School District Oddities and Trivia

General Chat
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 »

TOESTUBBER01 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:46 am Warren Local has 196 square miles but there is really no towns in it. There is not one stop light in the school district, although there is one flashing light.
Yes, interesting. I always thought it was a strange set up for a good sized district.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jeep-ster wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am Another thing about Bloom-Vernon LSD. Up until a certain time about half of Vernon Township residents had the option of going to Webster or Wheelersburg High Schools. Then a vote took place and the residents voted to go with Webster Schools. I do not know when this vote happened.

Also, before the new high school was completed, the official name of Webster's high school was Bloom High School. I was the last graduating class from there in 87. Then it was changed to South Webster High School. I remember this well because I wanted South Webster put on my class ring. The company didn't want to and so it said Bloom. I lost that one and got a replacement on which I insisted it say South Webster :). I later found the first one so I have 2. One with Bloom & one with South Webster. can't wear em but I have em :)
Didn’t know it was that recently that it turned into SW

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Greenfield School District goes farther into Ross County than any other school district ventures into another county (at least in SE district)...and the high school is McClain High School...don’t call them Greenfield, the older folks get upset a bit.

JEEPNATION
Riding the Bench

Post by JEEPNATION »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:06 am
Jeep-ster wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:39 am Another thing about Bloom-Vernon LSD. Up until a certain time about half of Vernon Township residents had the option of going to Webster or Wheelersburg High Schools. Then a vote took place and the residents voted to go with Webster Schools. I do not know when this vote happened.

Also, before the new high school was completed, the official name of Webster's high school was Bloom High School. I was the last graduating class from there in 87. Then it was changed to South Webster High School. I remember this well because I wanted South Webster put on my class ring. The company didn't want to and so it said Bloom. I lost that one and got a replacement on which I insisted it say South Webster :). I later found the first one so I have 2. One with Bloom & one with South Webster. can't wear em but I have em :)
Didn’t know it was that recently that it turned into SW
There's a lot of little bits of information about SW that's interesting. If you notice, it's called "Bloom-Vernon Local Schools" which is the Bloom and Vernon townships! I can't recall the exact details, maybe someone else can, but the South Webster area used to split where 140 went through. One side was called South Bloom, the other one Webster.. I think that's right isn't it (someone from Webster chime in!). And eventually that merged into being called South Webster, which answers why many people always ask "Why isnt there a North Webster!!"

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:11 am Greenfield School District goes farther into Ross County than any other school district ventures into another county (at least in SE district)...and the high school is McClain High School...don’t call them Greenfield, the older folks get upset a bit.
The school is less than a mile into Highland County too

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:14 am
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:11 am Greenfield School District goes farther into Ross County than any other school district ventures into another county (at least in SE district)...and the high school is McClain High School...don’t call them Greenfield, the older folks get upset a bit.
The school is less than a mile into Highland County too
Yes...when you go from Whiteoak High School and travel to McClain it definitely doesn’t seem possible you are in the same county

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Roseville the town is in two counties. Perry and Muskingum. One part goes to Maysville and the other goes to Crooksville.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

Even though Meigs is 199 square miles of district its high school is less than a mile from both Southern and Eastern district area.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

Roseville is split between Muskingum and Perry counties, but I think the entire village is actually in the Franklin Local School District (Philo High Scool).

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

one Oak wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:56 pm Roseville is split between Muskingum and Perry counties, but I think the entire village is actually in the Franklin Local School District (Philo High Scool).
You are right. Had to look it up

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

"There's a lot of little bits of information about SW that's interesting. If you notice, it's called "Bloom-Vernon Local Schools" which is the Bloom and Vernon townships! I can't recall the exact details, maybe someone else can, but the South Webster area used to split where 140 went through. One side was called South Bloom, the other one Webster.. I think that's right isn't it (someone from Webster chime in!). And eventually that merged into being called South Webster, which answers why many people always ask "Why isnt there a North Webster!!"

I think the north side of 140 was called Bloomfield and the south side just Webster. When they joined a plat was drawn up that incorporated a huge area. Way bigger than both towns and the name was something completely different but can't recall what it was. The county rejected that plan so they came back with a more reasonable area to incorporate and changed the name to South Webster because there is another unincorporated "Webster" in Drake county.

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Post by Jeep-ster »

Here is a link to Popeye cartoon when Olive Oil sends him the Jeep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdkqRXrzX4g

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Logan Elm is made up of Washington, Pickaway and Saltcreek Townships in Pickaway County, plus the western 20 percent of Hocking County also attends the district headlined by Laurelville.

The district was originally supposed to include Clearcreek Township in Fairfield County (Amanda-Clearcreek), but the Fairfield County Super reversed that at the 11th hour.

Logan Elm has made state tournament appearances in boys basketball, girls basketball, softball and volleyball (twice). The football team has made one regional final, losing 23-0 to Columbus Eastmoor Academy.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

trojandave wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:39 pm The Portsmouth City School District encompasses about 7 miles in length, and has 3 high schools, which is extremely rare in Ohio for a city of 20,000. Portsmouth HS, Portsmouth Notre Dame, and Portsmouth East (Sciotoville) are all within the city limits. I wonder if there is another city in Ohio with the population of Portsmouth that has 3 high schools.
Portsmouth Clay is not within the Portsmouth City limits, the school is and has been clearly outside the district of Portsmouth City. Clay is no more Portsmouth than Portsmouth West is.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

4thgoal wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:56 pm Never knew East was included within the Portsmouth limits.
There is actually a small section of the Wheelersburg school district that has a Portsmouth address as well
There are several school districts that have Wheelersburg mailing addresses that are not close to Burg School District. Webster, Minford and old East all had students securely within their schools boundaries that had Burg addresses, and even phone numbers from another city/town. Yet we’re not close to Burg schools.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 pm Someone do Vinton Co and Logan-Hocking....are those the only two counties in Ohio with just 1 school district?....and they border one another, gotta be some interesting stuff there
Logan Elm District actually takes up part of Hocking County, as does Nelsonville (I believe).

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 pm Jackson City School District....a pretty large district from Boy Scout Rd to Johnson Rd off 776. Out on Pattonsville and then Big Rock

Only 79 softball team has ever made state...I helped coach the next closest team :oops:

We’ve only won a handful of sectionals and I think one time have surpassed 13 wins in basketball since 1977. We’ve only had 4 1,000 scorers on the boys side...but we’ve had 4 players play at Jackson as freshman or freshman/sophs and transfer and go on to surpass 1,000 points (3 in 2 years). We’ve had a state champion golfer and a state champion long jumper.
Though not tradition rich, Jackson has had more than 1 13 win team since 1977.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

New Boston is the only City in Ohio that was bordered on 3 sides and is totally landlocked by the same city.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

In district final game in 2015 Peebles's Beau Justice was 15-15 from the field,7-7 from free throws,3-3 three pointers. Beau is currently the Jounior starting guard for the Valdosta State Blazers in Georgia.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County is the only county in Ohio that has 1 school district/high school for the entire county.
Last edited by Dundas on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Off season”