ODIE O'DONNELL Loses Battle With Cancer

General Chat
BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Re: ODIE O'DONNELL Loses Battle With Cancer

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

I had the privilege of having GAHS, Jottings and Odie in the van-mobile at the girls state tourney a few years back. He was a good man with a wealth of knowlege about not only Blue Devil history but also about all the local teams. RiverRatRay and myself had the opportunity to eat with this group one Friday nite at the K of C before a Tiger-Blue Devil footbal game and share some good football tales. I know GAHS and Jottings as well as all the sports fans in the local area have lost a good friend.

RIP Odie

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

Condolences to all the Gallia faithful who had affiliation with Odie and especially, his family.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Sad to hear this. I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of years ago, and he was a fine gentlemen. The Gallipolis community has lost a good man and a great supporter of Blue Devils athletics.

loganlocos
SEOP

Post by loganlocos »

RIP Odie.

It's a sad day for all of Southeastern Ohio with one of the last of the "old guard" of the SEOAL have moved on. My prayers go out to the O'Donnell and the Gallipolis community for the loss of a great man.

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

My heart goes out to his family. My family will pray for his.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

prayers to the blue devil fans,and to the family.

esp.

gahs4evr,,,and jottings,,I know this is hard for them

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I HAD NOT HEARD THIS TILL TODAY. HE WAS A GREAT GUY. HAD THE PLEASURE ON SEVERAL OCCASIONS. WHAT A GREAT GUY. PRAYERS TO HIS FAMILY, FROM OUR HOME.

RiverRatRay
SEOPS HOF

Post by RiverRatRay »

I can remember the first time that I met Odie, also known on SEOPS as Offsides. Steve Ebert introduced me to Odie at one of the Ironton-Gallia Academy football games. Odie and I talked for several minutes on the track at the field and did this man ever leave an impression on me. I couldn't believe how much he knew about folks from Ironton. He knew most of them better than me and I didn't think that was possible. In all of the times that I talked with Odie, never did he ever say anything bad about anyone. He was one of the nicest men I believe I ever met. From the first time we met. it seemed liked we had been friends forever. Odie we will all miss you. I know this will leave a tremendous void for your traveling buddies gahs4ever and jottings. Odie may you and all the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God rest in peace, Amen.

RIP Offsides

jiveturkey
Freshman Team

Post by jiveturkey »

I always loved hearing Odie announce the games at GAHS.

Odie was a great guy.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

You never knew a good laugh until you heard the friendly way he and Junior Wilson would bicker at each other sitting a scorers table.

A lot of good stories go out of this world with Odie.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

rip

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I first met Odie in the late 60's at G & J's Auto Parts. I always asked for him when I needed a part. He had a wealth of knowledge in car parts. He will be greatly missed :!:

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

My sympathy goes out to the friends and family.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

My wife and I just returned from the
Willis Funeral home in dowtown Gallipolis. It took us more than a hour to go through a huge line to pay our last respects to Odie.

While there, ran into several SEOAL newsmen--Randy Heath, mayor of Jackson and writer and radio broadcaster and PA announcer for Jackson, Craig Dunn, sports editor of the Logan Daily News and now a stat man for the SEOAL; Tom Metters, retired sports editor of the Athens Messenger and former league statistician and current stringer for the Messenger; Bob Willis, Wellston, last charter member of the SEOAL Sportswriters and Radio Broadcasters Assn., and current correspondent of the Wellston Telegram who also has a radio show on WKOV along with his friend Gary; and Gary Swinehart, former Logan Chieftain basketball coach and Steve Ebert, who succeded Odie as official GAHS scorekeeper this past winter.

carbon_dated
All State

Post by carbon_dated »

I always welcomed any story/tale that Odie O'Donnell would offer during our get-togethers at the state boys basketball tournaments. He was a gentleman and I'm sure the GAHS community will miss him dearly.

To his family, condolences are extended from the carbon_dated household and I hope in the years to come he will look down on his Blue Devils and see plenty of wins.

Cancer, man, I hate that disease. It takes too many of the great ones from us.

Fan-o-Southern
Varsity

Post by Fan-o-Southern »

I met Odie in '77 working at what used to be G&J parts store in Gallipolis, downtown.

I enjoyed his fellowship.

I betcha's Heaven's games will be more interesting now!!

GodSpeed

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and Gallipolis.

The people in every town that give so much time to support their school and their community. These people that are a part of our childhood memories. I only wish a person like this could truly realize how many other people truly value them why they are alive. There are probably people that they didnt even know very well..who are now mourning their loss.

but they all seem to be so very humble.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

It started raining Monday and didn't let up until
Wednesday evening, or as GAHS 4-Ever said, it was tears from Heaven after Odie passed away.

Noted Logan Athletic Director Ron Janey at Wednesday's funeral services. Ron is a former North Gallia, GAHS and Logan coach and a former sports star and graduate of Gallia Academy. Didn't get to see him Tuesday during calling hours, but longtime friend and retired Pt. Pleasant football coach and athletic director Steve Safford was among the more than 500 who paid last respects to Odie.

SW HIGHLANDER GRAD
Waterboy

Post by SW HIGHLANDER GRAD »

Many years ago when i was young my mother worked for the Carter family who had the store in Cadmus i would be sitting on one of the benches in the store and Odie would come in when he worked for G&J after they would order the stuff they needed he would come over and sit down and talk about the GA teams and sports he loved his sports i would listen and learn.Odie to me was wise about his sports and the GA teams he loved so very much you could tell that by listening to him and he would talk about the other teams in area i would let it all soak in. He would talk about other things also and i just loved to see him walk in the store and hear what he had to say.I'm just glad to have been a friend of his and to have known him. He will be missed so much by all. We lost a loved one and heaven gained a great one. Odie i'll get to see you again, God has promised us that, if were ready when its our time to go, your suffering is over, talk to the angels about your GA teams till i get there and then we can talk some more. :cry: :cry:
From my family our thoughts and prayers go out to your family and friends.

Return to “The Off season”