Does anyone know where I can find a Basset Hound for Sale?

General Chat
dukiees1
JV Team

Does anyone know where I can find a Basset Hound for Sale?

Post by dukiees1 »

I was just wondering If anyone knew where I could find a Basset Hound to buy somewhere close around this area? I appreciate anyone who would happen to know.. Thanks :-D

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

dukiees1
JV Team

Post by dukiees1 »

Thanks very much ballparent :) I had a Blue Basset Hound that died a few months ago and was going to try to get another one.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

don't pay 1600.00 at a petshop, call me before you buy. unless you find something you like locally, i'll hook you up.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

My wife has a uncle that breeds them. I can find out if he has any litters yet for you.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

there you are dear. just ask. this is the smartest bunch i know. ----------- i need to get out more :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
dukiees1
JV Team

Post by dukiees1 »

Okay well I would really appreciate anyone who can find out something for me because I am very interested so please pm me with any information you have thanks so much :-D

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

dukiees1, I hope you won't buy your pup off of a pet store. I'd like to see you get you a good pup and I included a list of reasons that I 'stole' off the internet as to what it's a bad idea to get one out of the pet store. The housebreaking alone would catch many people's eyes. I've known people who have experienced this very thing.

One thing that you might want to look into if you have the chance is to attend a dog show and talk to some of those showing the breed. Sometimes you can find someone who wishes to part with a dog that is not quite grown yet and it looks like that they'll never finish (become AKC champs) and they wish to place it in another person's home. The dog will already be housebroken, have excellent manners and probably be a pretty decent example of the breed or they'd never started to show it to start with. That's just one idea. They would at least be able to point you to some good breeders anyway.

Here's 11 reasons for not buying off a pet store.
Don’t buy that doggie in the window! I know it’s tempting.
But it’s really not a good idea. Here’s 11 reasons why:
1. Health.
When you buy a puppy from a pet shop, you’re spending a lot of money for a dog whose parents you know nothing about. Have both parents had their hips and elbows x-rayed for dysplasia? Have the parents been tested for PRA, which causes blindness? Tests are expensive, but responsible breeders do them because their goal is to produce healthy pups. What’s the pet shop’s goal? If they say “healthy pups,” ask them for proof.

2. That guarantee isn’t worth what you think it is.
Pet shops make a big deal about their “lifetime guarantees”. But ask them what happens when you need $800 to correct crippling hip dysplasia in your six-month-old chocolate Lab puppy. The guarantee requires you to give the puppy back so they can put it to sleep, which is cheaper for them. Then they give you another puppy, one who might also develop dysplasia. A guarantee like that is worse than no guarantee at all.

3. The AKC myth.
Pet shops want you to think “AKC papers” equals healthy puppies. It doesn’t. The only thing AKC registration means is that both parents are purebred and AKC registered. The mother (dam) could be a truly awful example of the breed — or worse, suffering from disease or illness — and the puppies can still be registered. Don’t believe it? Call the AKC at 919-233-9767 and ask them. A responsible breeder will of course register her puppies if the breed is one of the 150 or so recognized by the AKC, but that’s only the beginning.

4. Housebreaking.
The puppies you see in the pet-shop window have spent their lives in cages. They’ve never seen grass, or dirt, and they’ve certainly never seen carpeting. They’ve been forced to eliminate in the same place where they sleep and eat. A responsible breeder keeps the puppies very clean, and makes sure they have separate elimination areas. By the time they’re ready to go home, well-bred puppies are often well on the way to being housebroken.

5. How about socialization?
Imagine buying a puppy that has never been inside a house before! The doorbell, the vacuum cleaner, the dishwasher — those things can be terrifying to a puppy who has never seen them. What about neighborhood kids, riding in the car, or just walking on a leash? A responsible breeder exposes her puppies to all kinds of new situations, and makes sure they are confident, happy puppies when they go off to their new homes.
Plus, when you go to a breeder you generally have more than one puppy from which to choose. A responsible breeder temperament-tests her puppies to find out which ones are outgoing or shy or dominant. Then she matches up owners to make sure that active puppies go to active homes, and that a shy puppy ends up in a home that’s just right for it. If you’re going to spend all that money, it makes sense to look at several examples of the breed and then pick a dog that’s right for you.

6. What will that puppy look like when it grows up?
When you buy a puppy from a responsible breeder, you can usually meet the mother and see pictures or video of the father (sire). You can discuss with the breeder the faults each parent possesses (maybe the mother has an over bite, or the father is a little taller than the standard). You can’t predict exactly what the puppy will turn out like, but you’ll know what to expect, and you’ll know that your purebred puppy will resemble his breed. Why spend so much money on a pet shop puppy without even knowing what the parents look like?

7. Price.
For the money that pet shops want you to spend, you’d expect a lot more. Think about all the things responsible breeders do that pet stores don’t: They choose the parents based on health and temperament issues; they pay for expensive tests to make sure both sire and dam are free from disease or illness; they raise the puppies with an eye toward getting them housebroken and socialized; and they help make sure the right puppies go to the right homes. A responsible breeder never breeds just to make money, and their prices are usually lower than in pet shops. Save some money and get a better quality puppy at the same time.

8. What do you know about the breed?
Pet shops can tell you a little about the breeds they sell. And they can point you to a rack of generic breed books. That’s it. A responsible breeder will be a wealth of information about the breed you’re interested in. She’ll be able to tell you about unique breed characteristics, ways to get involved in activities your dog might be suited for, and most importantly, she knows what specific health issues to watch out for.

9. Do you want to support the puppy mills?
How do you know most pet shop pups come from puppy mills? Because no responsible breeder would ever sell their puppies to a pet store, for two reasons:
1) Responsible breeders care about the puppies they produce, and want them to go to very carefully selected homes.
2) Keeping track of litters is an essential part of responsible breeding. If two puppies from a certain litter die from liver failure at a young age, the breeder knows there’s a problem in the line and will not breed the parents again. What does that say about the breeders of pet shop pups?

10. What’s that pedigree worth?
Pet shops make a big deal out of their pedigrees, which is interesting because they just contain a bunch of names. Can the pet shop tell you how long the puppy’s grandparents lived, and what they died of? How many of the parents littermates are still alive? How long do dogs in this pedigree usually live? A responsible breeder can answer all of those questions. You get not just a pedigree, but all of the important information behind the pedigree.

hope this all will help you out some

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

I'd like to have a Jack Russell Terrier. I think from what I've researched the ones they call Rough Coat Jack Russell's, like Eddie from the Frasier TV show. We have a huge yellow lab (Simba Joe :) ) but I'd like a smaller dog too.

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

kantuckyII wrote:dukiees1, I hope you won't buy your pup off of a pet store. I'd like to see you get you a good pup and I included a list of reasons that I 'stole' off the internet as to what it's a bad idea to get one out of the pet store. The housebreaking alone would catch many people's eyes. I've known people who have experienced this very thing.

One thing that you might want to look into if you have the chance is to attend a dog show and talk to some of those showing the breed. Sometimes you can find someone who wishes to part with a dog that is not quite grown yet and it looks like that they'll never finish (become AKC champs) and they wish to place it in another person's home. The dog will already be housebroken, have excellent manners and probably be a pretty decent example of the breed or they'd never started to show it to start with. That's just one idea. They would at least be able to point you to some good breeders anyway.

Here's 11 reasons for not buying off a pet store.
Don’t buy that doggie in the window! I know it’s tempting.
But it’s really not a good idea. Here’s 11 reasons why:
1. Health.
When you buy a puppy from a pet shop, you’re spending a lot of money for a dog whose parents you know nothing about. Have both parents had their hips and elbows x-rayed for dysplasia? Have the parents been tested for PRA, which causes blindness? Tests are expensive, but responsible breeders do them because their goal is to produce healthy pups. What’s the pet shop’s goal? If they say “healthy pups,” ask them for proof.

2. That guarantee isn’t worth what you think it is.
Pet shops make a big deal about their “lifetime guarantees”. But ask them what happens when you need $800 to correct crippling hip dysplasia in your six-month-old chocolate Lab puppy. The guarantee requires you to give the puppy back so they can put it to sleep, which is cheaper for them. Then they give you another puppy, one who might also develop dysplasia. A guarantee like that is worse than no guarantee at all.

3. The AKC myth.
Pet shops want you to think “AKC papers” equals healthy puppies. It doesn’t. The only thing AKC registration means is that both parents are purebred and AKC registered. The mother (dam) could be a truly awful example of the breed — or worse, suffering from disease or illness — and the puppies can still be registered. Don’t believe it? Call the AKC at 919-233-9767 and ask them. A responsible breeder will of course register her puppies if the breed is one of the 150 or so recognized by the AKC, but that’s only the beginning.

4. Housebreaking.
The puppies you see in the pet-shop window have spent their lives in cages. They’ve never seen grass, or dirt, and they’ve certainly never seen carpeting. They’ve been forced to eliminate in the same place where they sleep and eat. A responsible breeder keeps the puppies very clean, and makes sure they have separate elimination areas. By the time they’re ready to go home, well-bred puppies are often well on the way to being housebroken.

5. How about socialization?
Imagine buying a puppy that has never been inside a house before! The doorbell, the vacuum cleaner, the dishwasher — those things can be terrifying to a puppy who has never seen them. What about neighborhood kids, riding in the car, or just walking on a leash? A responsible breeder exposes her puppies to all kinds of new situations, and makes sure they are confident, happy puppies when they go off to their new homes.
Plus, when you go to a breeder you generally have more than one puppy from which to choose. A responsible breeder temperament-tests her puppies to find out which ones are outgoing or shy or dominant. Then she matches up owners to make sure that active puppies go to active homes, and that a shy puppy ends up in a home that’s just right for it. If you’re going to spend all that money, it makes sense to look at several examples of the breed and then pick a dog that’s right for you.

6. What will that puppy look like when it grows up?
When you buy a puppy from a responsible breeder, you can usually meet the mother and see pictures or video of the father (sire). You can discuss with the breeder the faults each parent possesses (maybe the mother has an over bite, or the father is a little taller than the standard). You can’t predict exactly what the puppy will turn out like, but you’ll know what to expect, and you’ll know that your purebred puppy will resemble his breed. Why spend so much money on a pet shop puppy without even knowing what the parents look like?

7. Price.
For the money that pet shops want you to spend, you’d expect a lot more. Think about all the things responsible breeders do that pet stores don’t: They choose the parents based on health and temperament issues; they pay for expensive tests to make sure both sire and dam are free from disease or illness; they raise the puppies with an eye toward getting them housebroken and socialized; and they help make sure the right puppies go to the right homes. A responsible breeder never breeds just to make money, and their prices are usually lower than in pet shops. Save some money and get a better quality puppy at the same time.

8. What do you know about the breed?
Pet shops can tell you a little about the breeds they sell. And they can point you to a rack of generic breed books. That’s it. A responsible breeder will be a wealth of information about the breed you’re interested in. She’ll be able to tell you about unique breed characteristics, ways to get involved in activities your dog might be suited for, and most importantly, she knows what specific health issues to watch out for.

9. Do you want to support the puppy mills?
How do you know most pet shop pups come from puppy mills? Because no responsible breeder would ever sell their puppies to a pet store, for two reasons:
1) Responsible breeders care about the puppies they produce, and want them to go to very carefully selected homes.
2) Keeping track of litters is an essential part of responsible breeding. If two puppies from a certain litter die from liver failure at a young age, the breeder knows there’s a problem in the line and will not breed the parents again. What does that say about the breeders of pet shop pups?

10. What’s that pedigree worth?
Pet shops make a big deal out of their pedigrees, which is interesting because they just contain a bunch of names. Can the pet shop tell you how long the puppy’s grandparents lived, and what they died of? How many of the parents littermates are still alive? How long do dogs in this pedigree usually live? A responsible breeder can answer all of those questions. You get not just a pedigree, but all of the important information behind the pedigree.

hope this all will help you out some

Geesh, if all of this is true, then why aren't the owners of these stores getting 23 months for the mistreament of these animals? :shock:

Return to “The Off season”