Bad move by Law Co. CAO Headstart

General Chat
BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Bad move by Law Co. CAO Headstart

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

There is something happening at the Law. Co. CAO Headstart in Ironton that I wanted to bring to the attention of others. This is the old Central School Building located at 5th and Ellison Streets in Ironton.

This organization rents a building from the Ironton City Schools and it takes up almost 3/4 of a city block. In addition to the building there is lots of room for a fenced in playground as well as parking. The grounds also have a public basketball court, or at least it used to. The CAO has chosen to remove one of the hoops and has erected a "No Trespassing" sign near the other hoop. Just yesterday, kids were threatened with "a call to the police" if they didn't leave the court until after 6:00 pm.

In an age where many complain because kids don't get out and play, this group has chosen to take one of the few places that kids can play basketball outdoors in Ironton and make it off limits. There have been a few reasons given to individuals as to why this move is necessary but none make sense. They all boil down to the fact that people are too lazy to park farther than 4 feet from the entrance when picking up their kids.

It's a real shame that the CAO has chosen to be such a bad neighbor to those kids just looking to play outside.

Winchell
JV Team

Re: Bad move by Law Co. CAO Headstart

Post by Winchell »

Couldn't agree more BWH. We wonder why childhood and adult obesity is running rampant. Also, kids just don't know how to play anymore. I remember going down to Etna Street and playing during the Spring and Summer all day and into the night. There were so many people playing that if you lost, you would have to sit for an hour or two before playing again. Shame on the adults for being so irresponsible to our area youth.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:There is something happening at the Law. Co. CAO Headstart in Ironton that I wanted to bring to the attention of others. This is the old Central School Building located at 5th and Ellison Streets in Ironton.

This organization rents a building from the Ironton City Schools and it takes up almost 3/4 of a city block. In addition to the building there is lots of room for a fenced in playground as well as parking. The grounds also have a public basketball court, or at least it used to. The CAO has chosen to remove one of the hoops and has erected a "No Trespassing" sign near the other hoop. Just yesterday, kids were threatened with "a call to the police" if they didn't leave the court until after 6:00 pm.

In an age where many complain because kids don't get out and play, this group has chosen to take one of the few places that kids can play basketball outdoors in Ironton and make it off limits. There have been a few reasons given to individuals as to why this move is necessary but none make sense. They all boil down to the fact that people are too lazy to park farther than 4 feet from the entrance when picking up their kids.

It's a real shame that the CAO has chosen to be such a bad neighbor to those kids just looking to play outside.

:122246 insurance reasons maybe? but still they should post why and not being told why

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

I understand what you are saying BlindWhiteHat but it isn't the CAO's job to have basketball courts for the kids to use.

The City of Ironton is responsible for them.

I can understand wanting them for the kids though.

They took perfectly good basketball courts away from McPhereson Street a few years back to sell the property to build houses.

They promised tennis courts, etc. for that land but changed their minds.

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

I couldn't agree more BlindWhiteHat....The city does not own the property....The Ironton City School District does....I do not believe a renter can do what you say unless the school district (owner) gives approval....So, therefore it would be the decision of the Board of Education to let the CAO make altercations and establish rules....

It would be a good question to address at the next Board of Education meeting....

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i honestly think back when i was a youth in ironton, thats a big part of the reason that so many youth's drank. it was, and still is a personal choice. but when dad was a young un, they had 3 movie houses in ironton, a skating rink, and parks to play in. unless you fished or spent time in the country. what did ironton have to offer youth's then and now. basically spare time, and cruise line, which they've outlawed, our youth are our future. and they are spending there money , in ashland , and huntington. because they are smart enough to invest in their kids future's by offering them something to actually do. unlike my hometown of ironton. all they have is sparetime. it simply won't accomadate thousands of our youth. in this county. WE NEED TO INVEST IN OUR KIDS. CLOSING THE CORT'S IS APPALING. if it's due to insurance, simply put up a sign, play at your own risk. we accept no risk, due to injury.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

Geez, I can remember a time when the area around Central was filled with kids everyday of the week (and the school was closed by then)...it wasn't uncommon for their to be 20 or more kids out there doing something all the time.

Home run derby on the side yard.
The playground in front - which has since been fenced in.
Playing frisbee golf
Football or softball in the grass - which has been paved over.

Ah the memories.

On the insurance issue - if CAO is renting the building from the Ironton City Schools - wouldn't city insurance cover it?

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

I remember when the decision was made to pave their parking lot and some of the neighbors tried to stop it and told the CAO how it would change the face of the neighborhood. They pulled in their trucks and paved it late one night ,in the morning it was already done. Seems like the same discussion ,or lack of one happened with the city pool.

Stewy
Waterboy

Post by Stewy »

BAD MOVE. I grew up playing basketball and whiffle ball with B.J. Hannon pitching to all the kids. also frisbee golf and frisbee football. The adults in that neighborhood were great.When it got dark we would play kick the can and capture the flag.

I also lived by Etna street park for a couple years. Spring to fall the basketball courts were always in use. I learned to play tennis on those sloped tennis courts.

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

Stewy wrote:BAD MOVE. I grew up playing basketball and whiffle ball with B.J. Hannon pitching to all the kids. also frisbee golf and frisbee football. The adults in that neighborhood were great.When it got dark we would play kick the can and capture the flag.

I also lived by Etna street park for a couple years. Spring to fall the basketball courts were always in use. I learned to play tennis on those sloped tennis courts.

When was this Stewy - I did some of those things too. We played "man on the run" on my cousin and Grandma's block next to the school.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

The Instructor wrote:I understand what you are saying BlindWhiteHat but it isn't the CAO's job to have basketball courts for the kids to use.

The City of Ironton is responsible for them.

I can understand wanting them for the kids though.

They took perfectly good basketball courts away from McPhereson Street a few years back to sell the property to build houses.

They promised tennis courts, etc. for that land but changed their minds.

The city isn't responsible for that property. It is owned by the Ironton City Schools and rented by the CAO.

I realize it isn't the job/goal of the CAO to provide basketball courts for the kids of Ironton. My point is the fact that they run a headstart program which is intended for the betterment of kids. Then, they take away basketball courts that are used by.............kids. I guess the moral of the story is if your agency isn't getting government funding for a specific purpose, you should shut all other amenities down. Seem hypocritcal for a program that is set up for kids goes out and does away with a recreation area used by kids.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

Let me ask this question, if the had the courts and you child goes and plays on it and falls and breaks their leg or get a piece of broken glass in the arm diving for a ball out of bounds, who are you going to complain to, you child for playing ball there or the CAO. At central they run a daycare/preschool, none of those kids can really play basketball, and have you hung around some of the local courts now days, all there is is trouble, now if they keep the courts and you kid breaks a window or even worse someone breaks into the place, who is going to pay for the repairs, will you pay for them if you child is at fault, I don't think anyone on here will, if everyone is worried about what their children have to do in town, then go to the city and complain, tell them you want more basketball courts or anything for your kids to do. I read in the orignal post the kids were told they could come back after 6, that is because the have a daycare program going on until 6 so up till 6 school is still in there, secondly, if ppl didn't park on the court and kids play ball, how many times have any of you gone to throw a ball and the person didn't catch it, are any of you willing to pay car repair bills because you child couldn't catch a basketball, or going back to the whole diving for a ball, if your child dives for a ball and goes through a car windshield or window, while their are still children in school there, are you going to sue when you child shouldn't have been on school grounds while school is in session, let me give another example, if Coal Grove get out of school early, should our children get to come to Kingsbury and play on that playground while Ironton is still in school, it is the same thing.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

That is possibly the most confusing post I've read on SEOP in a long time but I'll try to answer your question. No, I wouldn't sue anyone if my child got hurt unless someone else was negligent which wouldn't be the case here. If you don't believe me, I could give you an example where my child was hurt and it was someone else's fault and no one was sued.

I disagree that there is trouble everywhere there are playgrounds with basketball courts. There have been several posters talk about innocent fun that's been had at these places. I would certainly pay for any damages that my child caused and I have been down that road before with my kids also.

You seem to be a doom and gloomer that constantly expects something catastrophic to happen which is really sad. Believe it or not, there are still kids out there who want to remain active and just go out and have fun from time to time without some sort of crime spree attached.

The city does not own or maintain this property. It is owned by the Ironton City Schools and operated by the CAO.

The cars don't park on the court itself. People park near the court and walk across the court. Those are the people that complain about this issue in my opinion. The remaining hoop is probably 100 feet from the entrance so there is plenty of room left for the hoop to remain without interfering with people coming and going.

As far as your comment about Coal Grove kids playing at Kingsbury during school, that is a separate issue. Most schools lock their playgrounds for the safety of the kids attending school. It has nothing to do with basketball. The CAO erected a fence that encloses a large play area. I see that as a safety measure to protect their kids and I see no problem with that.

Stewy
Waterboy

Post by Stewy »

hdfatboy wrote:
Stewy wrote:BAD MOVE. I grew up playing basketball and whiffle ball with B.J. Hannon pitching to all the kids. also frisbee golf and frisbee football. The adults in that neighborhood were great.When it got dark we would play kick the can and capture the flag.

When was this Stewy - I did some of those things too. We played "man on the run" on my cousin and Grandma's block next to the school.

Mid to late 70's!!!

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

BlindWhiteHat wrote:That is possibly the most confusing post I've read on SEOP in a long time but I'll try to answer your question. No, I wouldn't sue anyone if my child got hurt unless someone else was negligent which wouldn't be the case here. If you don't believe me, I could give you an example where my child was hurt and it was someone else's fault and no one was sued.

I disagree that there is trouble everywhere there are playgrounds with basketball courts. There have been several posters talk about innocent fun that's been had at these places. I would certainly pay for any damages that my child caused and I have been down that road before with my kids also.

You seem to be a doom and gloomer that constantly expects something catastrophic to happen which is really sad. Believe it or not, there are still kids out there who want to remain active and just go out and have fun from time to time without some sort of crime spree attached.

The city does not own or maintain this property. It is owned by the Ironton City Schools and operated by the CAO.

The cars don't park on the court itself. People park near the court and walk across the court. Those are the people that complain about this issue in my opinion. The remaining hoop is probably 100 feet from the entrance so there is plenty of room left for the hoop to remain without interfering with people coming and going.

As far as your comment about Coal Grove kids playing at Kingsbury during school, that is a separate issue. Most schools lock their playgrounds for the safety of the kids attending school. It has nothing to do with basketball. The CAO erected a fence that encloses a large play area. I see that as a safety measure to protect their kids and I see no problem with that.

Then let me make it easy for you, there are kids in that building until 6 o'clock, so legally they cannot let anyone on the property until after 6, it is a safety issue for the kids in the building and wanting to use the court, you have to agree that where there are kids there could be people wanting to hurt kids, so it is a safety issue for everyone involved.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

2trap, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

ghostzapper
JV Team

Post by ghostzapper »

hdfatboy wrote:

Same thing here.....those were the days (kick the can and wiffle ball) and Central School was always "PACKED"!......Shame on the CAO on this matter and hope it can be solved!

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

ghostzapper wrote:
hdfatboy wrote:

Same thing here.....those were the days (kick the can and wiffle ball) and Central School was always "PACKED"!......Shame on the CAO on this matter and hope it can be solved!

We should have a Central School neighborhood reunion and wiffle ball tournament....show the CAO what productive citizens we've all become because we played on that lot :lol: Plus, we could show the kids today that you can actually play outside for hours on end....not tv and controller in hand!

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

Sounds like hdfatboy has some type of connection one way or the other with the CAO....Because he has no idea of what we are talking about....

hdfatboy
Freshman Team

Post by hdfatboy »

ghostwriter wrote:Sounds like hdfatboy has some type of connection one way or the other with the CAO....Because he has no idea of what we are talking about....

What? - that doesn't even make sense.

The closest connections I have with the CAO is that I once knew someone who drove a van for them....and I grew up within a block of that building?

Please enlighten me if I have "no idea" what you're talking about. I've only commented that a lot of people used to play there and responded with a question about insurance.

Return to “The Off season”