Reffing

General Chat
PurplePower
Freshman Team

Re: Reffing

Post by PurplePower »

I can only speak for those of us in Racine but I think I can get the boys from the Butcher's Barber shop to back me up on the fact that we aint never lost a game where the officiating was fair.

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!
Ground Buck
All Conference

Post by Ground Buck »

PurplePower wrote:I can only speak for those of us in Racine but I think I can get the boys from the Butcher's Barber shop to back me up on the fact that we aint never lost a game where the officiating was fair.
That's a common theme on this site. I can name two or three schools like that, and it's across all sports. It is really unfortunate for those schools to always get the poor refs in all those games they lose. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: This is all an opinion and I am therefore hoping we can still express opinions on this site without retort.
gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

formerfcfan wrote:
gametime wrote:I have the opportunity to go watch every game because the are all taped and put on Web sites for the players to view. It's really bad how game are called, if crews want to get better go back and look at film after games or when they have spare time ,Just like everything else you have to want to get better and get it right. I'm sure coaches would give them the Web site.
Are you referring to HUDL? I believe HUDL requires a membership in some way. Unless athletic directors/coaches are willing to let referees 'bum' off the subscription, I think what you're presenting is a good idea but isn't practical.
Why wouldn't a coach let official's have password, teams in football do it all season kids look at the team they play next every week, the question is do they want to put time in to get better.

You can't handle the truth
formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

gametime wrote:
formerfcfan wrote:
gametime wrote:I have the opportunity to go watch every game because the are all taped and put on Web sites for the players to view. It's really bad how game are called, if crews want to get better go back and look at film after games or when they have spare time ,Just like everything else you have to want to get better and get it right. I'm sure coaches would give them the Web site.
Are you referring to HUDL? I believe HUDL requires a membership in some way. Unless athletic directors/coaches are willing to let referees 'bum' off the subscription, I think what you're presenting is a good idea but isn't practical.
Why wouldn't a coach let official's have password, teams in football do it all season kids look at the team they play next every week, the question is do they want to put time in to get better.
The service is not free, nor is it cheap. The coaches put kids on the subscription because they expect the kids to watch the opponent's film.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

formerfcfan wrote:
gametime wrote:
formerfcfan wrote: Are you referring to HUDL? I believe HUDL requires a membership in some way. Unless athletic directors/coaches are willing to let referees 'bum' off the subscription, I think what you're presenting is a good idea but isn't practical.
The service is not free, nor is it cheap. The coaches put kids on the subscription because they expect the kids to watch the opponent's film.
Had a game yesterday sent to me by text ( the Web page ) watch it on my phone there is a way.

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

bbn77
All Conference

Post by bbn77 »

Good read. Puts a lot in perspective. AD's should post this on Facebook pages and school websites so fans know what they're really doing when they act out like this

ROLL PEAKE
gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:http://highlandscurrent.com/2017/02/12/ ... p-with-it/

interesting article...
Also think official's shouldn't take it out on a team for parents say or do

PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

gametime wrote:
PopeSnoopDogThe1st wrote:http://highlandscurrent.com/2017/02/12/ ... p-with-it/

interesting article...
Also think official's shouldn't take it out on a team for parents say or do
I agree with you

RoadMan
Riding the Bench

Post by RoadMan »

Truth & fiction, from what I was told, the injury Cole Cottrill suffered was early in the first quarter. If that is the case, I doubt the crew would have had the opportunity to let anything get out of hand or get physical.

RoadMan

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Thanks , The first I heard was "hard" foul . Very unfortunate to say the least. I was making a point that like any sport with contact the more contact allowed is going to be more likely for injuries . Injuries results in loss playing time and could be more costly. Most Officials after rough play is followed with an injury (minor or not) will confer with one another and then they will clean it up . That's good officiating . All officials I would think would do the very best on each call . Over the years I have seen a lot of Officials . Some I know by name others by face only so its not like any are going to say I'm calling this game this way cause I will never see this team again . Call the game as you see it . No more no less .

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

I witnessed the Marietta vs New Lex game tonight and as a result I have 3 questions regarding rules:

Can slapping the backboard defensively while a shot attempt is pending properly be called goal tending? in tonight's case the slap seemed to jostle the ball off the rim at a time it was probably going to fall through for a deuce. If so, is it something that should be called only if it appears to knock the ball away from the opportunity to go in.

When there is a loose ball can a player sliding/crawling toward the ball be calling for a time out before he reaches the ball, be given the TO immediately when he then grabs the ball? Is there no penalty for calling for a time out when your team does not have the ball? Is the only penalty for calling for a TO when you do when yo have none left?

At least 2 times near the end of the game the trailing team swished a trey and the net flipped up on the rim causing the ref to stop play to get the net straight and allow the trailing team to set up their press. Back in my day loose nets were always getting flipped up stopping play, but today with most nets in use that happening is a rarity. The nets at Logan seem to be very loose and prone to flipping up. Are there no guidelines on nets to prevent that kind of thing to give a team an advantage?

baseball16
All Conference

Post by baseball16 »

If a player goes up for a layup and someone comes behind and hits the backboard attempting to block a shot then that is legal as long as the ball is not in the cylinder. Opposing team cannot hit the opposite side of the backboard.

Timeouts cannot be given until possession is made by a team. Many loose balls , the coach or player may call for one but should not be rewarded one until ball is possessed.

Nets are on the school. Only thing the ref can do is blow it dead and fix the net.

Here's another misinterpretation from fans or coaches. A loose ball and player A dives onto the floor and slides with the ball , without turning, about 5 feet. This is a legal play. A player can slide , without turning , as far as they can without going out of bounds.

Also, can fans please stop yelling 3 Seconds when the ball is being shot and there are multiple shots inside the paint. PLEASE!! :D

I will add my extra 2 cents on reffing. These last 2-3 weeks have been ridiculous dealing with "stupid , idiotic, and crazy" fans. It's time the schools and administrators start stepping in and banning these people from school functions for a period of time. I know ADAMS co. fines their fans which is great, but more AD's need to step in and start disciplining them as well. Maybe this would cut down on some of the nonsense I have witnessed and heard about over the past month.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

baseball16 wrote:If a player goes up for a layup and someone comes behind and hits the backboard attempting to block a shot then that is legal as long as the ball is not in the cylinder. Opposing team cannot hit the opposite side of the backboard.

Timeouts cannot be given until possession is made by a team. Many loose balls , the coach or player may call for one but should not be rewarded one until ball is possessed.

Nets are on the school. Only thing the ref can do is blow it dead and fix the net.

Here's another misinterpretation from fans or coaches. A loose ball and player A dives onto the floor and slides with the ball , without turning, about 5 feet. This is a legal play. A player can slide , without turning , as far as they can without going out of bounds.

Also, can fans please stop yelling 3 Seconds when the ball is being shot and there are multiple shots inside the paint. PLEASE!! :D

I will add my extra 2 cents on reffing. These last 2-3 weeks have been ridiculous dealing with "stupid , idiotic, and crazy" fans. It's time the schools and administrators start stepping in and banning these people from school functions for a period of time. I know ADAMS co. fines their fans which is great, but more AD's need to step in and start disciplining them as well. Maybe this would cut down on some of the nonsense I have witnessed and heard about over the past month.
I sorry

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

mhs95_06 wrote:I witnessed the Marietta vs New Lex game tonight and as a result I have 3 questions regarding rules:

Can slapping the backboard defensively while a shot attempt is pending properly be called goal tending? in tonight's case the slap seemed to jostle the ball off the rim at a time it was probably going to fall through for a deuce. If so, is it something that should be called only if it appears to knock the ball away from the opportunity to go in.

When there is a loose ball can a player sliding/crawling toward the ball be calling for a time out before he reaches the ball, be given the TO immediately when he then grabs the ball? Is there no penalty for calling for a time out when your team does not have the ball? Is the only penalty for calling for a TO when you do when yo have none left?

At least 2 times near the end of the game the trailing team swished a trey and the net flipped up on the rim causing the ref to stop play to get the net straight and allow the trailing team to set up their press. Back in my day loose nets were always getting flipped up stopping play, but today with most nets in use that happening is a rarity. The nets at Logan seem to be very loose and prone to flipping up. Are there no guidelines on nets to prevent that kind of thing to give a team an advantage?

I w
Last edited by Logangrad on Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Truth&fiction
Varsity

Post by Truth&fiction »

Logan has a special laser that is controlled at the scorers table to make the net hang on the rim . This allows the score keeper to keep up with the correct score . It's a rather inexpensive device but takes 10 hours of training so people do not catch on . Know anything about that KD?

Logangrad
All State

Post by Logangrad »

Truth&fiction wrote:Logan has a special laser that is controlled at the scorers table to make the net hang on the rim . This allows the score keeper to keep up with the correct score . It's a rather inexpensive device but takes 10 hours of training so people do not catch on . Know anything about that KD?

That's correct

Live Like A Champion!
mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

One word best describes the reffing!

HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

biggest problems I see are
1. player has position for rebound. Player who doesn't have position when ball is at its highest point pushes positioned player under basket 3 foot and gets the board...total bull crap...the one's who get away with this the most shove the postioned player under basket at time of shot to conceal the foul... they know if they do it while positioned player jumps they'll call over the back....
2. high profile players and Coaches intimidate our refs....They want to be loved and told how good they are by these people...OOPS! I made Norm mad I hope he still talks to me!!!!!! roflmao...Makes me want GAG!!!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

mrwonderful wrote:One word best describes the reffing!

1. player has position for rebound. Player who doesn't have position when ball is at its highest point pushes positioned player under basket 3 foot and gets the board...total bull crap...the one's who get away with this the most shove the postioned player under basket at time of shot to conceal the foul... they know if they do it while positioned player jumps they'll call over the back....
2. high profile players and Coaches intimidate our refs....They want to be loved and told how good they are by these people...OOPS! I made Norm mad I hope he still talks to me!!!!!! roflmao...Makes me want GAG!!!!!
#1 is big in jr high during free throw attempts ...15 yard penalty in football but didn't see it called 1 time and saw it happen double digit times

george
Freshman Team

Post by george »

Ironman92 wrote:
mrwonderful wrote:One word best describes the reffing!

#1 is big in jr high during free throw attempts ...15 yard penalty in football but didn't see it called 1 time and saw it happen double digit times
There is no call Over the back

Return to “The Off season”