Lure Scents - Gimmick or Not?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Lure Scents - Gimmick or Not?

Post by kantuckyII »

What do you all think? Now, I'm not talking about YTB's carp formula but bass lure scents. Does it matter or not? I used them a lot back in the 80's but kinda got out of the habit. Am I hurting myself or not?

I do like spraying a heavy oil based scent just to help plastics scoot over stuff but is the scent that big of a deal?

Bassmaster
S

Re: Lure Scents - Gimmick or Not?

Post by Bassmaster »

Since I started seriously fishing for largemouths in the late 70's I have always used scents on all of my plastic baits and crankbaits. That is the way I was taught and I have stuck with it down thru the years. I've always believed that it attracted fish to my baits and also served as a cover scent for human and other odors involved in fishing. Scents definitely help my confidence when I am on the water. Fish on :!:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Bassmaster, What sent do you use? I like YUM crawfish flavor. Sents do work. I was fishing with a guy and never used them many years ago. I wasnt catching anything, we was using the same bait out of the same bag, (a worm). He was catching them and I wasnt. I didnt know he was dipping his, he had it hid in a cup holder and I never seen him, I was consentraiting on what I was doing . After his 6th fish I stoped and watched and finally seen him. He started laughing at me and I really couldnt believe that it made the difference. I caught one the first cast after stealing his dip, and of course went strait to the bait shop and bought me some. He was using some gold looking stuff in a clear bottle I cant remember what the name was. I also use Garlic flavor Bang When it gets hot out.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

I used Fish Formula baitfish and crawdad when it first came out. I've used Baitmate Classic the last few years and it works well. I hear that Bang and Yum both work well also.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I don't know if it's the scent because it taste good or smells good to them or it just mask our scent? Such as..sun screens, outboard oil etc etc?

I do think I probably need to go back to using it again

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Heres is one pros opinion

http://www.bassfishingusa.com/Articles/ ... le-09.html

(Largemouth, Smallmouth, or Spotted) will usually spit out a bait within 2 or 3 seconds if the bass doesn’t accept the taste (if it even picks up the bait at all!). On the other side of the coin, if a bass likes the scent or attractant, it can hold the bait up to 30 seconds or more before it spits the bait out. Fish attractant does not really "Attract" fish, but your odds on setting the hook will be greater by using it rather than not.

Go read that whole artical its pretty good reading The who site has good info.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Reminds me of a story about dogs (I have lots of dog stories..and some of bigdowgg too) anyway...
I used to have a bloodhound and it was trained to man-trail. I knew a lot of other people who had them also. A guy I knew went to a tracking seminar. At this seminar, they were gathered around a large pool as the guy began to teach them..a man walked up to him, removed his shirt and then tossed it in the pool and took off running. When the man finished his class...he had someone retrieve the shirt that was tossed into the pool and brought it to him. The man then took that shirt and rung it out into a bucket. They then removed the shirt and brought out a blood hound. They scented the dog off that water, that had been squeezed out of that shirt that was laying the pool all that time and the dog immediately began trailing that man.

I know a bass couldn't begin to have any senses like that but..all in all, it's an interesting story

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i owned several bottles of SCENTS :122245 , but was not really sure myself. then one day we were at a lake , the bite was slow, but you could see the fish, with polarized glasses. so we were in the boat i sprayed some cent in the water , i'd could see bass , bluegill, and crappie hitting it at the waters surface. that made a believer of me.

BUT THE ELUSIVE COMMON CARP, WAS TOO SMART, AND DID NOT GET FOOLED. :aaaaa46 :aaaaa46
Last edited by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT on Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

You're Tiger Bait wrote:
BUT THE ELUSIVE COMMON CARP, WAS TOO SMART, AND DID NOT GET FOOLED. :aaaaa46 :aaaaa46

That's because they don't make one with the scent of "sewerage". :lol: :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

YOUR A BAD MAN BOO. :aaaaa59

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”