orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Swine Flu in Ohio

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

Runner
SEO

Re: Swine Flu in Ohio

Post by Runner »

I saw on the news last night that there was second case reported in Ohio in Wood county.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Just by what I've read, this almost sounds like The French Flu in that it's going after those in the prime of their lives. The death toll in Mexico is now 150 and those who have died are between the ages of 20 to 50.

I remember years ago reading about that outbreak. They said that a person would wake up feeling fine...go to work, by mid-morning they'd start feeling bad. They'd go home sick at lunch and would be dead by the same day by dinner time! That was one wicked flu there! And..it hit people mostly all in the prime of their lives.

Oh, and between September and December alone, it killed over 450,000 Americans and that was in 1918, long before people were jetting around the country going to and fro. It's estimated that 70 million died world wide of this outbreak! that's a bunch of people!

whodeyAtown21
SEOPS

Post by whodeyAtown21 »

"Today, I was pulled over by a police officer for speeding. After writing the ticket, he asked me why I was wearing a surgical mask. I told him that swine flu was found in our area and I was scared. He thought that I was insulting him and wrote me another ticket. FML"

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

Last edited by blue53 on Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

IronTigerMum
Varsity

Post by IronTigerMum »

That's gettin' a lil' too close to the Bagboy for me.

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Some scary stuff. My Great Grandfather died of the Spanish Flu in 1919. It was so cold, when he died, that they put him on a board, and took him out the window. Then they dug a shallow grave, to bury him. They reburied him the following spring. So many people died from this flu, and this Swine Flu is just as scary.

seofan_via_dublin
SEOP

Post by seofan_via_dublin »

The swine flu is made up of three different strains of flu.
1) Influenza A
2) Avian Flu (bird flu)
3) A yet unidentifiable strain different from the first two.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Between the swine flu and all of the whooping cough cases (60+ cases in Muskingum County alone) I know it is keeping the doctors busy in this area. Many have been involved in conference calls trying to decide what is going to be needed.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

The news is reporting 1 probable case now in Columbus.

They have also reported a Marine in California has been confirmed and has been quarantined along with his roommate.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Never mind what the CDC or MD's say about minimizing the risks of exposure or taking preventive precautions - if you keep your child home from school too often you're going to get "reported" as an unfit parent and your child is going to be punished for "truancy" under the NCLB rules and standards. And employers are going to frown on, and penalize, employees missing work for any reason.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

In my opinion, this is all getting blown out of proportion. It is nowhere near a pandemic. Why haven't we heard of the near 15,000 that have died from simple influenza this year? Can you say, Jumping the Gun?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I think on something like this its better to jump the gun and hope its all for naught than to sit and wait and see what happens.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

There is a very interesting book Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond which describes how these kinds of animal-to-human viral diseases develop. These "germs" were a principal contribution of European explorers to the Western Hemisphere - hence the book's title.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

tigercannon71 wrote:I think on something like this its better to jump the gun and hope its all for naught than to sit and wait and see what happens.

Creating panic is not an effective means of dealing with something like this. Remember the West Nile virus?

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

winchell wrote:
tigercannon71 wrote:I think on something like this its better to jump the gun and hope its all for naught than to sit and wait and see what happens.

Creating panic is not an effective means of dealing with something like this. Remember the West Nile virus?

Kind of, but if it had turned out to be something big we would have been prepared.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

winchell, I stand to be corrected but what I 'think' is the eye opener here is who this virus has killed. Not older people or those with compromised health but healthy people in their prime. Heck, I get a cold and I have to take breathing treatments every four hours. I haven't had the flu in probably 20 years or so (most people just think they've had the flu, they really just have bad colds) and dread it when I do.

I think maybe Cagle would remember that flu virus that went around in the early 60's? it was one awful flu!

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/guidance_homecare.htm

April 25, 2009 18:30 ET
This document provides interim guidance and will be updated as needed.

Swine influenza A virus infection (swine flu) can cause a wide range of symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu. People with swine flu also can have vomiting and diarrhea. Like seasonal flu, swine flu in humans can vary in severity from mild to severe.Severe disease with pneumonia, respiratory failure and even death is possible with swine flu infection. Certain groups might be more likely to develop a severe illness from swine flu infection, such as persons with chronic medical conditions. Sometimes bacterial infections may occur at the same time as or after infection with influenza viruses and lead to pneumonias, ear infections, or sinus infections.

blue53
All State

Post by blue53 »

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Hmmmm I think I have pneumonia right now. I'll find out in a couple hours when I get my chest xray

Return to “The Off season”