Alabama Tornaodes

General Chat
OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Alabama Tornaodes

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I know alot of people on here have family down there, I hope there all doing ok.

Leo Byrd
SEO

Re: Alabama Tornaodes

Post by Leo Byrd »

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

Worst outbreak of storms since the super cells of 1974. Thank god that they didnt make it to southern ohio with the strength they had in the south. Prayers to all those affected.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

I was finally able to make contact with my mom and dad last night around 10:30 p.m. They had been without electric since before 6 p.m. Dad said that he had been outside to see if the house had any damage but could not tell too much about it since it was so dark. I talked to them again this morning and he said the only damage they had was water in the basement. That is a concrete floor so they can open the garage door and get most of that outside. He did say that trees were down all around them, roofs blown off, a home nearby burned to the ground due to lightning that he could see. Thankfully, they are safe!

The Columbus Dispatch has photos from Athens (30 miles east of my parents) Phil Campbell (35 miles south) this town was destroyed and its about the size of Lucasville for those of you in southern Ohio, Birmingham area and Tuscaloosa. You can go to Fox 6 in Birmingham to see the damage caused if you want to view a link. I am putting on a link from nw Alabama, hopefully, it will work.

Please remember the folks in Alabama today and especially the families of people who lost their life yesterday. I am sure many more bodies will be recovered today.

http://www.timesdaily.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... =galleries

http://www.tuscaloosanews.com/

http://www.birminghamnews.com

http://decaturdaily.com/

http://huntsvilletimes.com
Last edited by alabama mike on Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Thank God you and yours are safe bamamike!!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I was worried about your mom and dad Mike. I'm glad to hear they are okay.

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

Happy to hear your family is ok Mike. Prayers go out for all those affected!

perrycountyohio
Waterboy

Post by perrycountyohio »

death toll now at 300.

People thought the Xenia outbreak in 1974 was a once in 100 year event. clearly, they were wrong.

just wow.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Could you imagine what it would be like if a tornado like the 1925 Tri-State Tornado would hit today with the population being what it is now though? One mile wide, travelling well over 200 miles and at speeds of over 60 mph!

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

My family in Alabama are all safe. My sister lost her home in the Enterprise Alabama tornado in 07 and I am thankful they were safe this time. On the sad side, my daughter's brother-in-law has lost a cousin and her two children in Tuscaloosa. My thoughts and prayers go out to them as well as everyone in the south.
Last edited by grndma1 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

perrycountyohio
Waterboy

Post by perrycountyohio »

The death toll is just so sad.

The watches and warnings were issued in a timely manner. Tornado sirens were going off.

But not everyone can be saved from EF5 250+ mph winds. not much can be done about that.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

FIDO- Bonnie and Earl were in the Auburn area and had to seek shelter at one point, but the bad tornados were north of them. Earls cousin in the Huntsville area lost part of her roof and had trees down in her yard but no one was hurt. She spent 6 hours in a closet with her kids. Earl hasn't been able to contact one of his friends who lives in Tuscaloosa yet.

dragoncoach56
JV Team

Post by dragoncoach56 »

All my prayers go out to those folks. I cannot remember devastation from tornadoes this bad in the south.

NorthernLight
Freshman Team

Post by NorthernLight »

My heart goes out to those in Ala, Miss, Tenn, Va, Ga, . The month of April has been devastating here in the South. I hope all the PDS's are over with. I'm ready to see a few May flowers and get a little sleep at night. Next we gear up for the Atlantic Hurricane season.

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

It was reported on the Weather Channel if you could not go somewhere underground during these storms, you most likely would not survive.

Tiger Lady
SE

Post by Tiger Lady »

28,000 people have filed for aid with FEMA.......very sad......

Return to “The Off season”