ATV riders beware

General Chat
coachb
Freshman Team

ATV riders beware

Post by coachb »

I just spoke with a friend whos sticker ran out Dec 31 09. He went today to renew for the next 3 years and they busted him with the $20 late fee. this was in Ironton DMV. I called Proctorville DMV office and asked a lady I know there if this was applicable to ATV stickers and she looked it up in their "books". ATV's are not considered "seasonal vehicles, so the penalty DOES apply. If yours ran out Dec 31 09 you will pay the $20 penalty plus the $33 sticker renewal fee. The "man" is doing everything possible to keep us from riding. If this continues I'm gonna stop riding WNF. I was also told by another lady in a horse club that probably next season (2011) we will have to show proof of insurance on our ATV before we get a WNF tag. She was told this by a WNF officer at a meeting with their horse club. We need to start raising our voices to our public officials.

osumufan
SE

Re: ATV riders beware

Post by osumufan »

You have to have a tag to ride an ATV? Is this only on public land?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

coachb wrote:I just spoke with a friend whos sticker ran out Dec 31 09. He went today to renew for the next 3 years and they busted him with the $20 late fee. this was in Ironton DMV. I called Proctorville DMV office and asked a lady I know there if this was applicable to ATV stickers and she looked it up in their "books". ATV's are not considered "seasonal vehicles, so the penalty DOES apply. If yours ran out Dec 31 09 you will pay the $20 penalty plus the $33 sticker renewal fee. The "man" is doing everything possible to keep us from riding. If this continues I'm gonna stop riding WNF. I was also told by another lady in a horse club that probably next season (2011) we will have to show proof of insurance on our ATV before we get a WNF tag. She was told this by a WNF officer at a meeting with their horse club. We need to start raising our voices to our public officials.

The "man" Is just trying to make money where they can. It's not right but it is not meant to keep people from riding. It is all about revenue.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

osumufan wrote:You have to have a tag to ride an ATV? Is this only on public land?

Yea that is correct. You only need a sticker to run on public land.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

the 20.00 dollar late fee , is also included on all tags for your cars trucks..etc.

anythng after 7 days I think?

coachb
Freshman Team

Post by coachb »

with your car you get a paper saying your tags run out on your birthday.The ATVs run out Dec 31 and no reminders. The trails dont open (WNF) until mid April, why not give people a chance to get them befoer the trails open without a penalty? They raised the sticker from $8 for 3 yrs to $33 for 3 years and WNF has raised their yearly permit to $45 a year. Promising to expand the trails with the revenue. i was told by the lady over WNF that most of the monies are spent on saleries. Like every thing else...pay to play. I just think it's sad.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

coachb wrote:with your car you get a paper saying your tags run out on your birthday.The ATVs run out Dec 31 and no reminders. The trails dont open (WNF) until mid April, why not give people a chance to get them befoer the trails open without a penalty? They raised the sticker from $8 for 3 yrs to $33 for 3 years and WNF has raised their yearly permit to $45 a year. Promising to expand the trails with the revenue. i was told by the lady over WNF that most of the monies are spent on saleries. Like every thing else...pay to play. I just think it's sad.

I agree that it is getting harder and harder to ride good trails any more.

BigDintigertown775
Freshman Team

Post by BigDintigertown775 »

I sold my ATV a few years ago. I used to ride the Hanging Rock strip mines all the time. I got tired of being bird dogged by those guys. Its a shame that you cant go out in the middle of the woods and have a good time. I will probably never get another ATV again.

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

coachb wrote:with your car you get a paper saying your tags run out on your birthday.

Yeah. but the paper saying your tags run out includes the paperwork to order on line, which they prefer, and does save time. And which I did so I would not have to put up with the male droid in New Boston. And I renewed my DL in Ironton, for the same reason. That guy does not want to be there and shows it in his demeanor.

And the paper telling you that your DL expired, is well after the fact.

It is a non tax increase, that is a tax increase.

If they are in office, vote them out. I am all for one term, term limits.

The Instructor
SEOPS Hippo

Post by The Instructor »

BigDintigertown775 wrote:I sold my ATV a few years ago. I used to ride the Hanging Rock strip mines all the time. I got tired of being bird dogged by those guys. Its a shame that you cant go out in the middle of the woods and have a good time. I will probably never get another ATV again.

Yeah, sure....just like you said you would never have another motorcycle because they are "nothing but a deathtrap." :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Philos_Finest
All Conference

Post by Philos_Finest »

This is why I don't go to Wayne. I go to the APV area in New Lex and have been for over 5 years & I have never bought a tag for it. The rangers their don't mind as long as you are respectful to them & tread lightly.

swbaseballfan
All State

Post by swbaseballfan »

WNF is adding a ton of trails as we speak. i wish they wouldent though, they are running them to my favorite fishing spots. now everyone who is too lazy to walk an hour to fish will go take fish from them and trash the place up.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

:oops: Just another case in which the State of Ohio can rip off the people, and do it legally. We as a country are losing more of our rights and being taxed out of the ying yang. Why is the public not informed about these new taxes before they implemated? Or they have the so called hearing in the middle of the week in the middle of the day. The working man can't afford to take off to attend. I don't understand this new increase in taxes on ATV for use on Public lands. The key word is public. You pay taxes and I pay taxes on the money they used to buy this public land. And then we are hit with more like this ATV and have to purchase a permit to boot. Something just is wrong with this picture for sure. :oops: :oops:

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Post by vids4ckcrash »

1974Viking wrote::oops: Just another case in which the State of Ohio can rip off the people, and do it legally. :oops: :oops:

Not the STATE OF OHIO but the People you have elected to pick your pocket!

OK, Now let's put a name to the ones that promoted the initiating of these fees. Although the below is from a partisan site, it is factually correct.

Ask your representative if THEY promoted these fees. Call their office. Raise HE!! and don't take it any more, or it will increase.

http://tinyurl.com/ykxwnah

Below is a cut and paste from the above url.

<This late penalty was one of several fee increases the Strickland Administration proposed during deliberations on the transportation budget in early 2009. While Senate Republicans were successful in removing many of these fees from the bill, House Democrats insisted that the $20 late penalty on license and registration renewals was necessary to provide additional funding for the Highway Patrol. >

coachb
Freshman Team

Post by coachb »

Just spoke with the WNF office a few minutes ago and looks like no new trails to open again this year. If any it will be late fall at pine creek. The lady told me the "connector" isnt going to connect the Hanging Rock trails to Pine Creek. It's going to connect Pine Creek to Cosmos. I thought Cosmos was going to be an addition to Pine Creek, not a conector. I guess many of us have misunderstood about a connector from HR to PC over the last few years. I wonder what's happening with the STIMULUS money WNF recieved? Lets keep the tax dollars flowing, maybe eventually we will get some new trails. Happy Trails my friends. Hope to see you at "The Point"

KVDW
SE

Post by KVDW »

coachb wrote: Like every thing else...pay to play. I just think it's sad.

with all due respect, although i think the new "taxes" on atv use is pretty excessive, i don't necessarily think it is "unfair".
why should non-atv users (taxpayers) have to pay to build and maintain our trails? we use them and in some abusive cases destroy them to where they require constant maintenance ($$$), (with some idiots going off trail and riding where ever they want, etc.). it's true that taxpayer money was used to initially buy the forest lands but i doubt the original intent for it was to be destroyed by atv's. i really have no objection to paying for building and maintaining our atv trails, after all we are the ones that use them and as somebody said above "trash them up".
i am also a hunter and i have to buy a license to hunt.... even on PRIVATE land.... but a non-hunter doesn't have to buy a license if he chooses not to hunt. the only expenditures i, as a hunter, might need is maybe a small parking place where i can park to hunt as compared to the high maintenance of atv trails so i see no problem with the "pay to play" thing. i don't think it is "unfair" for us to pay for our personal enjoyment. i paid $6000 for my atv so i don't think another $40-$50 a year to use the trails is gonna bust me. BUT, i DO think the whole system of petty taxes and fees is unfair to start with. too much of out tax dollars are spent on politicians "pet" projects and not for what they were intended to be spent on.

bottom line though is that i agree with someone above that said these politicians are just killing us with new "taxes" and "fees" every time we turn around and imo we need to get rid of all of them and get some new, fresh, blood in the people we elect and HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FROM THE 1st DAY WE ELECT THEM !! we have just been apathetic for too long while they kept adding taxes and fees to everything we do. pretty soon they'll be taxing us to take a whiz. it has gotten out of hand. it's time to get involved in our government and put a stop to all this nonsense. VOTE THE BLOODSUCKERS OUT REGARDLESS OF WHICH SIDE THEY ARE ON and demand term limits on the new ones.

btw i think we need to quit being hesitant about reminding our fellow riders and hunters to quit abusing our forests and tearing things up and leaving trash everywhere. i never could understand why people can take cans and bottles and mickey-d containers etc. into the places to hunt and ride and fish... but never seem to have room to bring the resulting trash back out with them.
"you took it in there with you.... now bring it back out" !!!

jmho :mrgreen:

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

KVDW wrote:
coachb wrote: Like every thing else...pay to play. I just think it's sad.

with all due respect, although i think the new "taxes" on atv use is pretty excessive, i don't necessarily think it is "unfair".
why should non-atv users (taxpayers) have to pay to build and maintain our trails? we use them and in some abusive cases destroy them to where they require constant maintenance ($$$), (with some idiots going off trail and riding where ever they want, etc.). it's true that taxpayer money was used to initially buy the forest lands but i doubt the original intent for it was to be destroyed by atv's. i really have no objection to paying for building and maintaining our atv trails, after all we are the ones that use them and as somebody said above "trash them up".
i am also a hunter and i have to buy a license to hunt.... even on PRIVATE land.... but a non-hunter doesn't have to buy a license if he chooses not to hunt. the only expenditures i, as a hunter, might need is maybe a small parking place where i can park to hunt as compared to the high maintenance of atv trails so i see no problem with the "pay to play" thing. i don't think it is "unfair" for us to pay for our personal enjoyment. i paid $6000 for my atv so i don't think another $40-$50 a year to use the trails is gonna bust me. BUT, i DO think the whole system of petty taxes and fees is unfair to start with. too much of out tax dollars are spent on politicians "pet" projects and not for what they were intended to be spent on.

bottom line though is that i agree with someone above that said these politicians are just killing us with new "taxes" and "fees" every time we turn around and imo we need to get rid of all of them and get some new, fresh, blood in the people we elect and HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE FROM THE 1st DAY WE ELECT THEM !! we have just been apathetic for too long while they kept adding taxes and fees to everything we do. pretty soon they'll be taxing us to take a whiz. it has gotten out of hand. it's time to get involved in our government and put a stop to all this nonsense. VOTE THE BLOODSUCKERS OUT REGARDLESS OF WHICH SIDE THEY ARE ON and demand term limits on the new ones.

btw i think we need to quit being hesitant about reminding our fellow riders and hunters to quit abusing our forests and tearing things up and leaving trash everywhere. i never could understand why people can take cans and bottles and mickey-d containers etc. into the places to hunt and ride and fish... but never seem to have room to bring the resulting trash back out with them.
"you took it in there with you.... now bring it back out" !!!

jmho :mrgreen:

:aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 coachb is a very good friend of mine and has raised some legitimate concerns but this is a very good post and says a lot of things I agree with.

Return to “The Off season”