Are uniforms at public schools a good idea?

General Chat

are uniforms good for your kids?

Total votes: 0

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Are uniforms at public schools a good idea?

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I think they are ...

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

I think in several locations they are.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

If they look like this I'm all for them. :lol:

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

school uniforms are a terrible idea. they take away the students' ability to be individuals as opposed to one big blob of people. dress codes are just fine as long as they're reasonable but i challange anybody to give me one good reason as to what good school uniforms serve.

and dont give me this, "it's less of a distraction" jargen. i was never once "distracted" by somebody's style of dress, be it provocative dress by females or just strange dress from anybody. and i went to athens where on any given day you could see some pretty outrageous outfits. and believe me, i did my fair share of looking, but never once did it affect my schooling.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

When I was growing up, I was against school uniforms. However, after researching this topic in college, I changed positions. I think school uniforms are a great idea. For those students who come from poor families, they no longer have to compete with the wealthy kids in terms of what to wear at school. Everyone wears the exact same thing. It is a great way to break the social stigma many kids place on what someone is wearing.

Landstuhl78
Waterboy

Post by Landstuhl78 »

Disagree. Its a terrible idea. Kids should have a choice to wear what they want. School dresscodes are fine, but be reasonable. I have to agree with Brutus. Plus kids wouldn't just accept this. Alot of kids these days would be willing to take a stand against a new rule like this.

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:When I was growing up, I was against school uniforms. However, after researching this topic in college, I changed positions. I think school uniforms are a great idea. For those students who come from poor families, they no longer have to compete with the wealthy kids in terms of what to wear at school. Everyone wears the exact same thing. It is a great way to break the social stigma many kids place on what someone is wearing.

again, my time at athens has allowed me to experience the contrary. due to it's size and the area the district covers, athens students' backgrounds vary from the very very wealthy to the very very poor. coming from closer to the letter, i never once fealt a burden to compete with my wealthier colleagues.

not to mention one of my good friends, who grew up in a financial situation worse than my own, was able to afford clothing that made it appear as if that were not so. if you just looked at him and didnt know any better, you'd think his family was nowhere near the poverty line, let alone well below it. and he did it by simply knowing where the best deals on these nice clothes can be found.

so the feeling that one must "compete" with wealthier students' apparel is nothing more than a mental issue that be overcame by the right mindset or simply knowing the right place to shop.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

Like everything it depends on the school and many other factors.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Well, it would get rid of any abuse some kids have to take because their families can't afford the name brands. Kids are cruel to each other, this would give them a few less things to pick on others about.

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
~Patrick Henry
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I think it would be a great idea myself.

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

around here, where we have alot of small schools, kids know who comes from wealthy families and those who come from poor families............... also if it isn't how somebody dresses it will be something else

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

in some cases

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
froggy48
Riding the Bench

Post by froggy48 »

Totally agree with boonedawg for the same reasons.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:When I was growing up, I was against school uniforms. However, after researching this topic in college, I changed positions. I think school uniforms are a great idea. For those students who come from poor families, they no longer have to compete with the wealthy kids in terms of what to wear at school. Everyone wears the exact same thing. It is a great way to break the social stigma many kids place on what someone is wearing.

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY!!!

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you're up to."

"Remember this, the choices you make in life, make you"

- John Wooden

"Champions never complain, they are too busy getting better."

- unknown

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

mohawkbaseball#1 wrote:around here, where we have alot of small schools, kids know who comes from wealthy families and those who come from poor families............... also if it isn't how somebody dresses it will be something else

I agree, And I think that is anywhere even in the bigger cities. you know someones social status by what the drive, where they live, and in many cases where it is small town by the last name. What a kid is wearing will not stop people from picking at their social status.

Uniforms take away from the kids individuality

Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

Boonedawg wrote:Well, it would get rid of any abuse some kids have to take because their families can't afford the name brands. Kids are cruel to each other, this would give them a few less things to pick on others about.

do you not know how to read or just refuse to do so? as i stated before, i went to school with somebody in a VERY POOR financial situation and he had no trouble affording the name brands, very nice name brands at that, simply because he knew where to look.

adolescent kids are gonna pick on eachother no matter what, if it's not one thing, it's another. so why take away the students' ability to dress how they want to dress, present themselves how they wish to do so in an attempt to prevent the inevitable?

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

the other thing here is the school does NOT buy the uniforms the parents do. and if they cannot afford the uniforms they are either given vouchers so that the state can provide a uniform, in the beginning anyways. then after things get going they are given USED uniforms. so how does that set apart the rich form the poor. I doesn't in may ways it makes the stand out even more.
And in many ways the uniforms cost more than if you go to wal-mart and buy some clothes

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Brutus8907 wrote:
Boonedawg wrote:do you not know how to read or just refuse to do so? as i stated before, i went to school with somebody in a VERY POOR financial situation and he had no trouble affording the name brands, very nice name brands at that, simply because he knew where to look.

Sounds like some of you are too young to know or understand what the words "VERY POOR" really means. :(

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
Brutus8907
All State

Post by Brutus8907 »

oh believe me, i fully understand the phrase "very poor." sounds to me that somebody is way too quick to jump on the age bashing bandwagon and didnt take the time to realize that they really dont know this person and therefore doesnt know what this person may or may not have experienced. grow up.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I had a good friend who passed away a couple of years ago. When he was a boy, he and his brothers and sisters were raised by their grandmother after their mom decided she had better things to do. He told me, and I know it's true as the other's backed it up, that they each got 2 pairs of pants at the start of the school year. They wore these 2 pairs all through the year. When the school year was over, they cut off the legs of the pants and they had shorts till the next school year. They WERE poor

Return to “The Off season”