General Chat
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

N-Y Schools presented w/ proposal for armed resource officer

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.athensohiotoday.com/news/n-y ... 1a960.html
N-Y Schools presented with proposal for armed resource officer

By AP and Messenger staff

NELSONVILLE — Nelsonville Police Department presented a proposal to Nelsonville-York City Schools to station an armed resource officer at the school complex.

Chief Jason Wallace presented the idea to the school board during its meeting last week. Supt. Mick McClelland said the school needs time to consider the proposal.

“We haven’t sat down to discuss it yet,” McClelland said. “We have considered it in the past. We’d love to be able to do it. It comes down to the finances. We’ll see what comes down the pike.”

The proposal states that the police department would outfit, train and certify the officer. The school would be responsible for paying the officer nine months out of the year, when school is in session.

“When school is closed, we’d bring (the officer) back into our services,” Wallace said during the school board meeting. “That’s the goal.”

It’s unclear if this would mean a reassigned officer or a new position within the department.

Nelsonville-York elementary, middle school and high school students are on the same campus.

The proposal comes as districts and lawmakers nationwide figure out how to protect students following the school massacre in Newtown, Conn., and after the National Rifle Association called for an armed officer in every U.S. school. The gunman in Newtown killed 20 students and six educators.

A rural school district in northwestern Ohio is drawing attention with its plans to arm a handful of its non-teaching employees with handguns this year, reports The Associated Press.

Four employees in the Montpelier schools have agreed to take a weapons training course and carry their own guns inside the district’s one building, which houses 1,000 students in kindergarten through 12th grade, school officials said. It’s unclear what type of employees are taking the course. The school would only say that they are employees who don’t have direct supervision over the students.

McClelland has previously said he doesn’t think the arming of teachers and administrators is the answer. He added that armed resource officers are plausible, but school districts would run into the issue of fitting that into already-tight budgets.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: N-Y Schools presented w/ proposal for armed resource off

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

If funding allows, I think this is the ideal solution. It will be interesting to see where the money will come from when budgets are already being slashed left and right. I'd rather an actual cop be on site at schools than teachers carrying guns.

Having a cop on campus could also decrease other crap that goes down in schools, like bullying. Also, it could make it less likely kids bring tobacco or other drugs to school.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I don't know, I'm on the fence here...... I am going to have to think about it some more.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

The schools already hire cops for sporting events. There is always a cop at football and basketball games.

There are some logistics to work out ---- what would be the hours of the cop? Only the hours school is in session? What about evening activities at the schools that aren't sporting events? Would someone cover those as well?

The funding is the biggest area of concern for me.

augustijn
Waterboy

Re: N-Y Schools presented w/ proposal for armed resource officer

Post by augustijn »

Return to “The Off season”