Phone Scam.....

General Chat
Runner
SEO

Phone Scam.....

Post by Runner »

THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME ABOUT A HALF HOUR AGO!!!.....BE ON THE LOOKOUT for a phone scam of someone posing as a family member! I just received one (the caller ID said it was an "Unknown Caller) saying he was a certain family member and was involved in a car accident out of state accident and had a broken nose (he actually sounded like he had a broken nose). He said he went to wedding with a friend. He had all of my contact information as well as addresses of me and my family member. I started to get a little curious and mentioned that his name did not come up come up on the caller ID and he said he was a pay phone. I then asked where he worked. He said "the shop" and when I asked what shop he said "you know where I work. I asked again and he replied "I don't have time for this" and then hung up. I called my family member to let him know about this and then I called the Muskingum County Sheriff's office where I was told this is a phone scam where they claim to be out of town and in an accident and need money to get back home. If you receive this type of call, DO NOT offer any personal information. You can ask questions that only you and the person they are posing as knows. Once they cannot answer those questions,you will realize it is NOT the person you know. Then contact that person to let them know and let the Sheriff's know about the call. These people can get your information through any of the paid online Background Checks just by entering a name. So again....BE AWARE!.

cbolt
SEOP

Re: Phone Scam.....

Post by cbolt »

A pay phone Lol. Those are pretty much non existent now days. That's why I NEVER answer unknown calls. Almost always a pest. Also beware of selling on Craigslist. Awhile back i tried to sell my motorcycle and some character offered to pay me the full amount and extra for holding it. He sent a check using next day mail for almost 3000 more than what I was asking for the bike. He said to cash it and pay for the shipping then keep the rest. I took the check to my bank and they said it was pure fake!

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Ole Angus says they still got one in the break room where she works. Mainly looks like the bigger city's still have them but few far and between in other areas.

Do payphones still exist?

The answer is yes, payphones still exist. Many smaller American cities have none but you should expect to find working payphones in larger cities and at transit hubs like airports, bus terminals, and subway stations. Rural areas with poor cell phone reception also have kept their payphones active in the interest of public safety.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

I use a pay phone. I have to pay every three month to keep it going.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

:lol: :lol: Yeah, they all dig at your pocket, unless you get a free poor person cell phone, and even those have limits. Free Abummer phones. :) :D

Bob Bolshavic
Freshman Team

Post by Bob Bolshavic »

comrade trenchfoot there are around 100,000 payphones still in the u.s. but i doubt runner's scammer was using one. he probably scamming from a boiler room somewhere. that what they like to do back in the motherland with a bottle of high grade vodka nearby. :lol:

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Yep Bob, I read that too about how many are left, where I found the answer if they still exist on the site I was on. 100,000 is still a bunch considering everyone has cell phones now. But not near the millions of pay phones like it use to be, but they are still needed for certain reasons and areas. Just not a big demand for them now days. How many pay phones are left in the frozen tundra of Russia now days, Bob? :lol: :lol: Bet them Russian scam women use them quite a bit, instead of cell phones and internet to be traced back to them. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the heads up Runner on the scam. The guy told you he was on a pay phone. What did you caller Id say, just unknown with no number? Awhile back over a year ago on my caller ID I had a call that said payphone with no number, but I didn't answer it. Hard to tell what my call was about. Probably someone calling me from the local Reynoldsburg bowling alley. Go check it out Bob, see if they still have one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Runner
SEO

Post by Runner »

That's correct Trench. Just "Unknown Caller" with no number. If this call had not pissed me off so much, I would have toyed with him like I do the Credit Card calls, the Microsot calls and the ones from the IRS....lol. I normally let the calls go to the answering machine, but it woke me up and I did not have my glasses on to read the caller the ID at the time.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

I thinks its crazy now days of all the scam calls that goes on. It's harassment and attempted theft. Those involved need put in jail for it.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

don't know if any of you have seen this one.
https://youtu.be/CuVFcizDwqw

AT THE RESERVATION
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good for him not taking any scam poopy. Good job. 8-) Funny towards the end cursing at each other. :lol: The Pakistan scammer said we run plane in your building. :lol: :lol: :lol: Idiot.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

TRENCHFOOT wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:10 pm I thinks its crazy now days of all the scam calls that goes on. It's harassment and attempted theft. Those involved need put in jail for it.
Most seem to be from India

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Raider6309 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:55 pm
TRENCHFOOT wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:10 pm I thinks its crazy now days of all the scam calls that goes on. It's harassment and attempted theft. Those involved need put in jail for it.
Most seem to be from India
Our US phone networks experts :lol: needs to figure out how to stop all of the silly poopy crap calling coming from out of the country. Bunch of thieves/idiots. We have enough rip off artist right here in our own country. It's getting out of hand. Good people get ripped off, especially the elderly. Pizzes me off.

Return to “The Off season”