30 dollar seat belt ticket cost 100 bucks &^&^%&^%$^%$#^%$

General Chat
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

well,I got a ticket for not wearing my seat belt, the fine was 30 bucks......not bad right?

well, court cost "even if you dont go' 40 bucks,then another fee of 30 bucks for misc.------???

guess they figure they may as well round that 30 dollar fine off to 100 bucks.....

cant wait for the law enforcement agencys to call here for a donation again :mad: :mad: :mad:

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Re: 30 dollar seat belt ticket cost 100 bucks &^&^%&^%$^%$#^%$

Post by mstangmom »

Just don't forget to pay it or it will cost a whole lot more.

I got a seat belt ticket last year, threw it in the console and forgot about it. 4 months later I get this letter in the mail telling me my liscense has been suspended because i didn't pay the ticket. needless to say that $100.00 ticket cost me $250.00.

Only AFTER I paid the $250.00 fine was I told if I had went to court and fought it I could have got off with Paying $000.00. even though they orginally pulled me over for speeding, they only wrote the seat belt ticket. tuens out seat belt is a secondary offense and if there is nothing else on the ticket they cannot charge you with the seat belt.

look into it, it was a sherriff that told me this. saying that more and more people are going to court over it and it gets thrown out.

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

Yep, take them to court....make them spend time and money on it. If everyone did this they would decide it wasn't worth the time and expense to enforce a stupid law.

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

[quote="mstangmom"].

4 months later I get this letter in the mail telling me my liscense has been suspended because i didn't pay the ticket.

My son had an accident in Pickaway county in january ,and the cop said it was his fault, and he would be fined. As of last week no ticket, or court date had ever been sent ,or gave to him. Then Saturday he gets a letter telling him his license has been suspended for failure to appear on his traffic charge. Wow what a way to make some extra money, just dont send a ticket,then charge em for failure to appear.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Boone don't get me wrong, normally my seat belt is on and in 2 more miles it would have been because anytime I forget to put it on buy the time I get into williamsport at the light out of habit I always check my seat belt.

As it being a law? I go both ways on it.
I have seen people live because they had it on and I have seen people die because they had it.
I have heard cops, EMTs, Parmedics, firefighters and so on say
"If he/she had been wearing thier seat belt they might have lived"
and
"If he/she had not neen wearing their seat belt they would have been thrown from the car and might have had a chance."

I say if your under 18 its law you must wear it, of you are over 18 it's your choice. Just like the helmet law in ohio.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

reliob I totally understand what you are saying, pickaway county has to be one of the WORST when it comes to letting people know things.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

As a Paramedic I have seen a lot of people injured or killed because they weren't wearing there seat belt. Thats a stupid way to die!!

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

mstangmom wrote:Boone don't get me wrong, normally my seat belt is on and in 2 more miles it would have been because anytime I forget to put it on buy the time I get into williamsport at the light out of habit I always check my seat belt.

I have seen people live because they had it on and I have seen people die because they had it.
and
"If he/she had not neen wearing their seat belt they would have been thrown from the car and might have had a chance."

I say if your under 18 its law you must wear it, of you are over 18 it's your choice. Just like the helmet law in ohio.

Not in WA, here it's a 160 dollar fine for anyone they see not wearing a belt. They can also pull you over just for that. Glad the judge in my town is a proponent of personal responsibility and feels this law is un constitutional.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

In New York State there is an $85 surcharge on all tickets. So some tickets will be less than the surcharge.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Orange and Brown wrote:As a Paramedic I have seen a lot of people injured or killed because they weren't wearing there seat belt. Thats a stupid way to die!!

See OnB I can agree with that statement, HOWEVER I could also introduce you to 2 brothers who had left school going home, a bus was following them. they were not speeding or doing anything "stupid" but the young man had over corrected. neithedr were wearing their seatbelts and BOTH were trown from the vehicle. THANK GOD, because if they would have had on their seat belts both either be vegitables or dead. because the vehicle was smashed from where it flipped. BTW the driver walked away from the accident his little bro, spent some time in the hospital had to relearn the basics of life but life is back to football.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

As an RN, I did, sometimes, take care of patients who were wearing seatbelts - the ones who weren't mostly didn't make it out of the ER.
I seriously don't understand why it is "unreasonable" to expect people to fasten their seatbelts. Isn't that like "not driving drunk?"
And another thing - if you are hurt as a result of an accident while NOT wearing a seatbelt - who will pay the hospital/medical bills?
Your auto insurance [if you actually have it] will deny your claim because you didn't comply with the law. Your medical insurance [if you actually have it] will claim it's your auto insurance's responsibility - and both will deny your claim. Neither will pay -
YOU WILL!!! For heaven's sake, for all reasons - BUCKLE YOUR SEAT BELT!
Last edited by caglewis on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Boonedawg wrote:
mstangmom wrote:Boone don't get me wrong, normally my seat belt is on and in 2 more miles it would have been because anytime I forget to put it on buy the time I get into williamsport at the light out of habit I always check my seat belt.

and

Not in WA, here it's a 160 dollar fine for anyone they see not wearing a belt. They can also pull you over just for that. Glad the judge in my town is a proponent of personal responsibility and feels this law is un constitutional.

Thats outragous. honestly though how can they honestly see you are not wearing your seatbelt?

If your driving 55-60 and the cop is driving 55-60 as you pass how can they honestly see if you are or are not wearing your seat belt?
In towns where you might be goin 35 - 40 yeah a person may have time to see it. I decided if I ever got pulled over again and accused of not wearing it I am asking for PROOF that I wasn't.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Most cops would have pulled you out of that truck and pistol whipped you Biggdowgg.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

when I posted this,I had already paid the ticket...I forgot to pay one back when I was younger,and ended up in Ironton jail for about an hour, courtesy of hanging rock police :roll:

you can ask anyone,I usuly always wear my seat belt.....I was leaving my road "a dead end road", and was just going around the block "I know,,it dont matter"...well,I was pulled over because he said I did not make a complete stop at the stop sign..

california roll"is what he called it.... :roll: :roll:

Rhiannon
All Conference

Post by Rhiannon »

Hate that for you biggdowgg. Makes me sick that I am FORCED to wear a seatbelt but yet guys/gals can get on a motorcycle and ARE NOT FORCED to wear a helmet. Makes no sense at all. Does the auto insurance and medical insurance pay for those accidents?

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Rhiannon wrote:Hate that for you biggdowgg. Makes me sick that I am FORCED to wear a seatbelt but yet guys/gals can get on a motorcycle and ARE NOT FORCED to wear a helmet. Makes no sense at all. Does the auto insurance and medical insurance pay for those accidents?

I agree,and hear many people say the same thing about the motorcycles......

I really dont have a problem wearing seat belt,,it was probably what save Ozzie and ,myself a couple years back when we had a pretty serious accident, but still I think it should be "my choice"

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Dog wrote

I was just wondering what that means??? :122245 :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

butcherman108
SEO

Post by butcherman108 »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:Dog wrote

I was just wondering what that means??? :122245 :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

He's typeing in FRENCH. :122245 :lol:

mstangmom
SEOPS HOF

Post by mstangmom »

Chances are if i am just going down the road into williamsport or the lake I won't have my seat belt on. any further than that, like I said by the time I get to the light in williamsport I am checking to see if I got it on.
If I am driving on the interstate, yes I got it on.
But it should be MY choice to have it on or not Not the governments choice.

Do I think seat belts are a good idea, yes in some cases I think so, But I also think brushing your teeth is a good idea but it doesn't mean I think the Government should come in and check to see if I am doing it.

WhiteWhiskers
JV Team

Post by WhiteWhiskers »

biggdowgg wrote:well,I got a ticket for not wearing my seat belt, the fine was 30 bucks......not bad right?

well, court cost "even if you dont go' 40 bucks,then another fee of 30 bucks for misc.------???

guess they figure they may as well round that 30 dollar fine off to 100 bucks.....

cant wait for the law enforcement agencys to call here for a donation again :mad: :mad: :mad:

biggdowgg, did you ever think that the officer was doing you a favor. Will he was. If you would have been charged with the stop sign vilolation it would have cost you 2 points on your license (moving viloation)

Mstangmon, you better "look into it" with someone else cause the HPD said they write seat belt tickets with out any other offense on the ticket all the time esp if the offender has a good driving record just to keep from have the two point go on their license. The secondary offense only applies to being stopped

Return to “The Off season”