Opening Day Turkey Season...who already tagged one?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Opening Day Turkey Season...who already tagged one?

Post by Bleeding Red »

I shot my first one this morning at 9am. Had a group of 12 birds come in on us in the blind. 2 really big longbeards, 8 jakes and 2 hens.

They came in to about 10 yards to the decoys, I drew back (hunted this morning with my Mathews DXT) and couldnt get on the big tom, he sidestepped me. So I hammered one of the jakes. Very nice jake at 19lbs and 6" beard. Very good bow kill. After the shot, we had birds running around everywhere.

We moved the blind an hour later and set up on a different location. Within 30 minutes we had another huge longbeard in front of us at 75 yards but he wouldnt close in across the field. We soon found out why as another big longbeard opened up with several gobbles within 30 yards behind us. That one came in to the hen decoy on a string only to see the other real tom across the field. He didnt like that and darted at him. My buddy missed him on a long bow shot over 40 yards.

All in all it was a great morning. A little chilly this morning, and the birds shut up the first hour they came off the roost. But they soon split from the hens and came in to the calls.

I would say there were alot of birds checking in today at the Minford Kwik Stop!

Bushy Tail Butcher
Freshman Team

Re: Opening Day Turkey Season...who already tagged one?

Post by Bushy Tail Butcher »

Sound like a bunch of crap, you couldn't call in a turkey if you had to!!!! Let alone hit it with your bow, you haven't shot your bow since November, I haven't seen at the club!!!

Proud to be a Falcon!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

when you shoot a MATHEWS, you sight it in and shoot for fun when you want! Therefore, you dont have to spend hours at the club tuning your bow! :lol:

Keep it up and I will replace you this coming high school football season! At least I am not out there wasting time messing with squirrel dogs!

Bushy Tail Butcher
Freshman Team

You talk big for such a little man!!!! Your Mathews is so slow you probably can't shoot something over 25 yards!!!
And as far as you replacing me, Bull!!! You couldn't even carry my CLIP!!!!! Let alone be smart enough to use it!!!

Proud to be a Falcon!!!

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Bushy Tail Butcher wrote:You talk big for such a little man!!!! Your Mathews is so slow you probably can't shoot something over 25 yards!!!
And as far as you replacing me, Bull!!! You couldn't even carry my CLIP!!!!! Let alone be smart enough to use it!!!

Proud to be a Falcon!!!

LOL! Went turkey hunting today and saw 3 longbeards, 3 jakes and 5 hens. Also saw 4 coyotes. Now there is 1 coyote short........cause one of them got whacked!

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

I saw a coyote yesturday as I was walking in the woods to get set up at 9 after I switched locations and spotted a coyote in the logging trail about 100 yards away but it was after it spotted me and it took of running so I set up to call it back in right where I was at. I made a few distress rabbit screams with my turkey mouth call and he came running back onto the logging trail heading right for me. I let him get about 20 yards before I gave him a taste of turkey load ;-)

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:I saw a coyote yesturday as I was walking in the woods to get set up at 9 after I switched locations and spotted a coyote in the logging trail about 100 yards away but it was after it spotted me and it took of running so I set up to call it back in right where I was at. I made a few distress rabbit screams with my turkey mouth call and he came running back onto the logging trail heading right for me. I let him get about 20 yards before I gave him a taste of turkey load ;-)

Awesome! Yesterday must have been the National "go turkey hunting but kill coyotes day"

A coyote down is just as good as a big longbeard in my book! :-D

Bushy Tail Butcher
Freshman Team

Hey Red, it looks like you should spend more time at work, than in the woods!!! I hear you slacking for a while.

And don't even start on here about golf, I hear you been taking a beating there too!! You don't even want me to show up one day!! You don't even call and let me know when your going.

Proud to be a Falcon!!!

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”