Summer gasoline use to drop 1st time since 1991

General Chat
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Summer gasoline use to drop 1st time since 1991

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Demand down price still going up.

Record-high gasoline prices will reduce U.S. demand for the fuel this summer by 85,000 barrels per day compared with last summer, the first drop in summer motor fuel consumption since 1991, the government's top energy forecaster said on Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080407/us_ ... asoline_dc

Bassmaster
S

Re: Summer gasoline use to drop 1st time since 1991

Post by Bassmaster »

I'd say it's a good time to adjust your 401K and pick up a little more Exxon/Mobil stock. :idea:

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

It's about time something curbed consumption. Spoiled Americans aren't going to do it unless forced... that's for sure.

someoverkill
JV Team

Post by someoverkill »

In my last 5 vacations in the summer, I have never seen the price go down.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

The suv's seem to be multiplying on the used car lots :122246

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

O&B - I agree with you, the used car lots are filling up with SUV's. There are new used car dealers popping up in Athens and Meigs county, selling what I consider to be "junk" for the most part, but they seem to have plenty of big SUV's in decent condition, at a "firesale" price :roll:

I was on E. State Street today, and had a lady pull out and nearly hit me in a new extended version Cadillac Escalade. Of course, she was by herself, and was having difficulty manuvering that behemoth through pretty heavy traffic.

I honestly believe that we are on the brink of America ending it's self-indulgence on driving the biggest "because it is safer or better" mentality. I remember the oil embargo of '73 very well, the rationing of gasoline, and the "pain" all of the Americans felt when they had to opt out of buying 4500 Lbs vehicles, that drove like you were sitting in your living room.

The day of the Ford "Enormous" SUV are about to end, and everyone needs to think about what a vehicle is for, which is transportation, not a status symbol. When four bucks a gallon hits us, let's see how many Escalades, Denalis, Expeditions, Tahoes, and Envoys are out there on the road.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

I'm getting a denali when its soooooo cheap I can say I have one :lol: :lol: :lol:
actually my days of wanting an SUV is over I'm getting a Honda Van soon I have one all picked out I hope they have it by the time I can get it :-D no more cars NO ROOM! This old girl needs room to move about

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

You'll enjoy the Odyssey, it is a very nice vehicle. And you will definitely enjoy the space!!. The gas mileage is much better than any SUV (excluding Hybrids), so I hope you get your wish and enjoy your Honda!

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:The suv's seem to be multiplying on the used car lots :122246

I noticed today on a small local GM dealer that they had 2 fairly new Hummers sitting on their used lot. I thought if you could afford a Hummer you could afford the gas. ;-)

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

I assume that the small local GM dealer is the "SuperStore" down Pomeroy way???

Boy, I wouldn't want to be carrying the note and paying the interest on these two high dollar hogs........... :roll:

Return to “The Off season”