Handling Deer Meat Gives Girl Disease

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Handling Deer Meat Gives Girl Disease

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Charleston -- 7 year old April Lambert had quite a scare last month, and it happened while she was helping her parents put deer meat in freezer bags at her Wyoming County Home.

"I guess after I got done doing the deer meat, I didn't wash my hands. I guess I just rinsed them off," says April.

Her doctor says April got a case of e-coli that made its way through her body resulting in borderline kidney failure. While it is rare to get this from deer meat, doctors are seeing more cases.

"The same month we saw about 4 children who had done the exact same thing -- deer handling. I saw them for rectal bleeding," says Doctor Amana Nasir, April's Doctor.

Simply washing your hands should keep it form happening.

"They are reservoirs of infection from the full winter time, then stop shedding. Whoever get in contact during that time is an increased risk," says Doctor Nasir

April spent more than 2 weeks at Women's and Children's Hospital, and during that time she was put on kidney dialysis twice.

"I feel greater than I did in the hospital," says April.

Doctor's say April's prognosis is great. April says she still plans to help her parents process deer meat in the future, but will wash her hands more in the process.

April's doctor says in 9 years of practice she has seen 30 similar cases in which children under 12 years of age handled deer meat without washing their hands.

Copyright 2009 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

BigOrangeOne
S

Re: Handling Deer Meat Gives Girl Disease

Post by BigOrangeOne »

It was out of deep concern for your well being about this disease that I didn't bring you any deer meat yesterday. :(

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

BigOrangeOne wrote:It was out of deep concern for your well being about this disease that I didn't bring you any deer meat yesterday. :(

I knoiw you are not concerned about my well being, so wheres mine?

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Do I know you ??

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

:roll: :roll: :oops:

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

fatalbert wrote:BigOrangeOne

dont care about anyones well being, plus he couldnt drop a deer if it was in a cage :roll:

Don't know who you are there, Albert.... but you're my kinda guy. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”