What kind of world do we live in

General Chat
2trap_4ever
S

What kind of world do we live in

Post by 2trap_4ever »

(CBS) A Port St. Lucie, Fla., mother is outraged and considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class.

Melissa Barton says Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo had her son's classmates say what they didn't like about 5-year-old Alex. She says the teacher then had the students vote, and voted Alex, who is being evaluated for Asperger's syndrome -- an autism spectrum disorder -- out of the class by a 14-2 margin.

As a father of an autistic son this makes me sick, I really do believe that this teacher needs to lose her job period. How in the h--- do you do this to a special needs child.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Re: What kind of world do we live in

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

2trap_4ever wrote:
(CBS) A Port St. Lucie, Fla., mother is outraged and considering legal action after her son's kindergarten teacher led his classmates to vote him out of class.

Melissa Barton says Morningside Elementary teacher Wendy Portillo had her son's classmates say what they didn't like about 5-year-old Alex. She says the teacher then had the students vote, and voted Alex, who is being evaluated for Asperger's syndrome -- an autism spectrum disorder -- out of the class by a 14-2 margin.

As a father of an autistic son this makes me sick, I really do believe that this teacher needs to lose her job period. How in the h--- do you do this to a special needs child.

Amen!!
kinda the same situation we were in.. except the kids didn't vote... as that child mine has had two doctors conquer that is his problem and we are scheduled to go to the kelly o'leary center @ Cincinnati's childrens in Jan. hopefully sooner

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I think this teacher has been watching a little to much Survivor. When you read stuff like this there really is no words needed to describe how stupid this is.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

tigercannon71 wrote:I think this teacher has been watching a little to much Survivor. When you read stuff like this there really is no words needed to describe how stupid this is.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- EXACTLY, THIS AIN'T NO FREAKIN GAME SHOW. THIS IS LIFE. FIRE THE TEACHER FOR ALLOWING THE VOTE. AMEN, TC71. :aaaaa35 :aaaaa35 :aaaaa35 :aaaaa35 :aaaaa35 :aaaaa35

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I agree that the action taken by that teacher was ill-advised.
But what do you suggest as an alternative? How is a teacher supposed to single-handedly maintain control and supervision of a classsroom and promote a "learning environment" in the face of constant disruptive behavior by any one student for whatever underlying reason?
I agree, sympathize with, and applaud parents of kids with special needs who want the best for their kids. But as a parent of any of the other kids in that class, I would want the teacher to be able to TEACH rather than be forced to deal constantly with the disruptive behavior problems of one particular child.
Sounds to me like that teacher wasn't provided adequate resourses or back-up, and a bad situation [which was probably created by budgetary/funding or political choices at much higher levels] is being hung around her/his neck.
Last edited by caglewis on Wed May 28, 2008 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

THAT WAS JUST FLAT OUT MEAN , ON HER PART. SHE SHOULD HAVE SOUGHT COUNSEL FIRST. LOOKING FOR OPTIONS. HE/SHE WHOEVER IT WAS. :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa52 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10 :aaaaa10

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

caglewis wrote:I agree that the action taken by that teacher was ill-advised.
But what do you suggest as an alternative? How is a teacher supposed to maintain control and supervision of a classsroom and promote a "learning environment" in the face of constant disruptive behavior by any one student for whatever underlying reason?
I agree, sympathize with, and applaud parents of kids with special needs who want the best for their kids. But as a parent of any of the other kids in that class, I would want the teacher to be able to TEACH rather than be forced to deal constantly with the disruptive behavior problems of one particular child.
Sounds to me like that teacher wasn't provided adequate resourses or back-up, and a bad situation [which was probably created by budgetary/funding or political choices at much higher levels] is being hung around her/his neck.

No amount of budget funding problems or disruptive behavior on the part of any student would excuse a teacher for humiliating a student like this. She made a very wrong choice.

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

Post by mohawkbaseball#1 »

the kid should have been in a special needs class

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ballparent wrote:
caglewis wrote:I agree that the action taken by that teacher was ill-advised.
But what do you suggest as an alternative? How is a teacher supposed to maintain control and supervision of a classsroom and promote a "learning environment" in the face of constant disruptive behavior by any one student for whatever underlying reason?

No amount of budget funding problems or disruptive behavior on the part of any student would excuse a teacher for humiliating a student like this. She made a very wrong choice.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I AGREE A MILLION PERCENT. 40 LASHES FOR THIS TEACHER.

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

mohawkbaseball#1 wrote:the kid should have been in a special needs class

Students with special needs aren't isolated anymore, except in very severe cases. It's called inclusion. Teachers are trained and have resource teachers as backup to adapt their lessons to every child.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

THESE, I THOUGHT WERE IN EVERY SCHOOL DISTRICT. IF NOT THEY NEED TO GET WITH IT, WHEREVER IT IS. RIDICULOUS THIS COULD HAPPEN IN AMERICA. THAT KID WILL NEVER FORGET THAT, ------------ NEVER. HE COULD BECOME SUICIDAL OR ANYTHING NOW. :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30 :aaaaa30

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

ballparent wrote:
mohawkbaseball#1 wrote:the kid should have been in a special needs class

Students with special needs aren't isolated anymore, except in very severe cases. It's called inclusion. Teachers are trained and have resource teachers as backup to adapt their lessons to every child.

that sounds good until it becomes an distraction and takes away from the other students

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

As I said, this action by this teacher was wrong and inappropriate. But what I asked was "what action would have been appropriate" by this teacher in response to a continuing, on-going, problem of disruptive behavior in their classroom?

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

removing from class is a good way to go, she went wrong when she "had.... classmates say what they didn't like about 5-year-old Alex....teacher then had the students vote"

mohawkbaseball#1
All Conference

what exactly did the kid do? how often did he do it? did see try any alternative punishments?

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

inclusion is NOT a disruption.

The best way for them to learn is to put them with students that don't have disabilities. They are not a disruption and if they do disrupt the class, uh...what's 5 minutes? Plus, the diversity the students learn is great. That alone is a learning experience.

Yes, there are some insecure students who will make fun of the kid, but others will help the student.

I think this teacher should lose her license.

Lancer_Fan
Varsity

Post by Lancer_Fan »

Well said Whodey!!!! Aspergers and Autism are such a hard thing for EVERYONE! As the great aunt of a child with Autism I fully understand how frustrating it is for them. They are extrememly intelligent, usually with a MUCH higher IQ then the "normal" child! I can honestly say that if that had been my Great Nephew....this teacher would be fired, humiliated in public the same way as she did to this child, have child abuse (yes this is mental abuse) charges filed and taken to court..... IF she was lucky enough to avoid me.....

As for being able to single handedly maintain control...teachers do that everyday...With "normal" children. In kindergarden??? COME ON!! If she can't handle that at that level then she doesn't need to be a teacher in the first place. This makes me sick AND MAD IF YOU CAN"T TELL!!!
I want to go to FloriDUH and vote her off of the planet....
Last edited by Lancer_Fan on Wed May 28, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

2trap_4ever wrote:

I agree she should lose her job and the right to teach anywhere.

She, I believe did it to make her job easier.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

well going back to school this fall my son will have access to the resource room and teacher when needed to help when a meltdown happens.. I wholeheartedly agree that yes they can be very disruptive my son when having a really bad day speaks his mind no matter who is around and what pops in his head.. he isn't physically mean to anyone but verbally sometimes he can say things... he has a high IQ but due to having problems focusing in the classroom he has fallen behind in spelling and writing.. he will receive help with that...
We are working on his social skills with a councilor and doctor who in the process helps me learn how to deal with his verbal abuse which some days I have to be very thick skinned.. I am told how stupid I am if I do something he feels isn't correct in his eyes a normal day to day activity can be done wrong especially if it effects his schedule. I am told how he hates me.. I know he doesn't but its really hard when your baby tells you that he hates you..
The teacher dealt with it very wrongly privately I can tell you exactly why I pulled my son out of school but I won't do it here.. what happened was wrong also...
What did that teach those little 5 and 6 years old ?? I hope that teacher never teaches again if she handled this without the following things! If she had a problem did she call the mother? Did she tell the Principal ? Did this child have an IEP or 504 in place? Was the teacher working with the childs doctors? All this plays into the picture...

ballparent
S

Post by ballparent »

orange-n-brown 365 wrote:well going back to school this fall my son will have access to the resource room and teacher when needed to help when a meltdown happens.. I wholeheartedly agree that yes they can be very disruptive my son when having a really bad day speaks his mind no matter who is around and what pops in his head.. he isn't physically mean to anyone but verbally sometimes he can say things... he has a high IQ but due to having problems focusing in the classroom he has fallen behind in spelling and writing.. he will receive help with that...
We are working on his social skills with a councilor and doctor who in the process helps me learn how to deal with his verbal abuse which some days I have to be very thick skinned.. I am told how stupid I am if I do something he feels isn't correct in his eyes a normal day to day activity can be done wrong especially if it effects his schedule. I am told how he hates me.. I know he doesn't but its really hard when your baby tells you that he hates you..
The teacher dealt with it very wrongly privately I can tell you exactly why I pulled my son out of school but I won't do it here.. what happened was wrong also...
What did that teach those little 5 and 6 years old ?? I hope that teacher never teaches again if she handled this without the following things! If she had a problem did she call the mother? Did she tell the Principal ? Did this child have an IEP or 504 in place? Was the teacher working with the childs doctors? All this plays into the picture...

WhodeyAtown21 quote:

inclusion is NOT a disruption.

The best way for them to learn is to put them with students that don't have disabilities. They are not a disruption and if they do disrupt the class, uh...what's 5 minutes? Plus, the diversity the students learn is great. That alone is a learning experience.
Yes, there are some insecure students who will make fun of the kid, but others will help the student.
I think this teacher should lose her license.

Excellent posts, from one that's in the situation and one on his way to a great career. Disruptions are part of the game, for anyone that thinks that they don't happen from ALL students is mistaken. Many times the most frequent disruptions come from the high functioning "normal" kids who attempt to monopolize all the classroom time and know all the answers. Schools have plans in place to deal with disruptive students, and teachers that have experience or have been properly trained know to follow that plan. I guarantee that none of those plans include "voting' a student out and "belittling" him. Inclusion does work, if done properly by caring, educated, trained professionals. There are rewards that benefit children on both sides of the coin in the classroom, for one, children grow up to have tolerance, unlike this kindergarten teacher.

Return to “The Off season”