Books You would Recommend

General Chat
abuck76
SEOPS HO

Books You would Recommend

Post by abuck76 »

Me, Robert Fulghums book, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten.........George Orwells, 1984.......amongnst others........... :12224

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Books You would Recommend

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Imperfect Justice........Jeffrey Ashton with Lisa Pulitzer

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

I have enjoyed all the books by Dean Koonz and also The Hunger Games trilogy.

Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

April 1865 by Jay Winik, Have a Nice Day: A tale of blood and sweat socks by Mick Foley, and Killer Angels by Michael Shaara are three I'd recommend.

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

"The Shack" by William P. Young..

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove is my all-time favorite.
Colleen McCullough's The Thornbirds is second.
All James A. Michener's books provide huge accurately historical and geographical information with a fascinatating fictional story and people attached. Loved all of them.
For "mysteries" - try J. A. Jance's "J. P. Beaumont" series set in Seattle, Nevada Barr's "Anna Pidgeon" series set in various National Parks, Dana Stabenow's "Kate Shugac" series set in Alaska,
C. J. Box's "Joe Pickett" series set in Wyoming, and all Dick Francis's books with a horse in them.
And the Kellermans - Jonathan and Faye - mystery series are pretty good, too.
I also loved Ivan Doig's Montana books - English Creek, and Dancing at the Rascal Fair.
Can you tell I've pretty much got a book open close by all the time?
I don't like the genres of science fiction, occult, or romance as a general rule - don't read them.

Footballfan1
Waterboy

Post by Footballfan1 »

1984 - Orwell
Farenheit 451 - Bradbury
Brave New World - Huxley
The Kite Runner - Hosseini
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Hosseini
Farewell to Arms - Hemingway ( Heck anything by Hemingway

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

A few things I forgot
Leon Uris's Exodus - I've read it at least 3 times - its topic just keeps making current news.
Charlotte DeBlassis's "Swann" series - 3 books all with the word "swann" in the title.
They probably fall in the category of "historical period romantic fiction" which I am generally not fond of, but I loved these. Plenty of believeable historical context, not too syrupy or "all beautiful and perfect", and interesting generational family/characters/profession/time period.
And for all of you readers - here's a website to keep track of your favorite series of books:
http://www.fictfact.com/index.aspx
Back to mysteries - I like Ridley Pearson's "Lou Boldt" series in which he mentions his character's houseboat neighbor - who sounds suspiciously like the real Robert Fulgham - also read his books.

grndma1
SEOPS HO

Post by grndma1 »

I also have one to add to my list. I have it about worn out. I look at it everytime I plan a road trip. It's a book called Dave Trippin which was written by Dave Lavender, and photography by Toril Lavender. It was a wonderful gift given to me by Mr. and Mrs. Focused a few years ago, and has been put to good use. :-D

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Years ago I read Harvest Moon and it is still one of the best book I have read.

I have a Steven King collection and I have never read one of them. lol

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

You should read them.......They are all good.........His movies are not so good, but his books are fantastic............. :12224

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

some of my favorite books are the alan eckert books,
tecumseh
fontiersman
wilderness empire
blue jacket.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

More "I can't believe I forgot" - this is a dangerous topic for me - I'll always think of more.
James Alexander Thom's Follow The River - a lot of familiar geography/history involved
John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany - fantastic book - these two esp for YTB
Pat Conroy's Prince of Tides. I gave this paperback to my father when he was hospitalized.
At that time my brother was an engineer for Jabsco, a small engine manufacturer [he ended up gaining several patents while employed for them]. In the book, the fishing boat central to the story and its engine are described in detail including specific mentions of Jabsco engines.
One of his nurses told me later how delighted and proud he was to read about an engine that was actually part of his son's real life contributions and company's products in a NOVEL.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

For some folks on here........the Merriam Webster Dickshunairy....... :) :) :)

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

noreply66 wrote:Years ago I read Harvest Moon and it is still one of the best book I have read.

Harvest Moon by what author? I looked it up on Amazon and found several books with that title.

Also - never mind Steven - read his wife Tabitha King's book One On One about girls' high school basketball in Maine. The "prank" described in the opening pages will have you laughing so hard you can't still read. Great book - loved it. And while I'm on the subject of books about sports:
Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger - high school football - the basis for the TV show which I also loved - the problem with a TV show about high school is that the "players" supposedly have to graduate! You can't have the same cast of players still around season after season.
The Last Shot by Darcy Frey - high school basketball - sad but true story.
Hang Time: Days and Dreams with Michael Jordan; Be True to Your School by Bob Greene
[find the paperback version because it has an interesting "update" to the original hardcover].
All Summer Long, a novel about a quest by middle-aged baseball fans also by Bob Greene.
I don't like baseball, but I liked this book about it [more interesting to read about than watch!].
I also like this thread, and appreciate/include many of the posted suggestions on my library list.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

caglewis wrote:
noreply66 wrote:Years ago I read Harvest Moon and it is still one of the best book I have read.

Harvest Moon by what author? I looked it up on Amazon and found several books with that title.

Also - never mind Steven - read his wife Tabitha King's book One On One about girls' high school basketball in Maine. The "prank" described in the opening pages will have you laughing so hard you can't still read. Great book - loved it. And while I'm on the subject of books about sports:
Friday Night Lights by H.G. Bissinger - high school football - the basis for the TV show which I also loved - the problem with a TV show about high school is that the "players" supposedly have to graduate! You can't have the same cast of players still around season after season.
The Last Shot by Darcy Frey - high school basketball - sad but true story.
Hang Time: Days and Dreams with Michael Jordan; Be True to Your School by Bob Greene
[find the paperback version because it has an interesting "update" to the original hardcover].
All Summer Long, a novel about a quest by middle-aged baseball fans also by Bob Greene.
I don't like baseball, but I liked this book about it [more interesting to read about than watch!].
I also like this thread, and appreciate/include many of the posted suggestions on my library list.

Can't remember the author--I read it in the middle 70s and it was just out.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Amazon choices for Harvest Moon - pick one
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/ ... rvest+moon

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Evil Twins...........John Glatt

Tiger Lady