TS Cristobal...

General Chat
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

TS Cristobal...

Post by OHHS old timer »

Tropical storm Cristobal has just formed in the SW portion of the Gulf of Mexico....the area is referred to as the Bay of Campache.

Right now, it is supposed to slowly strengthen and head towards the US this weekend. Areas of concern at this time is....Texas to La/Miss border.

Old timer is prepped and ready...already talked to a friend in Lafayette, La to keep a close eye out.

I'm not old, I'm mold....still growing!!
2019 NCAA Tournament Pick 'em champ
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Re: TS Cristobal...

Post by OHHS old timer »

Cristobal made landfall in Mexico on Wednesday near Ciudad del Carmen (Yucatan Peninsula). It is now a depression but is supposed to re-emerge into the Gulf later today.

It will become a Tropical storm once again but shouldn't reach hurricane strength due to a dry air mass in the central Gulf (storms do not like this).

We are looking for rain, heavy at times, Sunday. Possibility of a tornado and flooding in the usual areas exist. At least I got the lawn mowed this morning...

US landfall....looks like Louisiana to Miss/Al border but the bayou state is likely to get this storm.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

8 to 12 inches of rain stretching along from the panhandle of Florida to Louisiana is expected, as of current forecast According how she tracks. Got a ways to move yet. Hate to see tornado's from it. Hunker down, oldtimer. :) Do you live on the western side of the panhandle?

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

8-12 inches is a possibility further west in the panhandle....Navarre and Pensacola.

I'm in the central panhandle...Bay, Walton, Gulf county area. Our weather folks here are saying 6-8 inches possible...key word is area wide. Some areas could get the 8-12.

The central peninsula of the state (Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando) could get alot of rain. Forecasters are thinking this storm will more oblong, rather than circular.

Tornadoes are always a possibility. Warm air mixing with dry air and....bingo....tornado.

We'll be okay though...the areas that normally flood will do just that. Just glad I got all the steel roll down shutters checked 6 weeks ago. I always have them checked and lubed yearly.

Like I said, Trench....we'll be okay. Hell...we just had a Cat. 5 hit us straight on 19 months ago. We got experience...plus, we just had our tax free days to purchase hurricane essentials (except food). Gotta love smart govenors!!!

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Forgot to mention to ya Trench.. most of May was bone dry here.

Past 10 days we have had rain every other day so..the good drenching downpour type...then a day of sun for the ground to soak it all in. Guessing my little area has had about 5 inches over that time frame. Sooooo we might get some standing water in several areas.

Gonna be a fun 72-96 hours.....

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Seen where they was say-un this year is a good year for hurricanes. Not much of a block for the US with a weak to no ?El Ninio? this year present. Pay no attention to my spelling, oldtimer. :) I'm not much with it today. :(

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

As of 8 AM (Central time)....

Cristobal is about 375 miles S of the mouth of the Mississippi river....moving N at 12 mph...winds are 50 mph.

All tracking models have it continuing towards the Louisiana coast. Shape of storm is quite oblong. Most of the rain is hitting Fl gulf coast...from Marco Island north towards the Big Bend.

Conditions here will deteriorate later this PM here, with on and off thunderstorms. Our local meteorologists still have us getting 5-6 inches area wide, with some areas getting 8-12.

Guess it's a movie weekend for moi....

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

As of now...

TS Cristobal is nearing the Louisiana coastline. Landfall is expected a little later this afternoon, somewhere W of New Orleans. Still moving N at 12 mph with winds at 50 mph

A probable tornado touched down just E of downtown Orlando yesterday and I'm hearing of a possible tornado near Winter Park, Fl a few minutes ago.

Didn't get as much rain as first thought...IMO. Was thinking around 5-6 inches...the old timer rain gauge read 3.6 an hour ago. The sun wants to pop out and probably will this afternoon. Dog wants to go out and play....guess we are going for a ride...later.

OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

Well.....

Folks we are back to normal for this time of year. Hot and really starting to get humid (or whomid as one the neighborhood kids says...lol). Yep, time once again for the 30% chance of a PM shower or two.

Ye olde rain gauge registered 4.4 inches-not quite what some predicted but I'll probably have to mow again this weekend.

Until next storm....(hopefully next year)....I know, wishful thinking.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Enjoyed reading the updates in this thread. Call me a nerd if you will, but I’ve always loved weather, specifically Hurricanes and Tornados. Growing up I wanted to go to school for meteorology, but well I’m not quite smart enough for all that math and science lol. Anyways I don’t like the destruction these storms cause, but I enjoy seeing what Mother Nature does I guess, if that makes sense. Glad you didn’t take on too much water down in FL. I was glued to the weather channel most of the weekend, especially on Sunday. I’ve always done this when there’s a storm approaching the states. From every indication this will be an active season.

Who Dey!
OHHS old timer
SEOPS HOF

Post by OHHS old timer »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:25 pm Enjoyed reading the updates in this thread. Call me a nerd if you will, but I’ve always loved weather, specifically Hurricanes and Tornados. Growing up I wanted to go to school for meteorology, but well I’m not quite smart enough for all that math and science lol. Anyways I don’t like the destruction these storms cause, but I enjoy seeing what Mother Nature does I guess, if that makes sense. Glad you didn’t take on too much water down in FL. I was glued to the weather channel most of the weekend, especially on Sunday. I’ve always done this when there’s a storm approaching the states. From every indication this will be an active season.
Thanks PTrojan59! Great minds we have...I too have always been keenly fascinated with the weather. Too much math for me...kinda understand the science.

The last 5 years in the AF...I was the hurricane guy in my lab. I even had a white board with Lat/Long grids over a black layout of southern US, Gulf of Mexico and out to the Leeward Islands. I kept track of all storms and hurricanes...even had a couple of young airman take an interest, so I named them as my assistants. Together, we monitored all storms. Our commander would pop in once a week just to see what was going on. Those 2 airman took over when I retired. Really proud of those two!! One is now a Lt. Col.....the other just retired and lives close to Norman, Ok. She volunteers at Storm Prediction Center when not working at OU Medical Center.

Return to “The Off season”