Ironton High School Open House?

General Chat
tk421
Varsity

Ironton High School Open House?

Post by tk421 »

Anyone know when the open house is for the new high school? I thought I heard that it was supposed to be on Thursday the 26th, but I'm not sure. Of course, the Tribune hasn't had anything about it in the paper, worthless news. Thanks.

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Re: Ironton High School Open House?

Post by d-5 »

IHS students enjoying new building
By Lori Kersey (Contact) | The Tribune

Published Monday, August 23, 2010

Photo by Jessica St. James

A ladder is seen in the hallway on the third floor of the newly built Ironton High School.
Just days into the new school year, the newest part of the Ironton School District is making the grade, according to its students.

The public will get a look at the new building at a ribbon cutting ceremony at 1 p.m. Thursday, but students have been attending classes there since Aug. 18.Many of them say they are impressed.

“I love it,” Kaitlyn Hackworth, a senior, said during her lunch period Friday. “It’s really nice. There’s a lot more space and a lot better technology.”

The new school is part of an approximately $50 million construction project that included the combined middle and elementary school building as well.

Technology in the new school includes new Smart Boards, projectors, microphones and speakers in every classroom.

Besides technology, the 93,000 square foot building also boasts an increased amount of space that has not gone unnoticed.

“I like it,” senior Andrew Hicks said. “It’s a lot bigger so you’re not bumping into people in the hall.”

Junior Tiffany Kinney agreed.

“It’s a lot better than last year. It’s nice not to have to wait five minutes to get through the hallways.

“We have a lot more room here and lunch isn’t as crowded. It’s really nice not to walk down the aisle in the classroom and trip over book bags.”

Senior Sarah Lambert first got a look at the new school and its $3.2 million auditorium in May, when she acted in the school’s annual musical. It was the first time a production was presented in the 600-seat auditorium.

“We love it,” she said of the auditorium. “It has a good sound system. It’s nice not to have to go all the way to Raceland like we were before.”

A new gymnasium and a weight room have already been put to use by the school’s football team.

“It’s pretty nice,” senior Brian Warner, a football player, said of the gym. “The weight room is not a whole lot bigger than the other one but it’s a lot nicer.”

The gym features new electric vinyl seats that accommodate 600 people.

Freshman football player Tristan Yates said his favorite part of the new building is the gym.

“(I like) the way it’s put together,” Yates said.

Hackworth, a volleyball player, had not used the gym yet but was excited to do so. “We’ll be in there tomorrow,” she said. “We’re all really excited.”

For Hicks, the new cafeteria is the best part of the school. The lunchroom is situated outside the auditorium and features an oak ticket booth and a bronze tiger salvaged from the old school.

“There’s a lot more room. It’s about double the size that it was,” Hicks said.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

pretty sure the building will be open to the public from 6-7 PM thursday evening

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

hmm, how are they going to have a ribbon cutting ceremony and an open house at 1PM? Aren't classes going on tomorrow? Like I said, the Tribune is pretty short on the details.

Gray Fighting Tiger
Varsity

Post by Gray Fighting Tiger »

tk421 wrote:Anyone know when the open house is for the new high school? I thought I heard that it was supposed to be on Thursday the 26th, but I'm not sure. Of course, the Tribune hasn't had anything about it in the paper, worthless news. Thanks.
In addition to the article cited above:

Tuesday Aug 24... page 8 upper left hand corner

Wednesday Aug 25... page 10 upper left hand corner

meet the team 6:45 pm at the new high school; open house to follow

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

news

Invictus
Waterboy

Post by Invictus »

I would like to know what the facts are about the lockdown we had at the schools Friday 8-27. The kids who were designated to walk to and from school were allowed to leave the school at the normal time and walk home after being locked down all day. This would indicate the administration had more facts about the caller's intent or maybe arrest status.

Return to “The Off season”