Guntersville Lake Report

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Guntersville Lake Report

Post by kantuckyII »

Just got back home a wee bit ago from Guntersville. The first day was blown as I was in a creek that just wasn't productive. The second day I, and everyone else, had to call it quits around 9 that morning as terrible winds were blowing. They even dismissed the schools just south of where we were at as there were strong storm and tornado warnings. The next day I finally got on a creek that was pretty good. I was finding my fish all in about 6' to 8' of water. Didn't catch a lot of bass but the fish I caught were all quality fish. Saturday I caught 3 that afternoon and the total weight was 14 lbs. They were having a huge buddy tournament on the lake that day and 25lb finished first, 22 was second and 17 was in 3rd place so I felt pretty good about having a 14 lb bag myself, especially seeing how I really don't know the lake at all. I'm saying that because I know that there's a lot here who always can out-fish you sitting in their living room back at home :lol:

I found one stretch of bank that was about 50 yards long and on it alone I caught 2 fives, a 4 and a 4 and a half and a 3 lb bass. I also lost a couple that were in the same range. Caught my last bass of the trip last night (Tuesday) a 4.5 about an hour before dark. Biggest bass I got over the week was 5.5 lbs. After I caught the 4.5 I thought of home and fishing here and got so bummed out! Not only do you catch much larger fish, they fight so much harder!

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Re: Guntersville Lake Report

Post by kantuckyII »

oh, and except for Tuesday, I fought that wind all week long. After a few days of it, it reminded me of being around a water fall listening to it in my ear!

There were 2 1/2 foot swells on the main lake (the river channel) Friday. I went out there and as far as I could see..probably a couple miles in either direction..not a single soul except for one long guy out in the very middle of the channel bouncing up and down and fishing a spinner bait. I just couldn't resist and I slowly motored out there to him and said, "hey! you got my spot" he about fell of the boat laughing..if you've ever been on the lake, you'd know what I am talking about..it's huge

The fish were coming off the beds and pretty much healed up but you could still see the marks on them. I did see one fish fanning his bed when I first got there though.

I'm goin' to have me a t-shirt printed up if I go again. One said will show a map of Kentucky..and a pointer showing and saying..'Here is Kentucky Lake' and another pointer that says..'Here is where I live - almost 8 hours away'

also..on the other side it will say..'Yes, I always practise Catch And Release' cause those guys are pretty militant about it and will ask you over and over again about it

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Sounds like you had a fairly good trip. Fishing anywhere is better than fishing Ohio. What was you catching them on?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

6 Inch BPS Stick-O. Very few lures you can fish there because of the Millfoil that is emerging. The creek I had fished 20 years ago is full of it..couldn't even fish it. The locals fish the main humps out on the river but it was so windy that it would have been about impossible in my boat. Everyone seems to own 23' bass boats...I'm looking into renting a yearly space and putting a camper down there. I'm on a waiting list now but..there are 65 people in front of me

Speaking of huge bass boats..I saw a guy yesterday down in Al that had a 300 HP outboard on his boat! Why? that's just gettin' nuts! I remember for years that the 150 was standard, then it went to 200, then 225 and 250. What's next? 500 HP? many tow vehicles don't have as much HP as the boat that they're pulling has!

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

kantuckyII wrote:6 Inch BPS Stick-O. Very few lures you can fish there because of the Millfoil that is emerging.

That's not what he told me, Oz. He told me he did most of his fishing at night with a Jitterbug and a black Hula Popper.
Day fishing was restricted to large weighted treble hooks in about 2 feet of water.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

:aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I don't think I'd wanta get out on that lake at night by myself. I don't know it that well and you can run into an island 400 yards from the shore line..pretty scary at times

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”