Do You Fear Lighting?

General Chat
kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Do You Fear Lighting?

Post by kantuckyII »

...something I've noticed a lot lately is guys will be out bass fishing and stay out there during a thunderstorm. I think a lot of that came about because of the big bass tournaments but I sure wouldn't be out there during a electrical storm. I get caught accidentally many times by a quick moving storm that hits before I can get out of the water but I don't stay out there intentionally

How about it? do you worry about it when you're outside?

vids4ckcrash
Varsity

Re: Do You Fear Lighting?

Post by vids4ckcrash »

Even Jesus................now fears lightning.

http://esrati.com/dayton-daily-thinks-t ... news/5106/

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

You shall not make for yourself any carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I tried to leave in a bad storm one night, and thought BOO was going to kill me. So we just keep on fishing.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I was on Yatesville last night till about 3 in the morning. After the quarter moon set, WAY off in the distance, you could see there was a storm. The lighting was beautiful. You couldn't see a bolt, just the light, it was eerie but beautiful too. It wasn't like heat lighting though, hard to describe it actually. I'd be afraid to say just how many miles away that thing was.

Last year, I saw ball lighting sit on a tree. It was so freakish looking..I could imagine how, in ancient superstitious times how people could think they saw a supernatural being.

Years ago, a friend and I were fishing on Hammer Town Lake, a storm came up suddenly and we pulled the boat into the bank and got out under a picnic shelter. We sat there watching this vicious storm. Suddenly, we both felt (we discussed it afterwards, wasn't time to then) our hair on our arms and head starts to stand up...then, an explosion and a blinding light. The air had this smell of ozone or something to it. We both felt that it had hit the shelter right above out heads. I know my ears rang for a half an hour afterwards

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

gahs4ever wrote:If that friend of yours was Turk, perhaps it was his particular brand of kool aid that made your hair stand up! :122246

Turke is merely an acquaintance of Kantuck. :roll: :lol:
(and/or vise versa)

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Do You Fear Lighting?
kantuckyII wrote:I was on Yatesville last night till about 3 in the morning. After the quarter moon set, WAY off in the distance, you could see there was a storm. The lighting was beautiful. You couldn't see a bolt, just the light, it was eerie but beautiful too. It wasn't like heat lighting though, hard to describe it actually. I'd be afraid to say just how many miles away that thing was.

Last year, I saw ball lighting sit on a tree. It was so freakish looking..I could imagine how, in ancient superstitious times how people could think they saw a supernatural being.

Years ago, a friend and I were fishing on Hammer Town Lake, a storm came up suddenly and we pulled the boat into the bank and got out under a picnic shelter. We sat there watching this vicious storm. Suddenly, we both felt (we discussed it afterwards, wasn't time to then) our hair on our arms and head starts to stand up...then, an explosion and a blinding light. The air had this smell of ozone or something to it. We both felt that it had hit the shelter right above out heads. I know my ears rang for a half an hour afterwards

Exactly what is LIGHTING ? Is that an occurrence just before the LIGHTNING ?? :)

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Lee Travino once said that he always takes a #2 iron fishing with him and holds it up in the air during severe storms. He said that even God couldn't hit a 2 iron.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Turk ain't no one's friend!

Oz, I believe thats when a guy should put on a large buzz bait...load up with a big swing and slap your bud upside the head with a cast. Then again, how large of a buzz bait would it take to get that guy's attention?!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

BigOrangeOne wrote:Do You Fear Lighting?
kantuckyII wrote:I was on Yatesville last night till about 3 in the morning. After the quarter moon set, WAY off in the distance, you could see there was a storm. The lighting was beautiful. You couldn't see a bolt, just the light, it was eerie but beautiful too. It wasn't like heat lighting though, hard to describe it actually. I'd be afraid to say just how many miles away that thing was.

Exactly what is LIGHTING ? Is that an occurrence just before the LIGHTNING ?? :)

ROFL! you got me there! :lol:

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

I fear ALL strong weather - wind, rain/flood, and fire - your insurance [if you have it] will find a way to exclude your claim. You're absolutely on your own here! But it's all God's will, isn't it? So just pray about it - yeah right!
Last edited by caglewis on Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Geesh, just found this when doing a search on lighting!

Image Lightning bolt kills 52 cows
A single lightning bolt killed 52 cows at an Uruguayan ranch

Newspaper El Pais reported the cows had pressed against a wire fence during a storm when the lightning bolt struck in the northern state of San Jose.

A photograph released by the San Jose Police Department shows the black and brown cows lying dead in a long row.

The newspaper said that veterinarians at the scene confirmed the cause of the deaths, which happened on Wednesday.

The veterinarians told the newspaper that cows often crowd around fences to seek protection during storms

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Back to that lightning strike that came to close to us...seriously, it was eerie feeling the hair suddenly rise on our arms and our head. It was the same sensation as when take a balloon and rub it against your head and let the static cause your hair to raise. Felt just like that, only it was all our hair and in an instant

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Only when God has expressed His perfect will, do I propose to know it. If someone lays before me struck by lighting, I wouldn't want to be like Job's family and friends. At the same time, I know I'm not to tempt God. If I stand out in a field swinging a golf club during an electrical storm, I'd be tempting God in my opinion

Return to “The Off season”