Anyone Else Planning On Fishing Trips This Season?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Anyone Else Planning On Fishing Trips This Season?

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

i'd love to go back to kentucky lake at least 1 more time in my life. we stayed at malcolm creek's resort. had a great cabin, took our boat. had covered boat slips, live bait. man, it was great. saw some absolute pig crappies took outta there. and a ton of blue, and channel cat. we ate crappie one night with some guys that worked at cabela's and ranger boats. man, they made killer crappie. they spider rigged from 3 different boats. and caught their limit every day. they were trolling triple ripples. :122248 :122248

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I went crappie fishing Kentucky Lake back in '81.

Total out of my mind, spur of the moment thing..just tossed the gear in the truck and off I went, me, myself and I.

The first morning was interesting. I got up..and it was clouds creeping in..darker and darker it got as I walked into the bait store and said, 'give me a couple dozen crappie minnows' and he commenced to tossing in this huge silver shinners..I said, 'NO! I said Crappie Minnows' and he laughed and told that was crappied minners there.

I then drove to the lake and when I got to the ramp..there was a huge storm..lighting dancing down everywhere...the ramp was on a creek down there but it was well over a mile across and right out in the middle..there must have been 50 boats..totally not paying that lighting any attention. Well, My mom didn't raise the sharpet boy on the block but..one smarter than that so I sat there for 2 hours waiting on it to quit talking to three guys from Wisconsin. What was wrong with those people out there on the lake?

When it quit..I went out there..I was STUNNED at the size of the crappies there. They look so strange after seeing those see thru ones around here. The biggest one I got awas 2.5 lbs..that's on big crappie!

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

You wouldnt happen to know a Website for Kentucky Lake would you?

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Thanks

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Kentucky lake sounds really nice. We may look into going there. I love to eat Crappie, so It would be a great place to go fish for them.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I was at Kentucky Lake in the early 90's. The Bass Masters were having a major tournament there that was on it's last day the first day we were there. A cold front came through that night and the wind kicked up. Several boats were sunk and many called and had their tow vehicle brought around to them. Hear me now and believe me later, that is one lake that gets SERIOUSLY rough when the wind is blowing upstream as it is more like a huge (and I can't overstate how large it is) huge river.

Also, if you've never been somewhere where they have large crappies, you'll be stunned when you first see them.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

My brother and his family own land on Barkley Lake. I was there a few years back and there were storms kicking up and there were 4-5 foot white capped waves on the main lake. We fished the whole day and done really well. We stayed clear away from the main lake but we went from marina to marina and fished the coves which are bigger than some of the lakes around here. I think we launched the boat 10-12 times that day.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

Bassmaster wrote:
OZZIEOHIO wrote:Them are some nice smallies, but you cant eat basss

It's against the law to fillet a bass :!: :122249

What are your sapose to do with them then?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Put them back in the water...

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

So the only thing you are allowed to do with bass is transport it to a private pond and it has to meet the required length. Help me out is that right or am I way off :lol: I never knew that before, I see people all the time putting bass on stringers and they say its going to be there meal for the day ;-)

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

Yeah , I think The wife, 2 Youngens and I are going to take Crappie expedition to Kentucky Lake in a month or 2. Can anyone suggest a place to stay and Do they Rent boats on the lake?????

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

I think that in some lakes you can't fish to eat them, but some like Lake St Clair, they have to be at least 12 inches, and of course you have a limit. I just thought some people on here are just pull our legs...if I am wrong then maybe they can tell you other wise.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

If everyone kept the legal limit (or any) of bass that they catch, in now time the population would be miniscule at best. For years now, most bass fishermen have rigidly observed catch and release. This insures that we all can enjoy the sport. There's far too many fisherman and far too little water and far too much pressure on bass for them to maintain their numbers without most fishermen practicing Catch & Release. Myself, I have only kept 2 bass in the last 30 years and each was because the fish was dead.

How about angling for other species for eating like crappie, catfish and bluegills? Then, there's sauger and white bass in the Ohio River that are excellent eating and more abundant. Most of these fish are better eating anyway and often times they have way too little pressure on them to maintain a healthy balance in the food chain.

I know a guy who was lucky to have escaped alive from Alabama after some locals got wind that he'd just cut up a 8 lb largemouth. They were going to whip him if they could find him after hearing about it. That is one of the reason that many fellars from Guntersville hate anglers around here as a bunch went down there and tried to rape their water. I have let them know right off the bat that there's no way that a single fish is coming home with me. You'd be surprised too how much they'll be willing to share local tips

Philly
All Conference

Post by Philly »

Kantucky is right. Now, we fished 4 days at Lake St Clair, and caught many fish, and threw back all but about 6 smallies, that were 12 inches or over, that we caught the last day. Me, myself, I love to eat Crappie sandwiches!!!. Trust me, I seen many fishermen taking in their limit every day, but we were good little fishermen and only brought back 6. Now if that makes me a bad person, then I am sorry!! There were 4 of us fishing, and we only brought back 6...lol

Oh yea, by the way...we fish for other fish then bass, they weren't the only fish we caught up in Michigan. :aaaaa71

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I bet every 3rd bass I caught at Yatesville a couple years ago from April through June had healing hook marks in it's mouth. That's nuts...and it's hard to imagine how many times some of those fish are caught by the time they are five pounds..it's like..oh boy, here we go again! they're going reel me in..stick a dry stinking thumb in my mouth..unhook me, hold me up for everyone to see..take my picture and back into the water I go again :lol:

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

I have been stocking my ponds for years now and have about 8 of them where I want them now :lol: So you wont see me taking many fish out of the water but I hardly ever go to big lakes either. I usually do all of my fishing in creeks or farm ponds. So just about all of my fish have either came from swan creek or from a few ponds from around where i live. I think I overstocked my main pond though. You can catch 1 pound bass all day long. I still hook into some dandies every now and again :lol:

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

BRUTUS IS A BEAST wrote:I have been stocking my ponds for years now and have about 8 of them where I want them now :lol: So you wont see me taking many fish out of the water but I hardly ever go to big lakes either. I usually do all of my fishing in creeks or farm ponds. So just about all of my fish have either came from swan creek or from a few ponds from around where i live. I think I overstocked my main pond though. You can catch 1 pound bass all day long. I still hook into some dandies every now and again :lol:

So it's OK for you to hoard up and diminish the bass from Swan Creek where I can fish and OVERSTOCK your pond, where I CAN't fish. Very sportsman like. Encourages us less fortunates to eat every bass big enough to eat and kill the small ones and feed them to the turtles before we leave the ole fishin' hole. .... unless, of course, you mean that one line in your post literally ....."YOU" (I) can catch 1 pound bass all day long (in your pond).

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

I doubt you will ever fish in swan creek, its prolly not what you think it is :!: You dont catch very big fish in it since you can only fish in a whole ever so often where it is not deep enough. But I dont really care what you do in the creek its not like I own it or anything ;-) My dog might get alittle upset though, but thats between you and him :lol: And go ahead and help your self by taking all of then fish, it floods quite often so the fish make there way back up from the river :122249

Surely you are just joking though :oops:

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

3 of the ponds are actually mine, 3 of them are my grandpas. 2 of them are behind my friends house on wildlife area but no one knows about them because the beavers just made them a couple years ago and it is really hard to get too ;-) My grandpa allows anyone to hunt on his land so I am sure if you would ask him to fish he would say he didn't care. Some guy from out of state killed a 17 point that scored 213 on his place just 2 seasons ago :!:

But goodluck finding them :lol:

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”