker? My mother frequently used a pressure cooker, and the clicking of the regulator jiggling was a familiar sound in our house. When I left home I got a pressure cooker of my own and used it regularly for many years - my sister has done the same - and we've never had an "accident" with one.The gasket for the lid of mine became cracked after 40 yrs or so of use; and instead of hunting for a new gasket for an old stove-top type pot, I bought myself a new programable electric pressure cooker! I love it - almost as much as I love my slow-cooker.
Several grocery stores had whole chickens on sale this week for under $1.00/lb, and I have two chickens pressure cooking right now. I'll skin and debone them when they're done and freeze most of the meat for later use. I'm cooking only for 2 now so I don't use it as often, but having "cooked" chicken [or any meat bought on sale] available in my freezer is a great time- and money-saver.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

I was scared of the pressure cookers my grandma always had one and my mother n law has one but I never would chance it...

caglewis once you cook and freeze meat how long can you leave it in the freezer??

no thank you on the mushrooms I've never been that hungry!! I grew up in a home that out of the 4 of us I was the only one who wouldn't eat them... nobody in my house eats them thank god or they would be eating it somewhere else :lol:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I'd have said about 6 mos to the freezer question off the top of my head. I looked it up and found that 2 months is the recommendation for cooked meat. But I'm pretty sure I've kept it frozen for longer.

My new electric pressure cooker doesn't even have a jiggling valve on top - totally quiet! I have a friend who was always leery of pressure cookers; so she once, quite a while ago, asked me to presssure cook a pork roast for her to make pulled pork sandwiches. When it had cooked nearly long enough I called her and said "I think it wants you" then held the phone next to the clicking regulator top on my pressure cooker. You don't want to know what she said!!! Honestly, pressure cookers are perfectly safe - and always have been! And these new digital ones even more so because the heat source is self adjusting with automatic shut-off - like the difference between an electric skillet and one sitting on a stove burner. I use mine mostly for meat rather than vegetables, though.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

I may check into one of the new kind... sounds good thanks for the info on the freezing.. Krogers has bone in turkey breast on sale this week for .99cents a pound I purchased two for the price of one ... I usually put them in my George Foreman roaster and they are so yummy that way.. I spray a little butter on it to make it golden brown

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I have cooked turkey breasts almost exclusively in my crockpot for years because I'm generally taking it to a family gathering an hour or two travel time away and crockpots travel so well and make such a nice amount of broth for gravy!
I've thrown them in my pressure cooker when I've been short on time, but I've never done one in my George Foreman roaster. Never even thought about it - told you I didn't use that appliance much!

I got a new 6-qt QVC Cook's Essentials pressure cooker on Ebay for about 2/3's the cost on QVC - a great deal, in perfect shape, and I love it! It even has a "delay start" programable setting.

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

Caglewis. One question. Or more.

What is the best evening for us to come over for supper? (or in a pinch we could be there for lunch) And what time should we be there? And exactly how many can you sit at your table? And should we bring silverware?

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

caglewis wrote:I have cooked turkey breasts almost exclusively in my crockpot for years because I'm generally taking it to a family gathering an hour or two travel time away and crockpots travel so well and make such a nice amount of broth for gravy!
I've thrown them in my pressure cooker when I've been short on time, but I've never done one in my George Foreman roaster. Never even thought about it - told you I didn't use that appliance much!

I got a new 6-qt QVC Cook's Essentials pressure cooker on Ebay for about 2/3's the cost on QVC - a great deal, in perfect shape, and I love it! It even has a "delay start" programable setting.

hmm never thought about going to e-bay jeez and my friends call me the e-bay queen LOL!! I love my George Foreman roaster pulls what fats there is away... looks like my turkey will be ready for tonight.. yummy can't wait!!!

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

caglewis, when you cook your turkey in the crock pot, what spices, if any do you use...I am thinking of doing this, for our Memoral Day get together. I have to work that day, until 3:00 and this would be great for me to take.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Philly - I don't use any. I put about a cup of water [a half inch or so] and a couple pats of margarine in the crockpot first so there's something there in the bottom to get it started and then put the rinsed turkey breast in. I don't even put salt and pepper on it. I flavor the gravy after the meat is done.

vids4 - Sorry, my house is too cluttered for company - I cook, but I don't clean!
How's your wife doing/feeling? Any better?

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

the turkey breast was wonderful!! we had corn on the cob cucumbers and tomatoes
I seasoned the turkey breast with salt n pepper and that was it today...

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I baked to chicken patties along with some fries for dinner.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

FIDO - When I make soup, it's generally a matter of throw in whatever is in my cupboard, refrigerator, or freezer with a "recipe" only as inspiration - and I'm generally combining ideas from multiple sources.
OK - "Soup" ideas start with whatever meat I have on hand and how long it will take to cook.
Given your "sensitive" mouth status and chewing ability, I suggest you start with already ground and browned meat of any variety and add cans of your favorite liquid and vegetables - such as broth or a can of "cream of" soup, a can of tomatoes, a can of beans, or frozen anything - and then add some rice or some pasta of your choice to absorb/soak up the liquid. And spice it up to your liking.
Last edited by caglewis on Fri May 15, 2009 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Off season”