Snow Monkey Devoured....Lions, Bears, and Tigers Declawed..

General Chat
grndma1
SEOPS HO

Re: I wouldn't be jogging!

Post by grndma1 »

On the news last night, when they were cancelling schools, they said, Lions, Tigers, Grisley Bears, Black Bears, Wolves, and Cheetas. Two people in the area had already sent in pictures of a lion and a black bear that they had seen. Think I would be staying indoors and not taking pictures.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Well,it is reported that Ohio has the weakest exotic animal laws in the nation. There has been trouble with this guy before so how is he allowed to have that many exotics? He was just released form jail according to one report and now the speculation is he committed suicide. Maybe mentally unbalanced criminals shouldn't have these animals. Hello Columbus!

Runner
SEO

Re: I wouldn't be jogging! Big Cats on the prowl!!

Post by Runner »

43 or 44 of the possible 51 animals have been killed. This is all going on 4-5 miles from my house.

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

My brother in-law was brought in to hunt some of the bears. I won't believe the number killed until I see some pictures of them.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Just said they think they have three to find yet

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

This reminds me of the time the guy in Piketon had a lion get loose. I was on playground duty about 4 miles from that house with 5th graders. Another teacher came out and told me and the other duty teacher a lion was loose. The teacher looked at me and said what should we do if we see the lion? I said, run, I just have to be faster than 1 other person! lol She looked at me like I was from Mars! hahahahahahahaha

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Well according to certain Zanesville posters, they're just "tiggers" and nothing to be scared of. Couldn't have happened in a more deserving community. Happy lions and tigers and bears - oh my - to you!
Last edited by caglewis on Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

Runner wrote:43 or 44 of the possible 51 animals have been killed. This is all going on 4-5 miles from my house.

"Honey, why don't you wear the gazelle outfit this Halloween?"

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

moose wrote:
Runner wrote:43 or 44 of the possible 51 animals have been killed. This is all going on 4-5 miles from my house.

"Honey, why don't you wear the gazelle outfit this Halloween?"
:aaaaa8 :aaaaa41

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

And then there were two....left. As of 1:15 pm, all that remains to be found is a wolf and some type of snow monkey.

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

caglewis wrote:Well according to certain Zanesville posters, they're just "tiggers" and nothing to be scared of. Couldn't have happened in a more deserving community. Happy lions and tigers and bears - oh my - to you!

you prob hopeing they get loose on a play ground too?

we will pray for you.

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

Check out most of the briefings! I know Jack Hanna is passionate about this cause but he can't seem to stay out of the camera very long. Guess all that's missing is Letterman! :lol:

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

All Exotic Animals Believed To Be Accounted For

ZANESVILLE, Ohio - Authorities in Muskingum County said that they believe that all the animals are accounted for.

Sheriff Matt Lutz said that they are no longer actively searching for the monkey and believe that the animal has been killed.

There were 56 animals on an exotic animal farm when the owner opened up cages and killed himself Tuesday night.

In a news conference Wednesday afternoon, Sheriff Matt Lutz said that 48 of those animals have been killed. He also said they could also not account for a monkey and a wolf.

Soon after his statements, authorities determined the wolf was shot last night and the body was just recovered Wednesday afternoon.

The monkey is believed to have been killed by another animal.

The animals that have been killed include two wolves, six black bears, two grizzly bears, 17 lions, one baboon, three mountain lions, and 18 tigers.

Lutz said that six animals that were on the farm have been moved to the Columbus Zoo. Those include a grizzly bear, two leopards, and three monkeys.

The sheriff said preliminary autopsy information indicates that animal owner Terry Thompson killed himself after letting the animals out of their cages and pens.

Lutz said that he gave the order Tuesday night to shoot and kill the animals in order to protect the public.

"If the animals looked like they were going (out of the property), I told (deputies), 'Put them down,'" Lutz said.

Lutz said that sheriff's deputies had to shoot some of the animals at close range as they were trying to get off the property.

Columbus Zoo director emeritus Jack Hanna backed Lutz decision and said that public safety had to come first.

"The sheriff did the right thing," Hanna said.

The 73 acre farm had lions, tigers, cheetahs, wolves, and bears.

During Tuesday evening, there were multiple sightings of exotic animals along nearby Interstate 70, and flashing highway signs were used warned motorists to stay in their vehicles. Residents were told to stay inside and several schools were cancelled.

Lutz said that deputies had to react quickly to the situation to save public lives. Lutz also said that they did not have tranquilizer guns Tuesday night.

Lutz said that on Wednesday when they tried to tranquilize one tiger that he reacted violently and had to then be put down.

Thompson had orangutans and chimpanzees in his home, but they were still in their cages. Thompson's wife has been cooperating with authorities in locating and accounting for the animals.

At her request and after checking with other agencies, Lutz said the animals were buried on the property from where they escaped.

According to Lutz, his department had received numerous complaints since 2004 about animals at Thompson's property.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Snow Monkey Devoured....Lions, Bears, and Tigers Declawe

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

FIDO wrote:I imagine the Lutz in this story has a state record too. The most BIG game killed in his county....
Only u would think of that ....... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Won't be long till they say Sherifff Lutz's deputies cheated, he recruited and that he's going to retire after this year

tomcat
Riding the Bench

Post by tomcat »

or he might take his team, of deputys to another district, to get away from the ones they could not tame :mrgreen:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

dazed&confused wrote:Well,it is reported that Ohio has the weakest exotic animal laws in the nation. There has been trouble with this guy before so how is he allowed to have that many exotics? He was just released form jail according to one report and now the speculation is he committed suicide. Maybe mentally unbalanced criminals shouldn't have these animals. Hello Columbus!
But we don't want ANY government regulation or restrictions - right? Isn't that the current mantra?
It is such a shame that those valuable rare beautiful animals had to be destroyed; but the first responders Sheriffs Dept had no choice - you can't gently entice a full grown lion, tiger, or bear into a cage - they're dangerous by definition; and they should be adequately contained and adequately fed and cared for if you really want to keep a wild animal in captivity. If they're LOOSE, all bets are off because they are absolutely dangerous to public welfare and shoot-to-kill has to be the rule!
We have great award-winning Zoos here in Ohio in Columbus and Cincinnati both of which are cutting edge in research, preservation, and breeding; and they're very knowedgeable and well equipped to care for wild animals not indigenous to our geography. That's where those captive animals belonged.
No single individual has any right to keep dangerous wild animals without proper precautions and protections and proof of ability to contain and support them. Those animals didn't just "wander in"; they were sought out and imported by someone illequipped to manage and support them.
And now they have all been killed as a result of his negligence and irresponsibility. What a pity.
Would it be such a BAD thing to have had some government laws/rules in place which would have prevented or regulated his procurring/owning those animals in the first place? Or require his establishment to be inspected/supervised to ensure the safety of all - both animals and people?

Return to “The Off season”