World Autism Day 4/2/2008

General Chat
orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

World Autism Day 4/2/2008

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

To those who do not know this my youngest son has recently been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome which is a form of Autism. many insurances will not cover medical or therapy bills for these children. What people need to make the lawmakers understand is even though they have make too much money these children need some kind of coverage through the state to help their families. Start at the top with Governor Strickland and go down through the troops! Thanks so much below is all the info.
WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY
>
> * *
>
> *April 2, 2008*
>
> *The Ohio Statehouse • Columbus, Ohio 43215 • South Lawn*
>
> *11:00 AM - 12:30 PM*
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> 1.) Please attend the rally and schedule appointments with your Senator
> and Representative
>
> 2.) Bring signs about Autism needs - like We need health insurance
> coverage, pass HB 170!
>
> 3.) Kids are welcome
>
> 4.) Plan to walk over and visit Representatives outside the House
> chamber with the rally organizers after the rally to drum up support for HB
> 170 Autism parity
>
> 5.) Bring an umbrella in case it rains
>
>
>
>
>
> See everyone 4/2!!
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________________________________
>
> *Autism Awareness Rally Planned at Ohio Statehouse*
> *5th Annual Rally*
>
>
>
> *April 2, 2008*
>
>
> The Centers for Disease Control now reports that the incidence of autism in
> the United States is 1 in 150 children. There are over 10,000 families in
> Ohio dealing with this urgent public health problem every day. Ohio
> individuals with autism, advocates, families, and state legislators will
> gather for the Autism Awareness Rally at the Statehouse in April, which will
> be declared by Governor Ted Strickland as Autism Awareness Month in Ohio.
>
>
>
> Rally participants will be calling for immediate legislative action to
> respond to this growing health crisis, including passage of HB 170 Health
> Insurance coverage, a Senate companion bill of HB 170, a Medicaid Waiver and
> many other issues. The rally will take place on the South Lawn of the
> Statehouse at 11 a.m. until 12:30 PM on Wednesday, April 2, 2008, which has
> been declared WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY BY THE UNITED NATIONS!
>
>
>
> *The following people will be speaking at the rally:*
> Ken Carano, Governor Strickland's Regional Director - Region 12, NE Ohio
> State Senator Jason Wilson (D - 30, St. Clairsville)
> John L. Martin, Director of the Ohio Department of MRDD
> Barb Yavorcik - Co-President of Autism Society of Ohio, Parent of a child
> with Autism
> State Senator Steve Stivers (R - 16, Columbus)
> John Connelly, Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission, Executive Director
> Dr. Becky Morrison - Oakstone Academy in Columbus, Founder, with students
> State Representative Ted Celeste (D - 24, Columbus)
> Mrs. Georgia Backus - The Rich Center at Youngstown State University,
> Director
> State Representative Kevin Bacon (R - 21, Columbus), Parent of a child with
> Autism
> Dr. Jacqueline Wynn - Nationwide Children's Autism Center, Director
> Shelley Hendrix - Director of State Advocacy Relations, Autism Speaks,
> Parent of a child with Autism
> Tom Lather - Ohio Dept. of Education - Office of Exceptional Children,
> Interim Director
> Sophia Augier - Parent of 3 boys with Autism
> State Representative Jon Peterson (R - 2, Delaware), Parent of a child with
> Autism
>
>
>
> *The Autism Society of America and Autism Speaks do not endorse or recommend
> any providers, methodologies or services from any of the groups or companies
> listed below that will have tables at the rally:*
>
> Autism Speaks, Autism Society of Ohio, Autism Society of America - Central
> Ohio Chapter, Cleveland Clinic Children's Hospital Center for Autism,
> Nationwide Children's Hospital Center for Autism, Haugland Learning Center
> and Consulting, Columbus Public Schools - Reach Program, Habilitation
> Services, Milestones Organization, School Choice Ohio, Bittersweet Farms,
> ODMRDD, OCALI, COFEAT, DAFEAT, Outrun Autism, Disability Resource Network,
> The Rich Center for Autism at Youngstown State University, Oakstone Academy
> and Community School, Potential Development Program Inc., MetDESK, Hattie
> Larlham Center for Children, Dayton Autism Society, Autism Center of
> Southeastern Ohio (ACSO), Ohio Rehabilitation Services Commission (RSC),
> Columbus Speech & Hearing Center, Relate & Grow, KidsLink Neurobehavioral
> Center, Aspirations - Nisonger Center at The Ohio State University
>

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Re: World Autism Day 4/2/2008

here is a link to explain the bill:
http://www.lbo.state.oh.us/fiscal/fisca ... 0170IN.htm
Thanks again :122245

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

ONB365, your son is so lucky to have you in his corner fighting for his rights and needs. I always feel that special children are often given to special parents. No one except another parent of a special needs child can remotely understand the day to day struggles, and joys that are encountered being their parent. You can't quit, you can't give up (no matter how frustrated or tired you get) because in the end, you're all they have.
I thought you might enjoy reading this uplifting story about one of our local children.

http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/2008/03/21/news/local04.txt

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

OK, this ticks me off and I hope the state NEVER reinstates the funding for these creeps. Here we have ONB, fighting to get services and coverage through the state for her son and Ohio has been (up to now) spending $ 1.3 million a year on sexual abusers giving them therapy. What's wrong with this picture? Give the money to the state's children instead of these pedophiles, rapists, and the like. Onb, I'll spend today e-mailing who I can.

Ohio stops state-funded treatment for paroled sex offenders
Mar 23, 2008 @ 09:32 PM
Herald-Dispatch.com
AKRON, Ohio (AP) — The state has stopped paying for counseling services for paroled sex offenders because of budget constraints, a move that leaves many offenders without the ability to pay for much-needed therapy, critics say.

The decision by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction means there are high-risk sex offenders going unchecked, said Dr. James Orlando of Summit Psychological Associates, which treats about 200 sex offenders in Summit, Stark, Portage, Tuscarawas and Mahoning counties.

“They are being left to their own devices not to re-offend,” Orlando said. “If we don’t find a way to manage them in the community, there are going to be more sex offenses and more people are going to be victimized.”

The state payment of $35 per counseling session enabled offenders to get treatment, said Orlando, who plans to approach county mental health boards to fill the funding gap.

In the meantime he has set up a sliding scale payment system with minimal co-payments. But many paroled sex offenders are unemployed and find it difficult to find jobs because of their felony records, Orlando said.

The state-funding cut was part of a $71 million reduction in the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction’s budget. Ohio had spent about $1.3 million a year :mad: funding external treatment programs for sex offenders, said Linda Janes, a deputy director in the department.

“We feel absolutely awful about the cuts but it’s a consequence of the budget crisis,” Janes said.

The state is trying to shift the task of counseling paroled sex offenders to the department’s Adult Parole Authority, which could begin in May, Janes said.

Sex offenders on parole would be able to go to adult parole offices, which are located in every county, for treatment and counseling, she said.

Orlando said the goal of sex-offender treatment is to give offenders the tools to control their urges.

“Even though you (an offender) will still have deviant desires, you won’t act on it,” he said.

Lancer_Fan
Varsity

Post by Lancer_Fan »

I have a great nephew who is Austistic.... My niece has come into problems with insurance coverage also! He is 7 years old and she is home schooling him due to the lack of a good program in the area. She takes him to Michigan several times a year to see a doctor who treats Autism. He has taught her many different things to do with him, and she was lucky to find him! He is VERY expensive though! Any form of insurance would be so helpful but Autism is not seen as an illness!! How can it not be? The government is turning a blind eye to many of the children in our country!!
Why in this country can the government let SO MANY children go without proper care while spending their parents tax dollars on mindless drivel??

ONB I am forwarding this to my niece, she lives in Athens if you ever just want any advice that she may have! Or just to talk...... Just PM me and I can give you her contact numbers...

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

ballparent wrote:ONB365, your son is so lucky to have you in his corner fighting for his rights and needs. I always feel that special children are often given to special parents. No one except another parent of a special needs child can remotely understand the day to day struggles, and joys that are encountered being their parent. You can't quit, you can't give up (no matter how frustrated or tired you get) because in the end, you're all they have.
I thought you might enjoy reading this uplifting story about one of our local children.

http://www.irontontribune.com/articles/2008/03/21/news/local04.txt

thanks!! I am teary eyed right now after reading that story its wonderful that this dog has helped him overcome the meltdowns I am sure every one is different but they are interesting! Thanks Ballparent for sharing this! :122245

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Lancer_Fan wrote:I have a great nephew who is Austistic.... My niece has come into problems with insurance coverage also! He is 7 years old and she is home schooling him due to the lack of a good program in the area. She takes him to Michigan several times a year to see a doctor who treats Autism. He has taught her many different things to do with him, and she was lucky to find him! He is VERY expensive though! Any form of insurance would be so helpful but Autism is not seen as an illness!! How can it not be? The government is turning a blind eye to many of the children in our country!!
Why in this country can the government let SO MANY children go without proper care while spending their parents tax dollars on mindless drivel??

ONB I am forwarding this to my niece, she lives in Athens if you ever just want any advice that she may have! Or just to talk...... Just PM me and I can give you her contact numbers...

thank you lancerfan I will keep your niece in mind! I may pm you with some questions later today got to get some schooling done first!

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

ballparent I found this article this afternoon and guess who is paying for this service yep
you and I! :evil:
Suspicious medical maladies put criminal suspects in the hospital, not jail — and you’re footing the bill

By Steph Greegor, The Other Paper, Columbus
March 24, 2008

Over the past decade, Columbus police Sgt. Rich Weiner has dealt with a slew of newly arrested suspects who complain that they require hospitalization, often for diabetes or chest pain. But he’s come to realize that, more often than not, they’re faking it.

“If we arrest a guy, he might say he’s short of breath or his blood pressure is high and he needs to go to the hospital,” said Weiner. “But this is after he’s just smoked a crack pipe and been chased down two blocks by police. Now, wouldn’t your blood pressure be elevated? Of course it would.”

The maladies arrestees typically complain of are cardiovascular and insulin troubles, said Weiner, who has learned a trick or two on how to unravel a bout of convenient hypochondria.

“When I was on the street, if I sensed they weren’t being truthful, I’d look at my clock and tell the prisoner, ‘I’ll take you to the hospital, no problem, but I just want to let you know that you’re gonna miss dinner,’” said Weiner. “And then all of a sudden he was fine, and it was like, ‘No, no. I don’t need to go to the hospital.’”

Weiner said letting a prisoner know he may have an extra day in jail if his trip to the hospital postpones court action also can provide mystical healing powers.

But if a prisoner sticks to his story, Weiner said, the police can’t take any chances.

“We’re not medical professionals; we’re law-enforcement officials,” he said. “We don’t want to get into the business of making health assessments. That’s not our job.”

Mark Barrett, chief deputy in charge of corrections for the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, is aware that arrestees feign illness to avoid jail, but he said it’s the exception and not the rule.

“For the most part, everyone is accepted into jail,” said Barrett. “Medical care is just a necessary evil that all policing agencies are required to deal with. Columbus police, as well as the county — we have liability issues we have to deal with. So we have to provide medical care, whether it’s real or not.”

Franklin County provides prisoner health care to the tune of $10 million annually, Barrett said. Once a prisoner becomes a ward of the county, municipalities no longer pick up the tab unless the person requires medical attention that the county’s medical facilities can’t provide.

But municipalities are put in the position of picking up the medical tab at two critical moments: if the arrestee needs medical attention at the time of arrest and if the county jail turns the arrestee away. Barrett said the jail can refuse to accept a new prisoner for anything from an open wound to elevated blood pressure.

If an arrestee is turned away for medical reasons, the city might be stuck with the medical bills. That often depends on the seriousness of the criminal charge the prisoner faces.

“If it’s a misdemeanor, which is not an offense of violence, then the officer has the discretion of taking that individual to the clerk of courts and giving them a summons. We then take that person to the hospital, but the bill is on them,” said Weiner.

“On felonies, though, it’s a different story. You can’t just let a felon go. That’s when we’re guarding them until we can get medical clearance to take them to jail.”

Hospitals, Weiner said, will bill private insurance first. But if there is none, that’s when the bill comes to the police ?division.

“It’s frustrating to let someone go on a misdemeanor,” said Weiner. “It’s equally frustrating to have to guard someone in the hospital and know they’re racking up bills for a condition that doesn’t exist.”

Prisoners complaining of medical maladies are taken to hospitals all over Columbus. A small sample of bills from one of those hospitals, Ohio State University Hospital East, is enlightening.

Columbus paid bills for 26 prisoners taken to OSU East in February and March of 2007.

Eleven prisoners required a minimum of two major medical procedures each. Most of those 11 also received IV therapy or extensive pharmaceutical and lab testing. Only one was admitted to the hospital and received room and board.

Ten other prisoners received one procedure each. Then came five who required no medical procedures whatsoever and were released either with or without self-administered meds.

And while most of the 26 were indicted, there was one criminal who got double his money’s worth — he ran up a $900 bill he didn’t have to pay and later had all charges against him dismissed.

“It’s frustrating for street officers and street level supervisors to watch criminals exploiting the system,” said Weiner. “It’s them adapting to a system we have established.”

Barrett agrees: “It’s where the courts are on this. They have set the standards, and we’re legally obligated to comply with them.”

It generally sticks in Weiner’s craw that taxpayers end up footing medical bills incurred by criminals — sometimes even a result of the crime itself.

“If you’re in the commission of a felony, you should foot the bill for your actions,” said Weiner. “You’ve made the choice to commit the crime, and you should be held responsible.”

But that argument doesn’t necessarily hold legal water, said Columbus City Attorney Rick Pfeiffer.

“If you’re going to arrest people, there’s a cost for incarceration,” said Pfeiffer. “And that’s the reality of it.”

He said whether an arrestee is actually sick is irrelevant.

“When you arrest someone, you have deprived a private citizen of his or her liberty,” said Pfeiffer. “And since you have decided that that person has broken the law, you have to take care of that person. You have to give them a bed to sleep on, a pot to use, food to feed them. And if they’re sick, you have to provide health care.”

It’s a tradeoff, he said, that Columbus citizens have to live with.

“Whether they’re in the hospital or they’re in the jail, what Columbus citizens are paying for is to have criminals off the streets,” he said.

The good news is that the city does get some relief on the bills it pays. Most area hospitals have a voluntary agreement with police to charge Medicaid reimbursement rates instead of the maximum amount for procedures.

For example, those 26 arrestees from February and March racked up bills totaling $51,918.40, but the actual billed amount from OSU East paid by Columbus was $9,740.34 — a discount of 81.2 percent.

But, Columbus police legislative liaison Mike Weinman said not every health-care provider is so willing to discount prices.

“There are outfits that won’t do it voluntarily and continue to charge us the maximum rate,” he said, “primarily emergency room physicians at OSU.”

Ohio State spokesman David Crawford was unable to provide a definitive answer as to the billing procedures of the university’s ERs and their physicians.

But it’s safe to say that the issue is such a point of contention that state Rep. Kevin Bacon, a Columbus Republican, introduced House Bill 453, which requires all health-care providers to charge municipalities and townships the Medicaid reimbursement rate.

“It comes down to predictability: Townships and municipalities need to have an idea of what costs they’re going to incur when they take someone to the emergency room,” said Bacon.

Weinman doesn’t want to shirk the duty of paying for health care.

“We just want to pay the same rate that county and state agencies are already paying — and that’s the Medicaid rate.”

Pfeiffer agreed, saying Bacon’s bill is a necessary measure. “Anything to control the cost for local government is helpful,” he said.

Still, everyone agrees on one thing: There really is no good solution for catching a criminal who’s feigning illness.

“How do we really know they’re faking it?” Pfeiffer said. “We don’t. So police must err on the side of caution.”
http://www.athensnews.com/news/local/20 ... riminal-s/

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

Here's some contact information:

To write your representative in the Ohio House:
http://www.house.state.oh.us/jsps/Voice.jsp

To contact your Ohio Senator:
http://www.senate.state.oh.us/senators/index.html

To contact Governor Ted Strickland:
http://governor.ohio.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=448

Let your voices be heard and demand that our state's children come before sexual abusers and criminals when it comes to funding.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

ballparent wrote:Here's some contact information:

To write your representative in the Ohio House:
http://www.house.state.oh.us/jsps/Voice.jsp

To contact your Ohio Senator:
http://www.senate.state.oh.us/senators/index.html

To contact Governor Ted Strickland:
http://governor.ohio.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=448

Let your voices be heard and demand that our state's children come before sexual abusers and criminals when it comes to funding.

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:here is a link to explain the bill:

365 I know your struggles, my son was told to have autism last year, and for people who don't know, everyday is a struggle with a child that has autism. Also if you are going to be in Columbus that day I may see you there.

For people who don't know about autism, let me give you an idea of it. My son is 3 years old but thanks to autism he has the mental development of a 1 and a half year old. My wife turned down a job because she is afraid to leave him alone with anyone else, it takes someone special to care for a child with autism. ONB I know your pain with coverage, we were about two days from a medical test for my child when our insuarance called me to say that the only way they can cover the procedure is if we pay 75% of the cost which would have been 3,000 dollors, well after going around with the company and talking to everyone from the rep to higher management we finally got it covered but alot of people would not go through what I did to get it covered, we shouldn't have to fight like that at all to get help for our children.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

2trap_4ever wrote:

365 I know your struggles, my son was told to have autism last year, and for people who don't know, everyday is a struggle with a child that has autism. Also if you are going to be in Columbus that day I may see you there.

For people who don't know about autism, let me give you an idea of it. My son is 3 years old but thanks to autism he has the mental development of a 1 and a half year old. My wife turned down a job because she is afraid to leave him alone with anyone else, it takes someone special to care for a child with autism. ONB I know your pain with coverage, we were about two days from a medical test for my child when our insuarance called me to say that the only way they can cover the procedure is if we pay 75% of the cost which would have been 3,000 dollors, well after going around with the company and talking to everyone from the rep to higher management we finally got it covered but alot of people would not go through what I did to get it covered, we shouldn't have to fight like that at all to get help for our children.

I was told that I probably couldn't a IEP for him today because his IQ is high.. He has meltdowns and says exactly what he is thinking about people or things they do.. I have become very thick skinned.. one day last week he meowed ALL DAY! he cannot stand being with a large group and he doesn't like people coming into his personal space.. another reason I pulled him out of school this year.. some kids parents couldn't handle him bothering their kid.. when their child was observed coming to mine not the other way around it was still wrong for my kid to express himself :122246 He is not a breakfast eater so mornings seem to be worse and then when he eats his lunch he seems to mellow out more.. I am going to start documenting that for the doctor.. I so far have not been turned down for any care but we are in the beginning stages...

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

Orange -n- brown,
My daughter has Asberger's.Ballparent is right --- you are your son/daughter's best advocate. If you ever need someone to talk to or anything pm me. My daughter is 25 and lives with us. She can be a handful. She can also be very loving. When she was young our insurance didn't cover speech therapy or physical therapy. I sold crafts at King's Daughter's gift shop to help pay for her therapy then. With a sliding fee scale at the Speech Therapy Center my fee was $30.00 a session - 2 x a week. I feel your pain.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Mouth's Better Half wrote:Orange -n- brown,
My daughter has Asberger's.Ballparent is right --- you are your son/daughter's best advocate. If you ever need someone to talk to or anything pm me. My daughter is 25 and lives with us. She can be a handful. She can also be very loving. When she was young our insurance didn't cover speech therapy or physical therapy. I sold crafts at King's Daughter's gift shop to help pay for her therapy then. With a sliding fee scale at the Speech Therapy Center my fee was $30.00 a session - 2 x a week. I feel your pain.

Thanks!! He really is developed in the speech area some days he is more uncoordinated but is doing better I got him a jump rope to practice with and its his social skills that is his biggest thing! We are getting things sat up for that.
He can be the happiest best little boy and then the next minute tell me how much he hates me etc. I just tell him yep I know he does and go on about my business.. its all I can do and give lots of hugs and kisses when he is in the happy mood :122245

2trap_4ever
S

Post by 2trap_4ever »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:
2trap_4ever wrote:

I was told that I probably couldn't a IEP for him today because his IQ is high.. He has meltdowns and says exactly what he is thinking about people or things they do.. I have become very thick skinned.. one day last week he meowed ALL DAY! he cannot stand being with a large group and he doesn't like people coming into his personal space.. another reason I pulled him out of school this year.. some kids parents couldn't handle him bothering their kid.. when their child was observed coming to mine not the other way around it was still wrong for my kid to express himself :122246 He is not a breakfast eater so mornings seem to be worse and then when he eats his lunch he seems to mellow out more.. I am going to start documenting that for the doctor.. I so far have not been turned down for any care but we are in the beginning stages...

ONB I know your pain about large groups, we cannot go shopping, actually if we go shopping we will go in the store get him something to drink in there(most likely a pepsi, he doesn't get that very much and he won't throw fits)and we have from the time he starts till the time he ends to get what we need and get out, if he finishes and we don't then,,the only way I could put it is hell on earth and I know you know what I am talking about, our son screams, throws things, I have even been in shouting matches with other customers, they think it's bad parenting, then I say no it's autism, he doesn't know any better. In fact my wife has stopped going to church with me and our other 3 because we can't take him to church, he screams, and it's not fair to the other people their to have to have him screaming in church. We have an IEP on our child and we have been told he will have one for the rest of his school career, in fact they keep adding to his, we will given a copy of his the other day and they have he has a hard time eating with untensils, we have never notice this but apparently they have. My son is three years old and doesn't talk, he will try to say a few words but he is at a one and a half year old level, it is rough and with you being at the beginning stages the only thing I can tell you is stay strong, you are you childs best friend and strongest companion, you will get through this.

Mouth's Better Half
Varsity

Post by Mouth's Better Half »

My daughter's biggest problem is hersocial skills. I probably should have explained that. Speech therapy for her was for learning to interact with others . Her speech is understood she just isn't great at social cues during a conversation. When she isn't happy, nobody is happy at our house. The holidays are the worst.
She wants things to go a certain way and if they don't, she has a meltdown. She is a great young adult - don't take this the wrong way, but my other children have learned to cope with her.She has a routine - don't mess with it. No one can understand what we go thru with her except a parent of a child like her. I love her dearly but there are days I need a break from her and she I'm sure would like one from me.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

For people who don't know about autism, let me give you an idea of it. My son is 3 years old but thanks to autism he has the mental development of a 1 and a half year old. My wife turned down a job because she is afraid to leave him alone with anyone else, it takes someone special to care for a child with autism. ONB I know your pain with coverage, we were about two days from a medical test for my child when our insuarance called me to say that the only way they can cover the procedure is if we pay 75% of the cost which would have been 3,000 dollors, well after going around with the company and talking to everyone from the rep to higher management we finally got it covered but alot of people would not go through what I did to get it covered, we shouldn't have to fight like that at all to get help for our children.[/quote]
I was told that I probably couldn't a IEP for him today because his IQ is high.. He has meltdowns and says exactly what he is thinking about people or things they do.. I have become very thick skinned.. one day last week he meowed ALL DAY! he cannot stand being with a large group and he doesn't like people coming into his personal space.. another reason I pulled him out of school this year.. some kids parents couldn't handle him bothering their kid.. when their child was observed coming to mine not the other way around it was still wrong for my kid to express himself :122246 He is not a breakfast eater so mornings seem to be worse and then when he eats his lunch he seems to mellow out more.. I am going to start documenting that for the doctor.. I so far have not been turned down for any care but we are in the beginning stages...[/quote]

ONB I know your pain about large groups, we cannot go shopping, actually if we go shopping we will go in the store get him something to drink in there(most likely a pepsi, he doesn't get that very much and he won't throw fits)and we have from the time he starts till the time he ends to get what we need and get out, if he finishes and we don't then,,the only way I could put it is hell on earth and I know you know what I am talking about, our son screams, throws things, I have even been in shouting matches with other customers, they think it's bad parenting, then I say no it's autism, he doesn't know any better. In fact my wife has stopped going to church with me and our other 3 because we can't take him to church, he screams, and it's not fair to the other people their to have to have him screaming in church. We have an IEP on our child and we have been told he will have one for the rest of his school career, in fact they keep adding to his, we will given a copy of his the other day and they have he has a hard time eating with untensils, we have never notice this but apparently they have. My son is three years old and doesn't talk, he will try to say a few words but he is at a one and a half year old level, it is rough and with you being at the beginning stages the only thing I can tell you is stay strong, you are you childs best friend and strongest companion, you will get through this.[/quote]
when my little guy was younger I would grab pretzels from we're rollin in the mall and he would munch on those and be content.. before I knew he had anything ...
we went into a store this evening had to buy new phones it was cheaper than buying new batteries for old phones.. anyways my ADHD ODD son said something and the ball was rolling :122246 I gave my oldest son the look and he knew to zip it quick and went to another isle and I looked at the youngest let him have his say and then asked him to remember good words and thankfully I must of said it in a way he felt things was okay he calmed down quickly.. each day is more interesting... it wasn't the best breakfast in the world but he ate hash rounds for breakfast from bk but he was calmer this morning got him to do several things for school! YEAH!!! so the trick is to get some food in him before 12 and life is calmer yeah right! :lol: thanks to everyone who has responded on here I knew I wasn't alone but it is nice to talk to someone who knows what you are going through.. and of course no two children are alike but alike enough to share things!
:aaaaa49 well I am sure I will end up with an IEP even though he has a high IQ I have a wonderful peds doc who will help :122245 he's not to happy with the school anyways..

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Mouth's Better Half wrote:My daughter's biggest problem is hersocial skills. I probably should have explained that. Speech therapy for her was for learning to interact with others . Her speech is understood she just isn't great at social cues during a conversation. When she isn't happy, nobody is happy at our house. The holidays are the worst.
She wants things to go a certain way and if they don't, she has a meltdown. She is a great young adult - don't take this the wrong way, but my other children have learned to cope with her.She has a routine - don't mess with it. No one can understand what we go thru with her except a parent of a child like her. I love her dearly but there are days I need a break from her and she I'm sure would like one from me.

sorry wasn't thinking about the speech helping the social skills having a moment :122248
I look forward to the days I get MY DAY its sometimes just a few hours but they are soooooooooooo nice! I love him dearly but to keep sanity we must have our time!

mvlnewlex
All Conference

Post by mvlnewlex »

Autism is a very sad thing. God Bless the parents who raise these children.

There are many types of disabilities. But right now, I believe the two biggest challenges to our society is Autism and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Both are very different, 1 is totally preventable and the other is not, but the gradual impact on society is equally huge.

It does not get addressed nearly enough by our leaders. But thank God there are people fighting the good fight.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

just wanted to shift this back to the top for a day thanks to anyone that have gotten a hold of your representatives!! I am fortunate right now I have not had to battle for coverage for my son.

Return to “The Off season”