Sometimes You Just Feel Lucky To be Alive

General Chat
ballparent
S

Sometimes You Just Feel Lucky To be Alive

Post by ballparent »

We passed through here about a half hour before this large boulder fell last night on Rt. 52, so, yes, sometimes I feel lucky to just be alive and thank God that I have another day to enjoy. :12222
An employee with the Ohio Department of Transportation uses an end loader to remove a boulder from U.S. 52 Wednesday evening.

By Teresa Moore/The Ironton Tribune

Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:24 AM EDT
Ohio Department of Transportation crews spent part of Wednesday evening clearing a rock slide off U.S. 52.

“The rock fell west of the cement plant bridge,” transportation manager Bill Patrick explained. “The fire department watched traffic for us and we went over with an end loader and pushed it into a ditch.”

One of the westbound lanes was blocked for a time shortly after 7 p.m.

The rock slide came after repeated heavy rains Tuesday and Wednesday.

Patrick said, however, that state roadways in Lawrence County are passable today in spite of high water concerns elsewhere in the state.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Sometimes You Just Feel Lucky To be Alive

Post by biggdowgg »

HEY...that looks just like a rock Kentucky is wanting?

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

biggdowgg wrote:HEY...that looks just like a rock Kentucky is wanting?

He can have this one, better than on my head, 'cause I know this would have left a mark!
:aaaaa52

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I think you would need more then that band aide :122246 :shock:

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

FIDO (Forget It Drive On) wrote:I'm glad no-one was injured. Someone must be looking over you and family.

Biggdowgg always did like throwing rocks! :twisted:

we all had our thing :mrgreen: :twisted:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I'M GLAD YOU WERE NOT INJURED.

sportsfanatic85
Varsity

Post by sportsfanatic85 »

Glad no one was injured.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Thank God HE was watching out for you! Glad no one was injured..
Do the have the falling Rock Sign up? Down in the mountains they do and someone we was with keep saying where in the world is this town Falling Rock at I keep seeing the signs for it for the past 20 miles will we ever get there? :122246

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

this happened to me in hanging rock, ohio many years ago. i had just left the hanging rock area , heading towards franklin furnace, and in my rear view i witnessed rocks crashing and rolling across the highway, right after i passed by. man did i feel lucky. they ended up shutting down that stretch of road and doing a lot of blasting and rock removal. it went on for months. big time delays :shock: :shock:

Manwithplan
All State

Post by Manwithplan »

It's been some years ago, but when I was living in Columbus, I was coming home on Christmas Eve, and I passed a rock slide in Hanging Rock. I could be wrong, but I believe that a man was killed in that accident.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

just a reminder to be thankful

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

manwithplan wrote:It's been some years ago, but when I was living in Columbus, I was coming home on Christmas Eve, and I passed a rock slide in Hanging Rock. I could be wrong, but I believe that a man was killed in that accident.

Yes there was, I'm sure TTT remembers the sad evening. The man who was killed was an employee of Dow Chemical and was going to pick his daughter up from a friend's house. I remember the phone call on that Christmas eve. :|

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I don't mean for this to sound frivolous given the serious nature of the preceeding posts..............................
But I find the juxtaposition [YTB's favorite word] of the green overhead highway exit sign "Rt 650 - Hanging Rock" and a yellow roadside warning sign "Danger - Falling Rock" just past it wonderfully ironic - first it's "hanging" - then it's "falling". Very dangerous "Rock" - literally!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I would have thought that a bunch of scuba divers from Portsmouth would have been in charge of removing it, not a guy on an end-loader ;-)

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

If that rock had made it from the hill to the River, we'd have way more than just "highway" problems!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I personally know several people who's cars were destroyed and one of them was hurt fairly seriously back in the mid-70's by falling rocks around the Ashland Bridge. The state termed it - 'An Act Of God' and from what I understand, were not liable. Then..they scraped more off the hill and erected that barrier to prevent God from hurling rocks down on the highway.

Which, reminds me of when we were poor and first married and our transformer went out down the street which destroyed our television set..the power company then told me that it was 'an act of God' and that they weren't responsible. We were left without a set and too poor to get another for a while. A few months later the transformer went out and this time they put a larger transformer in place. Now God apparently couldn't destroy that one :roll: ....I've not forgot the power company over that, who knows? maybe one day this dog will have his day? :aaaaa35

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

ballparent wrote:
manwithplan wrote:It's been some years ago, but when I was living in Columbus, I was coming home on Christmas Eve, and I passed a rock slide in Hanging Rock. I could be wrong, but I believe that a man was killed in that accident.

Yes there was, I'm sure TTT remembers the sad evening. The man who was killed was an employee of Dow Chemical and was going to pick his daughter up from a friend's house. I remember the phone call on that Christmas eve. :|

Jim Spence was the man that got killed in that slide...........head operator in the Ethafoam plant at Dow.........

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

That was a rough Christmas TTT. :?

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

I get nervous driving behind a log truck. or a truck loaded with rocks.

Return to “The Off season”