SEOPS HO

Re: Witnesses say -- Ironton Police drag body several blocks

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Just read this on wowk
onton Police Cruiser Involved in Fatal Pedestrian Crash
Posted Sunday, March 9, 2008 ; 09:49 AM
Updated Sunday, March 9, 2008 ; 11:30 AM

Family members speak with 13 News

IRONTON -- A pedestrian is killed after a crash involving an Ironton Police Department Cruiser Saturday night.

The Ironton Police Department said the crash occurred around 9th and Jefferson Streets just before 10 p. m. The Ohio Bureau of Investigations has been notified and the Ironton Police Department has asked them to conduct an independent investigation.

The victim's family tells 13 News, the victim is Guy Thomas, 46, of Ironton. Family member said Thomas was at the American Legion and left to walk home around 9:30 p.m. From there, family members said information is vague about what happened next. But what they do know is that officers did not discover Thomas' body until the cruiser was back at the Ironton Police station.

The Ironton police officer involved will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Stay with 13 News for continuing coverage of this developing story. Hear from Guy Thomas' family members tonight at 6:00 p.m. on Weekend Live Tonight.

Copyright 2008 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

http://www.wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=vi ... ryid=35790

IHSTiger81
Riding the Bench

Post by IHSTiger81 »

If he was hit at 9th and Jefferson Streets and the body not discovered until the Police Station, which is where the video is shot, that would be about 8-9 blocks. My goodness, how could someone not know they were dragging a body? And how was it "discovered" under the car? I'm confused. Guy was a couple of years ahead of me in school and a super nice,well...guy. :122249 Really sad.

IHSTiger81
Riding the Bench

Post by IHSTiger81 »

Yes, according to the aunt who spoke on the news, that is where they "discovered" the body. She said he was hit at 9th and Jefferson. The Police Station is on Vernon Street (behind the City Building) between 3rd and 4th Streets. From 9th to 4th is 5 blocks alone.From Jefferson to Vernon is another 3 blocks. That is 8 blocks. Crazy. Again, I ask. How can you drag a body and not know? How can you hit a body and not know. I've hit a squirrel before and heard that!

henrysteele
JV Team

Post by henrysteele »

I went to IJHS and IHS with Guy. My heart goes out to his family.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

:aaaaa46 hmm I think someone is not speaking the truth there is no way in the world you wouldn't know you'd hit and no less drug someone at least 8 blocks :!:

IHSTiger81
Riding the Bench

Post by IHSTiger81 »

According to the family when speaking to the media, the police have yet to contact them. This is still as of 6pm Sunday evening. They (the family) found his torn up wallet and a shoe a short distance from where he was hit. The family hasn't even ID'd the body. They do know it was him, but have gotten no information from the police department. :?: :?:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

this is absolutely tragic i've known guy and his entire family, since junior high school. his brother died tragically about 10 years ago. in a drowning incident in the ohio river. and i played football, with the older brother. sure has been a traumatic time for this great family. prayers from this household. :|

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I just saw this on the news how horrible for the family. What cop hit him?

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

If the roads were snow covered and icy I could somewhat see where you might not know you hit the guy I was out at about that time and it was really snowing here and the roads were icy. If he was in the road and covered with snow maybe this could of happened . Nonetheless it sounds very fishy though. How sad for his family and the cop who did it and for the whole police department.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

no way you hit , and drag a man 9 blocks , and don't know it. i don't care what the weather is. ------------------------------------------------ NUFF SAID.

IHSTiger81
Riding the Bench

Post by IHSTiger81 »

I think the police officer knew something was hit. The body was discovered when he got to the police station, which leads me to think that he knew he hit something, waited until he got to work, got out of the cruiser, looked around and discovered it was a person. I agree with the family. If this had been just a citizen, this person would be arrested for a hit and run. Not only did I know Guy, but one of his older brothers as well, and sister. Super nice family. Prayers to them.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

The officer could have thought he hit some snow or something and didnt realize it was a person. How many of us woudl have gotten out to check? We would have been like oh I hit some snow or something I'll check when I get home. One time when I was going to school in Canton we all went to the movie sand it started snowing while we were inside. When we lieft visibiliy wasnt very good. We start home and we turn down this back road and start hearing this thump noise every 10 feet or so. We didnt know what it was we didnt get out to check either. We just continued home after we turned off that street we did not hear that noise anymore. We get back to campus see nothing wrong with the jeep. So we just dismiss it the next morning in the paper that street we had been on had all the mail boxes run over. Thats when we figured out what the noise was. When we turned we turned onto the sidewalk and not the street. So weather could have played a part in this tragedy.

IHSTiger81
Riding the Bench

Post by IHSTiger81 »

I totally agree. I think he knew he hit something, but like I said, waited until he got to work to check it out. Maybe, just maybe, this person, slipped on the ice and was already on the ground. The officer heard something as he was driving?? Maybe it wasn't a direct hit after all. Who knows at this point. But forever more, TALK TO THE FAMILY! That just seems cruel.

Irontonian
Freshman Team

Post by Irontonian »

This is just pathetic. How on earth does a trained police officer, who spends the majority of his day behind the wheel of a police car, not notice that something is wrong with the vary same car he drives all day. Huh! :roll:

Guy was a very good person. He never bothered anyone. My prayers go out to his family.May god grant them the peace that the IPD has denied them by refusing their right of information (as the victims family).

The IPD (despite their major screw up) needs to show this family the respect they deserve and at least communicate with them. If they (IPD) were smart they would be going out of their way to develop some kind of rapport with the family, especially since they could very well make it hell on the IPD for a long time (ie, lawsuit).I dont get it, If this had been an ordinary citizen, who hit a pedestrian and drug him any length, the citizen would be charged with some sort of "hit and run" violation. The officer should be held at a higher standard. I know that they are trained in the academy on driving safety. He knew something was wrong the minute he hit the man. He should have gotten out and checked "the scene" right then (NOT 10 BLOCKS LATER). I noticed they arent trying to release the officer's name either. The police chief seems to believe that this was an unfortunate accident and the officer did nothing wrong (based on reports from the local media).Seems to me the IPD is giving the officer more respect than they are giving the victims family right now. And they wonder why the community (especially the black community) has no trust for them.HMMMMMMMMM?
I hope and pray they handle the remainder of this entire investigation better than they have so far. God knows what really happened out there and he is in control of all things.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

so was this guy "passed out" in the street, when he was hit? I can't believe he didnt know he hit someone, but if the guy was passed out, i could see hitting him? I guess we will have to await toxicology reports from an autopsy. Did anyone actually see the guy get hit? Did they chase after the cruiser screaming for it to stop? Or was this guy hit after being passed out in the street? What was his condition when hit? Awake and alert or not? Big difference if you are looking for criminal intent here.
Do you all think the policeman aimed at this guy, hit him and dragged him on purpose?

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

Do I here LAWSUIT?

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

okay you knew you hit something but wouldn't a person make a pretty loud thud ?
Or if he was already laying there wouldn't it made a noise? Come on do you really hit something or someone in this case and not stop and look or even look in your mirror??? :122248
Prayers to all families involved..

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

NO, HE WAS WALKING, I TALKED TO OLDER BROTHER JUAN TODAY. THEY ARE HAVING A MARCH FROM THE CRASH SITE TO THE POLICE STATION.

THIS IS THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS THING I HAVE EVER HEARD OF IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. I CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR THE ACTUAL EXPLANATION , FROM THE OFFICER, UNBELIEVABLE. I'VE KNOWN THE FAMILY, NEARLY ALL MY LIFE. AND I AM EXTREMELY UPSET OVER THIS HAPPENING. :|

TigersGameDayFan
JV Team

Post by TigersGameDayFan »

How did blood get onto the sidewalk?

Irontonian
Freshman Team

Post by Irontonian »

TigersGameDayFan wrote:How did blood get onto the sidewalk?

I wondered that too. It was on the curb at 9th and jefferson too.???????????

Return to “The Off season”