turkey hunting

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Re: turkey hunting

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

quote]Yeah that might work but I still think it would help out if you sited your gun in the day before season on his play LMFAO!!![/quote]
And i just found out he is gonna be working day trick the first week. He also begged me to leave a couple for him to hunt the 2nd week.[/quote]

so it sounds like he is calling you a threat to his turkey hunting :lol:
well i guess you know someone atleast thinks you know how to hunt haha

reliob
Freshman Team

Post by reliob »

[so it sounds like he is calling you a threat to his turkey hunting :lol:
well i guess you know someone atleast thinks you know how to hunt haha[/quote]
Now if i could just make the turkeys trimble at the sound of my call .lol

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

reliob wrote:[so it sounds like he is calling you a threat to his turkey hunting :lol:
well i guess you know someone atleast thinks you know how to hunt haha

Now if i could just make the turkeys trimble at the sound of my call .lol[/quote]

haha yeah but that shouldnt be hard to accomplish lol... I just cant wait for the opening day for my favorite hunting season to begin!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

I took off work yesterday to hit the woods on opening morning. The weather looked bad at first as we sat in the truck until just about daylight waiting for the rain to calm down. After grabbing the blind, chairs, decoy and all the other stuff we packed it all into a cattle pasture and got set up. The Minford area has a lot of birds, and we knew that the rain would make opening morning tough.

We called at first light, nothing happened. The rain kept the birds on roost a little longer than normal but around 7am the sun started to peek out and within a few minutes we had 8 hens in the field and we were hearing birds from all around us. Within 20 minutes we had 6 jakes running to the decoy nicknamed "the widow maker" and as the first jake came 8 yards from the blind and clearing the shooting window he stopped to strut his stuff for the decoy and BANG! Final result was a very nice 17lb jake with 4" beard getting tagged in, breasted out and cooked last night.

1 more tag to fill and I think that later this week will be peak time to get an big tom to come in for a good shot.

Good luck to everyone out there chasing birds! The tip I would give everyone is hunt close to cattle pastures that are getting heavily used. The birds love fresh cattle patties to rumage through for grub worms, etc. Luckily this farmer had just spread several tons of manure over the weekend within 20 yards of where we sat up.

I would post a picture of my jake but I only had my cell phone camera with me and there is no way that I know of to download and post it.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I called in 9 jakes Monday morning to within 10 yards but no long beards. I had a strutter with a hen in an open field at 100 yards. He kept answering my call but would not come in. He went to the left and the hen went to the right ending that set up.

Yesterday I only heard hens.

This morning I had 3 gobblers but none would come in sight.

Tomorrow is another day..... :lol:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

The rest of this week should be great for birds.

Cool mornings, sun coming out so the birds come off the roost at first light, should be responding to calls.

Good luck

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I hit the woods again this morning. I had 2 birds gobbling at 7:40. They never came in. At 8 am I caught something moving out of the corner of my left eye. He was headed straight for my hen decoy. I slowly turned and the coyote saw me at the same time I saw him. I put a bead on him but didn't want to mess up my hunt so I didn't shoot. I kept calling and another bird started gobbling. On the 3 set of gobbles he topped the hill and came in to about 15 yards. He was a jake. I continued to call and he circled me. He finally left and I had one more gobbling at my hen calls but no takers. Day 4 in the books.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Bassmaster wrote:I hit the woods again this morning. I had 2 birds gobbling at 7:40. They never came in. At 8 am I caught something moving out of the corner of my left eye. He was headed straight for my hen decoy. I slowly turned and the coyote saw me at the same time I saw him. I put a bead on him but didn't want to mess up my hunt so I didn't shoot. I kept calling and another bird started gobbling. On the 3 set of gobbles he topped the hill and came in to about 15 yards. He was a jake. I continued to call and he circled me. He finally left and I had one more gobbling at my hen calls but no takers. Day 4 in the books.

I'll be going in the morning when I get home from work and hunt the rest of the weekend.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Im in orlando florida right now so I cant hunt until I get back on monday and can go tuesday...

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Saturday stunk. It got extremely hot and the birds wouldnt hit to calls.

Better luck this week maybe.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

ok well Im back from orlando now so Im going to head out tomorrow and see if all this bad talk about turkey season this year can go away

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:ok well Im back from orlando now so Im going to head out tomorrow and see if all this bad talk about turkey season this year can go away

Hope you have better luck than I did on Saturday!

With this rain moving in, it may help if the rains stop during the early morning. If it cools down a little bit after the rain moves out, it should be very good.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

yeah it didnt work out that great yesturday so I will give it another try today and just hope I dont have the end the hunt getting rained on again!

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

well yesturday was a good day to hunt them just to bad I got into the woods to late! I called in 1 jake that I could of shot but chose not to, I saw 2 long beards walking when I drove up to hunt them and then they would never gobble at me calling so I just left. I saw 2 other jakes that I could of killed also oh and I could of killed a few tame turkey because they was def. making alot of noice and liking my call :lol: :lol: :lol:

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

I should of had got one today but I screwed it up by walking to far when I thought the two birds that were gobbling at me were still in the roost, It was really foggy so I thought it was earlier then what it really was I guess. They saw me walking up on me but didnt run off until I started walking back away from them but they still gobbled at me after I relocated myself and then after like 5 minutes they flew across the hollow and did that to me 2 more times after that.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Had a nice tom come in two times within 50 yards to the call Tuesday morning, both times he hung up for no shot. Didnt have time to put decoys out, once we located him he was right on us after just a few calls.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I have passed on 11 jakes so far. I had a nice gobbler come in to a 2 hen set up this morning. He stopped at around 60 yards and never came any farther. I had a bead on him but my gun did not fire. Not meant to be I guess. :roll:

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Well I got it done and tagged out for the year on Saturday morning. The birds were running around like they had been on roost for a week. It was a nice break in the rain to say the least. I saw a total of 20+ birds, and I had a great tom that was henned up and would come in for a shot. Then as the disappeard from the field, I headed them off and ended up shooting a nice bird with 8" beard.

Sunday morning a buddy of mine and I headed out with limited time to hunt before church. We had a huge tom come in to the decoy with 1 jake, 1 hen and a bearded hen (first I have seen).

We got the tom in to 6 yards and my buddy shot back on him, he was fanned out, and clipped several tail feathers. He was very disgusted to say the least. Not a drop of blood on the arrow.

within 30 minutes he was back out in the field, 100 yards or so behind us, and we knew it was him when he fanned out to strut and was missing a few tailfeathers! It was fastly approaching time to head out of the woods to get back home in time to make it to church, but he will live another day!

This past weekend the gobblers were henned up until 9am or so, and then they were seperating from the hens and going nuts! It was a great weekend to be in the woods. Great weather, the birds talked more than I have heard them all season.

Good luck to anyone that is going out this week.

ChessyFan09
Freshman Team

Post by ChessyFan09 »

This has probably been the worst year weather wise in a long time. The birds haven't been able to swim to my calls and nearly drown when they try to gobble. We simply have our season too late in southern Ohio. A split season would make a lot of sense with the southern zone beginning around April 10th for 3 or 4 weeks and the northern zone beginning about the 24th. Of course the State won't go for it. There's not much doubt after the first week around here that most guys that kill use the calls that come in 50 lb. bags.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

ChessyFan09 wrote:This has probably been the worst year weather wise in a long time. The birds haven't been able to swim to my calls and nearly drown when they try to gobble. We simply have our season too late in southern Ohio. A split season would make a lot of sense with the southern zone beginning around April 10th for 3 or 4 weeks and the northern zone beginning about the 24th. Of course the State won't go for it. There's not much doubt after the first week around here that most guys that kill use the calls that come in 50 lb. bags.

Ha! Thats funny.

Over the last week it seems like they are henned up until 9-10am or so, then they will come in to the call after they have split from the hens.

Good luck this week.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”