Boys kicked off campus for wearing American Flag Tshirts

General Chat
farmer
SEOP

Boys kicked off campus for wearing American Flag Tshirts

Post by farmer »

On any other day at Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Daniel Galli and his four friends would not even be noticed for wearing T-shirts with the American flag. But Cinco de Mayo is not any typical day especially on a campus with a large Mexican American student population.

Galli says he and his friends were sitting at a table during brunch break when the vice principal asked two of the boys to remove American flag bandannas that they wearing on their heads and for the others to turn their American flag T-shirts inside out. When they refused, the boys were ordered to go to the principal's office.

"They said we could wear it on any other day," Daniel Galli said, "but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it today."

The boys said the administrators called their T-shirts "incendiary" that would lead to fights on campus.

"They said if we tried to go back to class with our shirts not taken off, they said it was defiance and we would get suspended," Dominic Maciel, Galli's friend, said.

The boys really had no choice, and went home to avoid suspension. They say they're angry they were not allowed to express their American pride. Their parents are just as upset, calling what happened to their children, "total nonsense."

"I think it's absolutely ridiculous," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mom, said. "All they were doing was displaying their patriotic nature. They're expressing their individuality."

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July."

As for an apology, the boys and their families say, 'fat chance.'

"I'm not going to apologize. I did nothing wrong," Galli said. "I went along with my normal day. I might have worn an American flag, but I'm an American and I'm proud to be an American."

The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

farmer
SEOP

Re: Boys kicked off campus for wearing American Flag Tshirts

Post by farmer »

These boys do not need to apoligise for anything. Most schools can not celebrate Christmas and must call it something else so they do not offend certain people. Here is a holiday for people from another country and american's are being forced to celebrate. I am all for learning about others traditions but to have to put away your beliefs so not to offend people from another country while being in our country is wrong.

They complained about the new Arizona law but they do not like Americans being proud to be Americans.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

The ACLU is going to have a blast with this one!

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

I doubt the anti caucasian liberal union will side with Americans over mexicans.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Our country is so afraid of not offending others and losing their votes. It is still The USA with our flag flying not another country. Well at least not here. I do have family that live in other countries and the respect our country. When respect is gone then they can be gone from this country also.

Cookie
Freshman Team

Post by Cookie »

farmer wrote:
The five boys and their families met with a Morgan Hill Unified School District official Wednesday night. The district and the school do not see eye-to-eye on the incident and released the following statement:

The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions.

The boys will not be suspended and were allowed to return to school Thursday. We spotted one of them when he got to campus -- and, yes, he was sporting an American flag T-shirt.

I think after this statement from the Superintendent that there will be a couple of school building administrators looking for work this summer.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

If they're offended by the American flag...ANY of the 365 days of the year (366 on Leap Year)...then, let them get their hind ends across the border where they can celebrate this MEXICAN HOLIDAY in Mexico with Mexicans! This is the United States Of America, isn't it? They're either an American, or they're not.

Doesn't matter where you came from, how long you or your family has been here, what color your skin is or what religion you are...if you're a citizen of America, then, you are an American, period. Somehow, lately, that has become a blurred fact today, even the 'Clown Of D.C.' seems to be having a hard time grasping that as well it seems. Not to mention, one party (whom I won't say which lest I cross a boundary here) is PANDERING BIG TIME NOW!

I'd do away with ANY celebration like these in our public schools..any celebration that elevates a particular race, country of origin...etc etc..it has no business in public schools in my opinion. It only causes nothing but problems

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Something that hit me...is..viewing that these students were so sickened by the site of the American flag on a Mexican Holiday...it kinda takes a little off the edge of the internment camps during WW2. I'm NOT saying they were right but it does help you understand it a wee bit better?

WHERE or whose side would these students be on if the United States went to war with Mexico one day?

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

From Wikipeda

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a holiday held on May 5 that commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.[2][3] It is celebrated primarily in the state of Puebla and in the United States.[4][5][6][7] While Cinco de Mayo sees limited significance and celebration nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed nationwide in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride.[8] Cinco de Mayo is not Mexico's Independence Day,[9] the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.[10]

Mexico

Cinco de Mayo is a regional holiday limited primarily to the state of Puebla. There is some limited recognition of the holiday in other parts of the country.[17] For the most part, the celebrations combine food, music, and dancing.

United States

In the United States Cinco de Mayo has taken on a significance beyond that in Mexico.[16][18][19][20] The date is perhaps best recognized in the United States as a date to celebrate the culture and experiences of Americans of Mexican ancestry, much as St. Patrick's Day, Oktoberfest, and the Chinese New Year are used to celebrate those of Irish, German, and Chinese ancestry respectively. Similar to those holidays, Cinco de Mayo is observed by many Americans regardless of ethnic origin. Celebrations tend to draw both from traditional Mexican symbols, such as the Virgen de Guadalupe, and from prominent figures of Mexican descent in the United States, including César Chávez.[21] To celebrate, many display Cinco de Mayo banners while school districts hold special events to educate pupils about its historical significance. Special events and celebrations highlight Mexican culture, especially in its music and regional dancing. Examples include baile folklórico and mariachi demonstrations held annually at the Plaza del Pueblo de Los Angeles, near Olvera Street. Commercial interests in the United States have capitalized on the celebration, advertising Mexican products and services, with an emphasis on beverages,[22] foods, and music.[23][24]

Boonedawg
S

Post by Boonedawg »

We should start quatro de mayo.....a celebration of immigration enforcement and deportation.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

American is a melting pot. Our diversity is what makes us the greatest nation in the world. It's fine that we celebrate and study about the contributions that other nations and cultures have given us. Many schools do this and have a little fun along the way. Most of us have a curiosity about our country's past and how we got to this point.

The whole incident is unfortunate and much of the rhetoric that has resulted is sicking.

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Diversity may have made us great but political correctness has started to rot out the foundation....

toast
All State

Post by toast »

over the top rhetoric has done far more damage......

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Agreed, toast! I heard the the principal acted as he did because he suspected that those particular boys were deliberately trying to be "confrontational" by wearing the American flag on Cinco de Mayo and hoping to provoke a fight with their fellow students of Mexican heritage.
Apparently he was just trying to be pro-active and head off the possibility of fisticuffs on school property. Agreed, he went too far, and probably will lose his job. But I also suspect he was absolutely accurate in knowing who the troublemakers are and figuring out that their "display of patriotism" that day had more to do with being "anti-Mexican" than with being "pro-American".

Way different context and poor analogy - but how about kids wearing Steelers shirts to school in a Cleveland HS just before Pittsburgh played the Browns - would doing that provoke any fights?

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

toast wrote:over the top rhetoric has done far more damage......

I for one am glad somebody, anybody is raising a little cain over this. It's okay to bash christianity. It's okay to poke fun at Christ. It's okay for planned parenthood to give out birth control to minors. It's okay for my tax dollars to fund abortion or stem cell research. It's okay to release child molesters after 6 months because the big bad criminals frown on such things and might beat them up. It's okay for comedy central to bash religions as long as it's not Islam. It's okay for people to attack Israel but not for them to defend themselves. It's okay for our leaders to openly promote drinking while we spend millions to teach our kids to act responsibily. It's okay for sex to be on every channel at any time of day while we fight to control teenage pregnancy. I can give you all kinds of rhetoric but i'm considered to be on the "wrong" side so that just makes me a hater and i'm told to shut my mouth or face the polically correct machine that is running this country.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Good post caglewis! There is often more to the story than some want to report.

ironmen: Sounds like you have been listening to Rush a little too much. :(

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

I have never listened to Rush. I find life experience to be more reliable than most of the quacks on both sides of the aisle. I call it like i see it. You have extremists on both sides that know how to play the game and stir up their "followers". Prove my comments wrong and maybe we can all sit down to dinner with Glenn Beck...... :lol:

ironmen1987
SE

Post by ironmen1987 »

Just for the record Toast, i do find the fact that this group of students were as i understand it, sitting together, as a "curious" sign as to their intentions. I would never openly support a fight between students or groups anywhere for that matter but i also would never stand around and be steam-rolled because of my beliefs. It seems that most people that complain about "their rights" will turn around and with their next breath condemn someone else because of their views or values. People love to yell peace, peace but the fact remains that with alot of issues there just isn't a such thing as middle or common ground.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

gahs4ever wrote:Political correctness is an oxymoron because it is usually not about politics and it is seldom correct in the sense that no matter what the "issue," someone is offended and someone makes a federal case out of nothing.

I couldnt care less why those kids were wearing those shirts. Even if they WERE indeed looking for trouble, there is nothing to indicate that they did anything of a physical nature. And just because someone is wearing something offensive to you doesnt give you the right to respond with violence.

As long as those shirts did not violate any legal dress code at the school, IMO they were within their rights to wear them and it sounds like the principal (I say again SOUNDS LIKE) over reacted.

I realize that all of us were at one time aliens from other countries (unless we are Native Americans). Columbus or Vespucci or whoever DID NOT discover America. It was already inhabited.

I also realize that we are a "melting pot," but you go to any other country to live and try to tell them that their laws, traditions, religious practices, etc are offensive to you and see where it gets you. I believe in respecting everyone's rights and freedoms, but not by repressing my own.

BTW...this country has been a melting pot for well over 200 years but the changes that ironman 1987 mentions have only happened in the last 30 or so years. I wonder how our melting pot society survived for 200 years with crosses and nativity scenes on government property, not to mention Scripture verses engraved on the walls of those chambers. I wonder who was offended way back when when we put in God we trust on our currency, school sessions opened with prayer and I dont remember anyone thinking a thing about it.

I could go on, but in summary, arent we all just waaaaaaaaay too sensitive and intolerant whenever we dont agree with what is said and done?

:aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41

OUTFREAKINSTANDING!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

toast
All State

Post by toast »

What's to bad is that we've got to the point in this country where many on one side of an issue can't understand the feelings of those on the other side. The vast generalizations that are used to characterize a group are often unfair, inaccurate and deeply hurtful. People like Beck and Limbaugh shoulder much of the blame with over the top comments made on a regular bases to a pretty large audience. Much of what I hear on talk radio nauseates me. When people only hear one side of an issues it tends to make them more extreme in their views. It seems we have a lot of that going on these days.

My conservative friends forward me emails quite often. I'm always amazed how someone has taken a complex issue and reduced it down to a catchy little one liner. There is usually some truth to the sentence but it doesn't begin to do justice to a complex and evolving issue.

It's funny how some people would rather see themselves as the victim when the other side has suffered a far great injustice over time.

Return to “The Off season”