Obama to give Ohio State commencement speech

General Chat
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... peech.html

President Barack Obama will deliver the commencement address at Ohio State University’s graduation ceremonies this year, the White House announced today. Commencement ceremonies are scheduled for noon on Sunday, May 5 at Ohio Stadium.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Re: Obama to give Ohio State commencement speech

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I was one year off on this. Last year, I was certain Obama would give this speech for the class of 2012. I think they tried to make it happen, but the timing didn't work out.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

http://www.thelantern.com/campus/presid ... SUgVegWE58
President Obama set to deliver OSU commencement speech in May

By Ally Marotti
Published: Wednesday, February 20, 2013

President Barack Obama will return to Ohio State's campus in May to give the Spring Commencement speech.

“This is a historic occasion for the university, the city of Columbus, and our graduates and their families,” said OSU President E. Gordon Gee in a press release. “We are honored to have President Obama address our graduates at the university’s largest commencement ever. To be sure, this is a signal moment in the life of one of the most vibrant and vital universities in our nation.”

Spring Commencement is scheduled for noon on May 5 in Ohio Stadium. Obama will deliver the speech exactly one year after he kicked off his re-election campaign at the Schottenstein Center.

Since then, Obama has visited campus two other times: in August when he had lunch at Sloopy's Diner in the Ohio Union, and in October when he delivered a speech on the Oval.

Obama also visited campus in October 2010 and last March.

According to a press release, there will be extra security measures in place during commencement. All guests must have a ticket, and graduates can receive up to four tickets for their guests.

This will be the third time a sitting president has given OSU's commencement speech, according to the press release. George W. Bush spoke in 2002 and Gerald Ford spoke in 1974.

Obama will also be giving the commencement speech at the all-male Morehouse College in Atlanta this spring.

University spokeswoman Gayle Saunders said the White House made the announcement Wednesday.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

seems pretty fitting .. a crappy president at a crappy University ...
Last edited by ManitouDan on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

And this is how he will be introduced....

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

[quote="ManitouDan"]seems pretty fitting .. a Shitt y president at a shitt y University ...[/quote]

And you graduated from where?

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

which time ? , I have two college degrees . doesnt matter where I went , the bucks still suck ... probation anyone ? and the AD is a total douche .

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sounds like the Buck must get the best of your team often.

Go Bucks

dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

THE Ohio State University

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

Jealousy is so unbecoming on people. The Ohio State University is one of the premier schools in the country. I know that, and it seems mr. dazed and mr. noreply also understand that. I am sorry that your school(s) mr. dan are not on the same level as TOSU. But maybe your third degree could be from TOSU. Maybe :lol: :lol: :lol:

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

My son is graduating for Ohio State this Spring and I was pleased to hear that Obama will be the commencement speaker as was he and his friends. The only complaint I have is we were told that The Shoe is having construction done so everyone is limited to just 4 tickets per student which means a lot of friends and family won't be able to attend. Evidently the construction is limiting the amount of available seating.

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

Mr. burg, I am proud to meet you. I am sure you are so proud of your son. Getting a degree from TOSU is so special. I will never forget my graduation ceremony. My wife was nine months pregnant. We had our ceremony outside in the shoe. Graduates sat in A deck in the closed end and the families sat in B and C deck. The diplommas were laid out on tables on the field where the speakers were sitting. Our commencement speaker was Patrick Moynihan. Many of us stood and blew whistles with our backs turned to him. The funny thing is I can not remember why. :lol: But my time there was some of the happiest times of my life. My oldest daughter got her Masters Degree from there a few years ago. And I can remeber two years ago taking my oldest grandson to his first OSU Meatchicken game, and singing Carmen Ohio after the game. The link below is the Mens Glee Club singing it. peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIqYc4ZyOWE

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:My son is graduating for Ohio State this Spring and I was pleased to hear that Obama will be the commencement speaker as was he and his friends. The only complaint I have is we were told that The Shoe is having construction done so everyone is limited to just 4 tickets per student which means a lot of friends and family won't be able to attend. Evidently the construction is limiting the amount of available seating.

This will also be the largest graduation at OSU in history. With the switch to semesters, there is no longer a winter quarter graduation ---- so the graduation in May will essentially be what used to be winter quarter AND spring quarter graduation combined.

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

Wow, that is true. I wish I could go. Awesome memories for these successful young people. peace

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Baruch Spinoza wrote:Mr. burg, I am proud to meet you. I am sure you are so proud of your son. Getting a degree from TOSU is so special. I will never forget my graduation ceremony. My wife was nine months pregnant. We had our ceremony outside in the shoe. Graduates sat in A deck in the closed end and the families sat in B and C deck. The diplommas were laid out on tables on the field where the speakers were sitting. Our commencement speaker was Patrick Moynihan. Many of us stood and blew whistles with our backs turned to him. The funny thing is I can not remember why. :lol: But my time there was some of the happiest times of my life. My oldest daughter got her Masters Degree from there a few years ago. And I can remeber two years ago taking my oldest grandson to his first OSU Meatchicken game, and singing Carmen Ohio after the game. The link below is the Mens Glee Club singing it. peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIqYc4ZyOWE
Thank you. My wife and I are very proud of our son. He took Mechanical Engineering and kept a 3.4 grade avg for his 4 years. He has already been offered and accepted a job with an Engineering Consultant Firm in Cincy starting out at $60,000 a year. I really couldn't be more prouder of him and his accomplishments.

NYBuckeye is correct about the graduation. My son said there are 12,000 graduating this year.

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

Wow!! When I graduated there were only about 5000, in the spring quarter. Also sounds like you will be getting some really nice Xmas presents from a good son :122245 . Again congrats and O - H !! peace

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

Baruch Spinoza wrote:Our commencement speaker was Patrick Moynihan. Many of us stood and blew whistles with our backs turned to him. The funny thing is I can not remember why. :lol:
Many are planning to do the same thing when Obama speaks this year. And everyone will definitely know and understand why. The funny thing is....it's not only going to be the graduates that do it :lol: :lol: :lol: It's no means disrespecting the Office. It just shows the disrespect to the man (if you can call him that) that holds that position. Obama is NOT very well liked with the student body at OSU and never has been.

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

And you would know that how? Have you polled the roughly 50,000 students? You seem to be a person who generalizes a bit. If it were not for President Obama, this country would have fallen into the deepest depression ever expeienced by this nation. Take your red tinted sunglasses off and see things in reality. peace

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Baruch Spinoza wrote:And you would know that how? Have you polled the roughly 50,000 students? You seem to be a person who generalizes a bit. If it were not for President Obama, this country would have fallen into the deepest depression ever expeienced by this nation. Take your red tinted sunglasses off and see things in reality. peace

You have to remember that him and his cronies all believe that everything Obama does is evil and defies the Bible. That he is the Anti Christ sent here to destroy us. I actually feel sorry for them that they have so much hate in their hearts, especially since they claim to be such devout Christians. Evidently KantuckyII and Kentucky Trojan must have been given a "vacation" or they would both be on here spouting their hatred as well. It's funny because Obama has been to Columbus to speak before and he was very well received then so why wouldn't they treat him well this time.

Baruch Spinoza
Waterboy

Post by Baruch Spinoza »

I am beginning to learn there are many "Christians" on here and even more cons. However, you and others seem to be my kind of people. Liberal that is :lol: :lol: . peace

Return to “The Off season”