General Chat
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Bad flu season worsens

Post by dazed&confused »

http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2013 ... gency?lite

By JoNel Aleccia, Staff Writer, NBC News

The nation's severe flu season continued to worsen Wednesday, with reports of hospitals overflowing with sick patients and at least one major U.S. city declaring an influenza emergency and urging citizens to get vaccinated before the peak is reached.

In Boston, Mayor Thomas Menino declared a public health emergency because of a sharp rise in cases. That city has seen about 700 confirmed cases of influenza since the season began in October, a 10-fold jump over the 70 cases reported for all of last year, said Nick Martin, a spokesman for the Boston Public Health Commission.

While last year was an unusually mild flu season, according to government health officials, this year's numbers are worrisome, the city's mayor said.

"This is the worst flu season we've seen since 2009, and people should take the threat of flu seriously," Menino said in a news release. "This is not only a health concern, but also an economic concern for families, and I'm urging residents to get vaccinated if they haven't already. It's the best thing you can do to protect yourself and your family. If you're sick, please stay home from work or school."

Flu cases have accounted for more than 4 percent of Boston emergency room visits recently, and about a quarter of those patients have required hospitalization, said Martin. The city has recorded four deaths since October, Martin said. All of those deaths were in elderly people. Community health clinics will offer free flu shots to citizens this weekend, Martin added.

Nationwide, the flu has spread to more than 80 percent of the U.S., latest figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention indicated. More than 2,200 people had been hospitalized since October, and 18 children have died. Other viruses besides the flu are also circulating -- CDC data shows only about a third of all people with flu-like symptoms actually are testing positive for influenza.

The severe season, the earliest in nearly a decade, is starting to strain hospitals across the country. In Milwaukee, emergency departments have been forced to divert incoming ambulances to other hospitals because they've been flooded with older patients with severe flu-like symptoms, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel newspaper. Several of Milwaukee's 11 hospitals have reported so-called "rolling diversions" because of flu patients, the paper reported.

In Delaware, the Christiana Care Health System has expanded its emergency room into a nearby conference room to accommodate the jump in flu cases, officials told NBC News.

The bad season has been blamed on an especially virulent flu strain, the A H3N2 strain. Another A strain, H1N1, and two influenza B strains are also causing illness. Vaccines prepared for this year are a good match for three of the viruses, although one strain of influenza B is not covered by the vaccine and may be accounting for 8 percent to 10 percent of flu cases, according to infectious disease experts.

It can take two weeks for the flu shot to provide full protection, and in the interim, people may still get sick, health officials caution. The shots don't provide 100 percent protection, only between 65 percent and 80 percent in a healthy person, but they can lessen the severity and duration of symptoms. The earlier people get shots, the sooner they'll be protected, health officials add.

Has anyone suffered from this yet? It is widespread in Ohio, according to statistics. I got a flu shot in September. I had sniffles and a nagging cough over the Holidays but not a full-blown flu. I really don't get nausea when I get the flu but it takes the form of a bad head cold and body aches with me. So far, I haven't had that yet.

Paladin
SEOP

Re: Bad flu season worsens

Post by Paladin »

Had a flu shot in Oct and caught a 24 hour bug in Dec. Not sure it was a flu strain.

mustang_lvr
SEOPS Hippo

Post by mustang_lvr »

columbus news said there is a virus going around. And it has been coming back on some.

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

I currently have it. Can't get rid of this fever. May make another trip to the doctor soon.

Focused
SEOPS

Post by Focused »

I've had a cold/congestion, etc. for 2 weeks.. Can't shake it... I took a flu shot in October... I heard of a couple of schools closing for 2 days because of the flu.. One church close by cancelled both services last Sunday because of the flu.. (small congregation, mostly elderly) It seemingly is bad everywhere..

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Focused wrote:I've had a cold/congestion, etc. for 2 weeks.. Can't shake it... I took a flu shot in October... I heard of a couple of schools closing for 2 days because of the flu.. One church close by cancelled both services last Sunday because of the flu.. (small congregation, mostly elderly) It seemingly is bad everywhere..
It is bad down here on 11th street......... :roll: :roll:

Me and the pharmacist at Staley's had a long discussion today....... :) :)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

The shot only works at 75 percent

Der_Kommissar1968
JV Team

Post by Der_Kommissar1968 »

TigerTownTurkey wrote:
Focused wrote:I've had a cold/congestion, etc. for 2 weeks.. Can't shake it... I took a flu shot in October... I heard of a couple of schools closing for 2 days because of the flu.. One church close by cancelled both services last Sunday because of the flu.. (small congregation, mostly elderly) It seemingly is bad everywhere..

Staley's is still around? The one on Kemp and 9th?

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

Der_Kommissar1968 wrote:
TigerTownTurkey wrote:

Staley's is still around? The one on Kemp and 9th?
Both Staleys are still open..........3rd st downtown and 9th and Kemp..........dont know how they stay in business with CVS, RiteAid and a new Fruth in town.......

mustang_lvr
SEOPS Hippo

Post by mustang_lvr »

new at 6 said it was n 47 states

Bear
Freshman Team

Post by Bear »

I paid $140 for tamiflu. I wont be going to any pharmacys outside of the hospitals again.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Ouch

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I thought this was pretty interesting and it is from the CDC. Anyone else remember the flu pandemic from the early 60s maybe 1960 and the one in the late 60s? It was brutal!

How Flu Spreads

Person to Person
People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu viruses are spread mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might also get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth or nose.

(To avoid this, people should stay away from sick people and stay home if sick. It also is important to wash hands often with soap and water. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub. Linens, eating utensils, and dishes belonging to those who are sick should not be shared without washing thoroughly first. Eating utensils can be washed either in a dishwasher or by hand with water and soap and do not need to be cleaned separately. Further, frequently touched surfaces should be cleaned and disinfected at home, work and school, especially if someone is ill.)

The Flu Is Contagious
Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children may pass the virus for longer than 7 days. Symptoms start 1 to 4 days after the virus enters the body. That means that you may be able to pass on the flu to someone else before you know you are sick, as well as while you are sick. Some persons can be infected with the flu virus but have no symptoms. During this time, those persons may still spread the virus to others.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I've had it for a few days now, never had the chill's this bad in my life. Mean stuff. Wash your hands every chance you get people if your out and about.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Cooling down in some states

abuck76
SEOPS HO

Post by abuck76 »

I do not think we will ever see another pandemic, with the advancements in tech ............... Simple percautions help tremendously............ :12224

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I hope nobody gets it on here. It was awful this year for me. Mean strain. Never shivered so much in my life. Uncontrolable shivers. Felt like i was ready for the dirt nap.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

People a cross the street have it right now.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I bet they feel like they are ready for a dirt nap. Mean stuff this year.

mustang_lvr
SEOPS Hippo

Post by mustang_lvr »

Some of that stuff out there for relief is nasty.

Return to “The Off season”