Changing your car's oil every 3,000 miles.

General Chat
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Changing your car's oil every 3,000 miles.

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Check your owner's manual. Three months or 3,000 miles is the oft-spouted guideline, but in reality, manufacturers typically suggest an oil change every 5,000 to 7,500 miles. Cutting two unnecessary oil changes per year could save you between $50 and $80. And you won't waste time sitting at the car shop.

Bassmaster
S

Re: Changing your car's oil every 3,000 miles.

Post by Bassmaster »

I change my own every 3K miles except for my truck and I use Mobil 1 synthetic in it. Most of the standard grade oil and filters are not good for much more than 3K miles due to loss of viscosity and cheaply built filters. My standard oil change costs me $12.00.

orange-n-brown 365
SEOPS HO

Post by orange-n-brown 365 »

my car has a message that pops up every time it gets to 3000 miles and you cannot clear it unless you change the oil...we buy our own filters and wholesale oil and do it all ourselves no wal-mart specials for us :122245

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

every since i was 16 , i have used pennzoil, and always changed my oil every 3,000 miles.never really had engine troubles.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Studies have shown there is no difference between 3,000 and like 5,000 on New York taxi cabs..

A little humor here and a true story. A good friend of mine, when we were young, was TERRIBLE about NOT changing his oil. He'd go like 20,000 or so and honestly? his cars ran and ran but..that's not the funny part here. He was a salesman who drove a Ford Fairmont station wagon and he put tons of miles on it. He hadn't changed the oil for like 25 thousand once and then decided on a slow Saturday he'd give it an oil change whether it needed it or not. Soooooooo he crawls under the car....tries to loosen the bolt on the oil pan. It won't budge..he tries and tries till he rounds the head off of it. Instead of getting a pipe wrench or something, he elects to just DRILL A HOLE IN THE PAN and then use a self-tapping screw to do it with.

Well...ROFL...when he gets it all back together..of course, as it heats up...the oil starts pouring onto the ground! He calls a place up and they tell him, sure...bring it down and they'll patch that hole he put in it. He looses the bolts and then let's it drop but...it won't come out! He gets on the phone and calls a mechanic and finds out that in order to drop the oil pan on that car..he has to pull the engine and then drop the transmission! Talk about one expensive oil change!

I have poked fun at him for years and years over this story..I don't think he'll care if I do it one more time. He was young and very dumb then.. ;-)

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

kantuckyII wrote:Studies have shown there is no difference between 3,000 and like 5,000 on New York taxi cabs..

A little humor here and a true story. A good friend of mine, when we were young, was TERRIBLE about NOT changing his oil. He'd go like 20,000 or so and honestly? his cars ran and ran but..that's not the funny part here. He was a salesman who drove a Ford Fairmont station wagon and he put tons of miles on it. He hadn't changed the oil for like 25 thousand once and then decided on a slow Saturday he'd give it an oil change whether it needed it or not. Soooooooo he crawls under the car....tries to loosen the bolt on the oil pan. It won't budge..he tries and tries till he rounds the head off of it. Instead of getting a pipe wrench or something, he elects to just DRILL A HOLE IN THE PAN and then use a self-tapping screw to do it with.

Well...ROFL...when he gets it all back together..of course, as it heats up...the oil starts pouring onto the ground! He calls a place up and they tell him, sure...bring it down and they'll patch that hole he put in it. He looses the bolts and then let's it drop but...it won't come out! He gets on the phone and calls a mechanic and finds out that in order to drop the oil pan on that car..he has to pull the engine and then drop the transmission! Talk about one expensive oil change!

I have poked fun at him for years and years over this story..I don't think he'll care if I do it one more time. He was young and very dumb then.. ;-)

I'm almost sure he thinks it is funny now but not when this happened.

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

Synthetic oil for our vehicles, so we go 7,500 .And when you change it. It looks great compared to regular motor oil.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

As much as cars cost these days, engines should get 500,000 with good care.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

My van calls for an oil change every six thousand miles, but I usually do it sooner. Especially if I am going on a long trip.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

FIDO wrote:Mine gets changed every 5K miles. I've done it for years and I haven't had any problems. How many folks actually keep their vehicles long enough to get 100K miles on them? I had a Dodge Intrepid make it to 130K miles before it decided to go tango uniform. I was told the smaller 6 cylinder Dodge engine had a history of engine problems around the 100K mile point.

You had the 2.7! They make a conversoin kit for it and you can get 200,000+ out of it.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

yeah, the dreaded 2.7l v6 from chrysler. extended warranty companies wont even cover that engine. :( :( :( :( :(

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

FIDO wrote:Mine gets changed every 5K miles. I've done it for years and I haven't had any problems. How many folks actually keep their vehicles long enough to get 100K miles on them? I had a Dodge Intrepid make it to 130K miles before it decided to go tango uniform. I was told the smaller 6 cylinder Dodge engine had a history of engine problems around the 100K mile point.
------------------------------------------------------- the answer is all 5 of ours. have anywhere from 120,000 to 180,000.

91 ford f150
96 lumina
97 lumina
98 lumina
04 cavalier------------------ poor man's ways. oil changes are a way of life here. :122247

Return to “The Off season”