Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Re: Countdown to Spring

Post by dazed&confused »

24 Days!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Any posters on here go mushroom hunting? Pretty big thing around here when spring time rolls around.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

21 Days

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

And still looking like winter for future forecasts,I kind miss seeing the cold weather leave because that means the sticky hot weather is near,but I do look forward to my garden.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

C-Bolt wrote:And still looking like winter for future forecasts,I kind miss seeing the cold weather leave because that means the sticky hot weather is near,but I do look forward to my garden.
White is not a color. I hate winter!!!!!!!!!!!!

C-Bolt
SEOP

Post by C-Bolt »

I could do without the white stuff, but don't mind the cold at all,big guys like me don't weather heat too well, so if you see a guy walking around without a coat that be me :122249

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

My motto is have Passport, will travel! Going to Phoenix and SF in the next few weeks! :122245

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

dazed&confused wrote:55 Days
By popular demand
Cool picture.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

20 Days

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Nice ones. I hope i find a few like that this spring.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

15 Days

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO

Post by dazed&confused »

http://www.scriptype.com/article_detail.php?aid=347

Hinckley Buzzard Day is March 15, Festivities on March 17
Posted: February 27, 2013 by Adam Spektor

Since 1957, every March 15, both humans and birds flock to the Hinckley Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks for the annual phenomenon of Buzzard Day.
The event, which marks the unofficial start of spring for many Ohioans, celebrates the return of thousands of turkey vultures to Hinckley Township. March 15 is on a Friday this year, a date that avid bird-watchers in the area may already have marked on their calendars, especially if they wish to be among the first to spot the buzzards. The real festivities follow on Sunday, March 17; after the buzzards have come to roost, their local admirers can celebrate. While the rest of the country may focus on St. Patrick’s Day, Hinckley Township has the option of celebrating two holidays at once.

Hinckley Reservation will buzz with activity

The Cleveland Metroparks Hinckley Reservation’s Buzzard Sunday festivities take place from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and promise a bevy of activities for avian enthusiasts. Hikes are scheduled for 9:15 a.m., 10:45 a.m. and 12:30 p.m., and for those less inclined to hike, bus tours of the reservation will take place on the hour from 10 a.m. through 2 p.m. The Metroparks will set up a platform at the Buzzard Roost for live birds of prey programs, which will be at 10 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. and will feature the beloved buzzards, hawks, falcons and other predatory birds.

Cleveland-based nonprofit Roots of American Music will organize live music performances at 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. Opposite the live music area will be a Buzzard Puppet Show for the kids, performed by Mindy Murdock of the North Chagrin Nature Center. Shows will be at 10:30 a.m., noon and 1:30 p.m.
Cleveland Metroparks’ Earthwords Nature Shop will also be present to sell buzzard-related paraphernalia.

The Hinckley Reservation’s Buzzard Roost also will be decked out with thematic displays, exhibits and additional activities, including a buzzard-themed bean bag toss, an informational wingspan display and a buzzard mural for group or family photos. Cleveland Metroparks’ Institute of the Great Outdoors, which provides guests with opportunities to learn about outdoor activities, and the Voyageur Encampment, which gives hands-on insight into historical outdoor living, will also be present.

A Buzzard Scoreboard will be on display, constantly tallying the year’s buzzard sightings. “Guests can see what times the buzzards arrive, how many of them are sighted at a time, what the largest sightings are,” said Brecksville Nature Center Manager Sharon Hosko. Hosko is also taking over as Buzzard Day’s official buzzard spotter this year, succeeding prior Buzzard Spotter Bob Hinkle. “I’ve been involved in Buzzard Day since the mid-90s,” Hosko said. “It’s an honor to be the new spotter; it’s very exciting.” This year, the Metroparks also will offer free shuttle service from Whipp’s Ledges and Bath House to and from Buzzard Roost throughout the event.

Township plans its own festivities
The township will celebrate the return of the buzzards on March 17 at Hinckley Elementary School. The Hinckley Chamber of Commerce will host an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast from 7 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the school, 1586 Center Rd. Breakfast is $6.50 for adults and $4 for children, 10 and under. The chamber is offering a discount of 50 cents to all who bring a nonperishable food donation to benefit local food pantries. Free festivities in the school include an all-day arts-and-crafts fair with more than 50 vendors displaying their wares in the gymnasium. The craft fair is open from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Vinnie, the live buzzard, will be in attendance from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Heather Barrett of the Hinckley Fire Department said there are about some vendor spaces remaining for the arts-and-craft show. Spaces are $40 with electrical hookup, and $35 without. To reserve a space, call 330-410-3039 or email barretthfd@gmail.com.
For the latest information on Buzzard Day 2013, visit the Hinckley Chamber of Commerce on Facebook.

Birds such as buzzards, which regurgitate when frightened and consume recently dead beings, might not seem particularly lovable. But in Northeast Ohio, where this bird has been adopted as a high school mascot and radio-station logo, the buzzard has found a true home.
And on March 15, they will return to the loving citizens of Hinckley Township.

Marge Jones Palik contributed to this story.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

going to be nice this weekend and most of next week

Return to “The Off season”