School District Oddities and Trivia

SEO High School Sports Trivia, Cool Facts & More
Hoopie74
SE
Posts: 2428
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Hoopie74 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 pm

Ironman92 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:27 pm
Hoopie74 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:14 pm
Ironman92 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:37 pm


How did I validate anything?
I've told people how large their district is area wise for years ,and I stated before that they could draw from a huge area for a D4 school. You stated the same thing that many didn't believe.
Are you saying an advantage? It’s a very sparsely populated school district and with a nice portion of the district from the high school...those kids rarely play sports as it’s not handy to do much other than take the free transportation bus ride home. North to south the district is quite narrow...east to west its very long. I don’t see the positive for athletic participation.
I remember the Stacy boys played at Whiteoak-,they lived way over by Cynthiana by Rocky Fork. I always wanted them to come to Peebles then. They were friends of ours.



danicalifornia
SEOPS H
Posts: 7921
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Chillicothe

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by danicalifornia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Bobby k wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 pm
Piketon also has had four major sports win Regional Championships and compete in the state tournament. (Baseball 1985, Volleyball 1986, Boys Basketball 2009, Softball 2010). Although not near as many total appearances as other schools I wonder how many others schools have had Four or more different sports make it to state?
Unioto has 5, Baseball (83, 94), Boys Basketball (91), Girls Basketball (87, 89, 95), Volleyball (88), Boys Soccer (04). Also, they have a very successful Cross Country program, winning the Regional 4 times in Boys (04, 05, 06, 10) and once in Girls (15)
Last edited by danicalifornia on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.



mhs95_06
All State
Posts: 1377
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by mhs95_06 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:32 pm

Coach SLegg wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm
I like these types of discussions...

Scioto Valley Local is Piketon. In mid 1950s Piketon and Scioto Township (Wakefield) consolidated. This was A-Plant boom. Scioto Valley ran dual sessions (7-12 & 12-5) for few years to accommodate influx of students. A gentleman who lived outside of Jasper said it used to take about 45 minutes to get from Jasper 32-104 Intersection to A-Plant entrance due to traffic and employees coming in from all directions. Scioto Valley is a huge school district in miles & has to be one of largest in southern Ohio. It spans from Pike-Scioto Co line to Walmart and Union Hill to Givens. This is approximately 30 miles by 15 miles.
What is the A-Plant?



Hoopie74
SE
Posts: 2428
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Hoopie74 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 pm

mhs95_06 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:32 pm
Coach SLegg wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm
I like these types of discussions...

Scioto Valley Local is Piketon. In mid 1950s Piketon and Scioto Township (Wakefield) consolidated. This was A-Plant boom. Scioto Valley ran dual sessions (7-12 & 12-5) for few years to accommodate influx of students. A gentleman who lived outside of Jasper said it used to take about 45 minutes to get from Jasper 32-104 Intersection to A-Plant entrance due to traffic and employees coming in from all directions. Scioto Valley is a huge school district in miles & has to be one of largest in southern Ohio. It spans from Pike-Scioto Co line to Walmart and Union Hill to Givens. This is approximately 30 miles by 15 miles.
What is the A-Plant?
The atomic plant at piketon. Ports.gaseous diffusion plant .



User avatar
one Oak
JV Team
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Oak Hill, Ohio

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by one Oak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:36 pm

The Oak Hill school district borders both the Vinton County and Symmes Valley school districts. Washington Township in Lawrence County is in the Oak Hill district, but a lesser known fact is that a small portion of Symmes Township is also. I believe all of the portion in Symmes is Wayne National Forest land. The district covers 161 square miles.



danicalifornia
SEOPS H
Posts: 7921
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Chillicothe

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by danicalifornia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:47 pm

Union-Scioto Schools are located on the former United States Military Training Facility known as Camp Sherman. Camp Sherman was finished and opened in 1917 outside of Chillicothe and was home to thousands of troops as they were trained for World War I.

The Sherman Tanks mascot was taken because of the military history. In 1998, a panzer tank was secured to be placed in front of the high school.

Despite the amount of students and rapid growth of the District, it is the 2nd smallest school district (by mileage) amongst Ross County Schools, at 63 square miles compared to Huntington's 60. Unioto touches several school districts, Adena, Chillicothe, Circleville, Huntington, Logan Elm, Paint Valley, Westfall, and Zane Trace.
Last edited by danicalifornia on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 21489
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Coach SLegg wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:09 pm
I like these types of discussions...

Scioto Valley Local is Piketon. In mid 1950s Piketon and Scioto Township (Wakefield) consolidated. This was A-Plant boom. Scioto Valley ran dual sessions (7-12 & 12-5) for few years to accommodate influx of students. A gentleman who lived outside of Jasper said it used to take about 45 minutes to get from Jasper 32-104 Intersection to A-Plant entrance due to traffic and employees coming in from all directions. Scioto Valley is a huge school district in miles & has to be one of largest in southern Ohio. It spans from Pike-Scioto Co line to Walmart and Union Hill to Givens. This is approximately 30 miles by 15 miles.
Yeah...kinda crazy that whole side south of 32 is Piketon...I would think a decent portion would be Western district



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 21489
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:17 pm

Hoopie74 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:23 pm
Ironman92 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:27 pm
Hoopie74 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:14 pm


I've told people how large their district is area wise for years ,and I stated before that they could draw from a huge area for a D4 school. You stated the same thing that many didn't believe.
Are you saying an advantage? It’s a very sparsely populated school district and with a nice portion of the district from the high school...those kids rarely play sports as it’s not handy to do much other than take the free transportation bus ride home. North to south the district is quite narrow...east to west its very long. I don’t see the positive for athletic participation.
I remember the Stacy boys played at Whiteoak-,they lived way over by Cynthiana by Rocky Fork. I always wanted them to come to Peebles then. They were friends of ours.
Ding Ding Ding...that is the exact location where 17 other schools are closer. Thank goodness 2 of the Stacy boys played all the way through. The two oldest were key players on Final 4 team....the next year Whiteoak lost5 of their 7 rotation players but Jeremy Stacy returned and carried them to the Elite 8 after losing all that talent.



User avatar
one Oak
JV Team
Posts: 280
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Oak Hill, Ohio

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by one Oak » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:21 pm

In addition to Vinton County and Symmes Valley the Oak Hill district also borders Jackson, Wellston, Gallia County, Rock Hill, Bloom-Vernon (South Webster), and Minford.



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 21489
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 pm

danicalifornia wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm
Bobby k wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 pm
Piketon also has had four major sports win Regional Championships and compete in the state tournament. (Baseball 1985, Volleyball 1986, Boys Basketball 2009, Softball 2010). Although not near as many total appearances as other schools I wonder how many others schools have had Four or more different sports make it to state?
Unioto has 5, Baseball (83, 94), Boys Basketball (91), Girls Basketball (87, 89, 95), Volleyball (88), Boys Soccer (04).
And at Unioto...XC is definitely a major sport. They’ve had some success



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 21489
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:36 pm

one Oak wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:21 pm
In addition to Vinton County and Symmes Valley the Oak Hill district also borders Jackson, Wellston, Gallia County, Rock Hill, Bloom-Vernon (South Webster), and Minford.
Where do they border VC? End of one of those roads between 327/35?



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 21489
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Someone do Vinton Co and Logan-Hocking....are those the only two counties in Ohio with just 1 school district?....and they border one another, gotta be some interesting stuff there



formerfcfan
S
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm
Location: Amanda, OH

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by formerfcfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:40 pm

trojandave wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:39 pm
The Portsmouth City School District encompasses about 7 miles in length, and has 3 high schools, which is extremely rare in Ohio for a city of 20,000. Portsmouth HS, Portsmouth Notre Dame, and Portsmouth East (Sciotoville) are all within the city limits. I wonder if there is another city in Ohio with the population of Portsmouth that has 3 high schools.
Sidney, OH has three high schools physically located in the city of Sidney proper: Sidney HS, Sidney Lehman Catholic, and Sidney Christian. Fairlawn High School is one mile outside of the city of Sidney. Sidney is within 1,000 or so of Portsmouth’s population.



Not southeast district, but I believe that Morgan Local is the largest school district by acreage in Ohio.



formerfcfan
S
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm
Location: Amanda, OH

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by formerfcfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm

Ironman92 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 pm
Someone do Vinton Co and Logan-Hocking....are those the only two counties in Ohio with just 1 school district?....and they border one another, gotta be some interesting stuff there
Morgan County and Harrison County each only have one high school physically located within it (Morgan and Harrison Central, respectively.) A small sliver of the Fort Frye district is in MoCo, while portions of Conotton Valley and Buckeye Local are in Harrison.

Monroe County is very close to being in the company of Hocking and Vinton as being the only singular district counties, but a very small and sparsely populated portion of the district is Shenandoah.

Southern Meigs’ district is shaped like a boot (thanks, Ohio River).

Little known fact, but Logan-Hocking extends into Perry County.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 21489
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:50 pm

Jackson City School District....a pretty large district from Boy Scout Rd to Johnson Rd off 776. Out on Pattonsville and then Big Rock

Only 79 softball team has ever made state...I helped coach the next closest team :oops:

We’ve only won a handful of sectionals and I think one time have surpassed 13 wins in basketball since 1977. We’ve only had 4 1,000 scorers on the boys side...but we’ve had 4 players play at Jackson as freshman or freshman/sophs and transfer and go on to surpass 1,000 points (3 in 2 years). We’ve had a state champion golfer and a state champion long jumper.



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 21489
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:52 pm

formerfcfan wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:45 pm
Ironman92 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:38 pm
Someone do Vinton Co and Logan-Hocking....are those the only two counties in Ohio with just 1 school district?....and they border one another, gotta be some interesting stuff there
Morgan County and Harrison County each only have one high school physically located within it (Morgan and Harrison Central, respectively.) A small sliver of the Fort Frye district is in MoCo, while portions of Conotton Valley and Buckeye Local are in Harrison.

Monroe County is very close to being in the company of Hocking and Vinton as being the only singular district counties, but a very small and sparsely populated portion of the district is Shenandoah.

Southern Meigs’ district is shaped like a boot (thanks, Ohio River).

Little known fact, but Logan-Hocking extends into Perry County.
Thanks...the only thing I did know was your little known fact lol.

What high school was Murray City/Carbon Hill back in the 50’s



danicalifornia
SEOPS H
Posts: 7921
Joined: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:09 pm
Location: Chillicothe

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by danicalifornia » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:53 pm

Ironman92 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:34 pm
danicalifornia wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm
Bobby k wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:13 pm
Piketon also has had four major sports win Regional Championships and compete in the state tournament. (Baseball 1985, Volleyball 1986, Boys Basketball 2009, Softball 2010). Although not near as many total appearances as other schools I wonder how many others schools have had Four or more different sports make it to state?
Unioto has 5, Baseball (83, 94), Boys Basketball (91), Girls Basketball (87, 89, 95), Volleyball (88), Boys Soccer (04).
And at Unioto...XC is definitely a major sport. They’ve had some success
I think that they have won the Regional a couple of times. They may have won it in Boys Track in 2005 as well. I originally had it typed out, but I wasn't 100% on the years. Was going to check at the school tomorrow lol

Girls Cross Country - 2015 Regional Champions
Boys Cross Country - 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010 Regional Champions
Last edited by danicalifornia on Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.



formerfcfan
S
Posts: 1820
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm
Location: Amanda, OH

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by formerfcfan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 pm

Unsure about CH, but didn’t Murray City have their own school?



Ironman92
SEOPS Mr. Ohio
Posts: 21489
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:04 am

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by Ironman92 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am

formerfcfan wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:57 pm
Unsure about CH, but didn’t Murray City have their own school?
Not greatly sure. My grandfather was quite the athlete and grew up in Carbon Hill area...not even sure what school he attended



LucasDavenport
SEOPS H
Posts: 6672
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:28 pm

Re: School District Oddities and Trivia

Post by LucasDavenport » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:08 am

South Webster HS covers the Bloom-Vernon School District.

It borders Wheelersburg, Sciotoville (East), Minford, Oak Hill, Rock Hill and Green.

South Webster HS was built in 1988 and was one of the very first new schools built with help from the State of Ohio and luckily before The School Facilty Commission started dictating to schools what they could and couldn’t do with respect to gym sizes and bleacher sizes etc...

When you enter the school you will notice the floors and building do not look 30 years old. It was built and designed well and has been very well managed.

South Webster is located approximately 10.5 miles from the Ohio River and covers the northeast corner of Scioto County. State Route 140 which runs from 52 (at the Ohio River) to 93 (2-3 miles southeast of Oak Hill) is the main artery to South Webster.

South Webster’s mascot is The Jeep from Popeye and is Red (not yellow like in the cartoon) and our school colors are Red and White and Black. There is 1 other school in The United States who also uses the Jeep as their mascot and it’s located in Illinois.


It’s all fun and games

Post Reply

Return to “Sports Trivia”