SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

General Chat
BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Re: SHOULD CHEERLEADING BE CONSIDERED A SPORT

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

oldcoachb wrote:
BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:Ok well my sister is a cheeleader and my mom is the advisor at South Gallia and I still do not consider it a sport but at the same time Im never going to bad mouth what they do like some of the people do on this topic. I dont see how you can base everyone that cheers on what you see at the events that you go to, there are lots of teams that you will never get a visual of seeing.

Oh and I can name a few that have their skirts down to there ankles. We have had all 3 of them on our schedule in basketball in the past at some time!

This is exactly what's wrong with cheerleading. My sister and my moms the advisor.

only of them is the advisor the other one cheers :lol:

warrior2012
Freshman Team

Post by warrior2012 »

warren is proud of it's cheerleaders!

MTX
Freshman Team

Post by MTX »

it is a sport, its not just the sidelines at football and basketball games thats only half of what cheerleading can be.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

:aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9 :aaaaa9
NOPE!! ITS STILL NOT A SPORT

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

I think at some schools it is a sport, but I have seen alot of schools that I would consider cheerleading as more of a waste of time. I appreciate schools that put time into cheerleading but at most schools it is just something to do.

warrior2012
Freshman Team

Post by warrior2012 »

VBFAN#1 wrote:Knowit2
Have you ever been to a basketball game with no cheerleaders, no band, no student section and have found the game exciting? Disrespecting cheerleading is disrespecting everyone who supports any athletic program. Lets call the waterboy or athletic trainer a name and say they have no relevance. Lets also kick off the guys who give a 100% everyday but never start a game and tell them that they cant yell and support their teammates.
Cheerleaders requires athleticism and dedication and deserves respect. If the OHSAA would recognize it as a sport and there was a legitimate conference championship then this argument would go away. Many girls do cheer and play other sports and succeed academically at a level higher than your top notch male athletes. How many of the top athletes in our area actually go to the next level in sports or in life v/s that of a cheerleader?

i do believe were just talking about cheerleaders.
you can have a student section without cheerleaders.
in all truth full nes our student section is louder
and more exciting then cheerleading.

just saying.

Shazbot
Freshman Team

Post by Shazbot »

Just picked this up from yahoo. I believe it adds to the conversation.

Cheerleading not a college varsity sport, judge rules
Buzz up! Reuters – A cheerleading group takes part in the annual Gay Pride Parade in New York, June 27, 2010. REUTERS/Keith …
Slideshow:Cheerleading 1 hr 17 mins ago
NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) – Competitive cheerleading is too "underdeveloped" to qualify as a full-fledged sport for women under federal gender equality rules, and the university which proposed it discriminated against women, a federal judge in Connecticut ruled.

In the 95-page ruling, U.S. District Judge Stefan Underhill said Quinnipiac University, located in Connecticut, had discriminated against women when it sought to eliminate the school's varsity volleyball team and create a competitive cheerleading squad in its stead.

Universities are mandated under a federal statute called Title IX modified in 1975 to provide equal opportunity for men and women in athletics programs.

"Quinnipiac discriminated on the basis of sex... by failing to provide equal athletic participation opportunities for women," Underhill said.

Plaintiffs' attorney Jonathan Orleans praised the ruling, saying in a statement "This is a victory not only for the student athletes and their coach, but for women's collegiate sports generally."

Connecticut ACLU executive director Andrew Schneider said the decision "gives force to the law that has opened doors for women over the last 30 years."

"The University's competitive cheerleading team does not qualify as a varsity sport for the purposes of Title IX and, therefore, its members may not be counted as athletic participants under the statute," the judge ruled.

While cheerleading may be recognized in the future, the judge said, "the activity is still too underdeveloped and disorganized to be treated as offering genuine varsity athletic participation opportunities for students."

Click image to see photos of cheerleading

AP
There are numerous cheerleading competitions around the country emphasizing dance and gymnastics moves.

Lynn Bushnell, a spokeswoman for Quinnipiac, said in a statement the school "is disappointed that the court has disallowed competitive cheer as a varsity sport." She said the university would continue to press for competitive cheerleading to become an officially-recognized varsity sport.

The school will add women's rugby to equalize opportunities for women, the spokeswoman said.

(Reporting by Basil Katz; Editing by Greg McCune)

Follow Yahoo! News on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i read that also shazbot! welp! i guess that closes this argument ;-)

Easterneagle
Waterboy

Post by Easterneagle »

No i think that cheerleading should not be a sport! they drive me crazy when i go to games! :)

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Not a sport but a nice recreational activity that is needed for the sports teams.

warrior 89
Freshman Team

Post by warrior 89 »

Neutron Man wrote:ESPN cheerleading YES
local cheerleaders NO (except Greenup)

Local cheerleaders just don't do what you see on TV
its more clapping and timing. like a routine, a dance.
From what I see, if half the ball teams around had a little more timing, and a little
more of a routine the clapping would come from the stands and they would be a whole lot better!
Last edited by warrior 89 on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Babe
Waterboy

Post by The Babe »

No.

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

......................................absolotely not

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Only if they can hit a 3 pointer at halftime.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

Neutron Man wrote:ESPN cheerleading YES
local cheerleaders NO (except Greenup)

Local cheerleaders just don't do what you see on TV
its more clapping and timing. like a routine, a dance.
The spelling be is on ESPN

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

whos baby is that?

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

cheerleading is not a sport

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

Cheerleading is a sport!!!! My daughter has done both competitive cheerleading and high school cheerleading for over 12 years now. They are athletes and are in better condition than most of the guys on the field or court!! Also, my daughter can definitely hit a 3 pointer on the court also!!!

bryanc45
JV Team

Post by bryanc45 »

I am not just saying this because I have friends who are cheerleaders. but they work just as hard as the team does.

duck butter
Freshman Team

Post by duck butter »

its not a matter of working hard the band works hard but thats no sport there a support group for sports just like band

Return to “The Off season”