Ohio Magazine names Nelsonville "Best Hometown" for 2012

General Chat
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Ohio Magazine names Nelsonville "Best Hometown" for 2012

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Ohio Magazine names Nelsonville "Best Hometown" for 2012. Here is the article in this month's issue -

http://ohiomagbesthometowns.com/Main/southeast.aspx
For many, Nelsonville is a town they pass through on their way to the campus of Ohio University in Athens. But to those who call the close-knit community home, it’s much more — a haven for the arts, a hub of educational resources and an outdoor enthusiast’s delight.

With a U.S. Rte. 33 bypass nearing completion, motorists will no longer need to drive through town en route to Athens. “We’re happy about it,” says Jenna Dill, marketing and sales manager at the Athens County Convention and Visitors Bureau. “It will force people to choose to explore Nelsonville on their own, to experience all that the town has to offer. Nelsonville will now be seen as a destination, which of course it always has been.”

Like much of the southeast Ohio region, Nelsonville has a rich coal-mining history. It was settled by the Daniel Nelson family in 1814; shortly thereafter merchants arrived, followed by the Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad at the end of the Civil War.

One of Nelsonville’s charms is a deep connection to its roots, evident in the town square, where you can grab lunch at FullBrooks Café, housed in the circa 1830 Dew House hotel. Nelsonville’s historic district is dotted with distinctive homes, while nearby the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway, a vintage-train attraction, offers rides including a holiday season Santa Train.

The community’s can-do spirit is evident at the historic Stuart’s Opera House, which after decades of disuse and a devastating fire, reopened in 1997. An eclectic line-up of musicians has performed on the Stuart’s stage, from Dr. Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys to Richie Havens, Loudon Wainwright III and The Four Lads.

Also located in the square are a number of boutiques and, most notably, art galleries, which host exhibits by regional and national artists. The galleries are the centerpiece of Nelsonville’s popular Final Fridays on the Square, monthly (except for December) visual and performing arts gatherings.

In the fall, another popular Friday-night outing is a good old-fashioned football game. Nelsonville is a serious pigskin town (the mascot shares the name of another popular team, the Buckeyes), and the community is decked out in brown and orange for every game.

Nelsonville is also proud of its educational resources. Hocking College, a two-year technical college, is known for its innovative degree programs in natural resources, energy and music production.

Nelsonville’s diverse employers include not only Hocking College, but also Doctors Hospital, the headquarters of Wayne National Forest and Rocky Brands Inc., a maker of outdoor and occupational boots.

“I just love this town,” says Kevin Dotson, retail manager at the Rocky Outdoor Gear Store, which carries the company’s footwear. “I wouldn’t live anywhere else. The spirit of this community is wonderful.”

The feeling of community pride and camaraderie in Nelsonville truly is apparent when you stroll along its streets — people smile, stop to say hello and are quick to share a story about what makes their hometown one of the “best.” It’s a place where you can make a name for yourself, try something new, feed your inner artist, make lifelong friends, explore the great outdoors, and (Go Bucks!) get serious about football.

In a nutshell, it’s one of a kind.

Nelsonville
Year Founded: 1814
Population: 5,392
Size: 5 sq. miles
Type of Government: City manager, 7-member council

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Re: Ohio Magazine names Nelsonville "Best Hometown" for 2012

Post by WitnessProtection »

Congrats to Nelsonville! That's a gorgeous cover shot.
My new adopted hometown of Zanesville was a 2011 pick by Ohio Mag. We're in good company!

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

What a great recognition of the many offerings and advantages of our southeastern area of this State as opposed to the frequent scorn and ridicule heaped on us generally.
Ohio Magazine is always interesting and a great read. I have often given subscriptions as gifts.
Back when I was still working, it got to be a "joke" among my coworkers than whenever they said "where did you hear about/how did you know about" some interesting thing/event/place on which I had expressed knowledge - my answer was always "Ohio Magazine"!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Go Ville

mustang_lvr
SEOPS Hippo

Post by mustang_lvr »

nice little town

been a couple movies made there

Return to “The Off season”