anything happening below greenup dam ?

BigOrangeOne
S

Re: anything happening below greenup dam ?

Post by BigOrangeOne »

ManitouDan
Did you and your son/daughter go to the dam fishing yesterday?

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

OZZIEOHIO wrote:You know if you go fishing at the Dam not to leave anything you like in plain site in your vehicle. It will be gone when you come back up the hill.

NOW you tell me. I went down there the other evening and had my boat in the back of my truck and left two fishing poles, a life preserver, an anchor and a distress flag laying in plain sight in the boat. :shock: :shock:

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

got stuck doing yard work and she had fastpitch practice at 5;30 , could'nt make it. Working OT today til 3pm. Not going to make it (again !!!) Dan

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Any updates?

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

Since you guys seem to frequently fish the Greenup Locks and Dam, I have a question. I have been told that there was once an enormous catfish there that they called Scrapiron Jack. They called him that because so many people had caught him but their lines broke and he had numerous hooks stuck in him. They say he died because he got stuck between the lock gates when they closed. Anyone ever heard this?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I have never heard of it but have lost some big fish up there.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

not heard about that one but...I'd love to have a dollar for everytime someone has told me that they know someone who knows a scuba diver who went down there and seen catfish that was large enough to swallow a volkswagon & refuse to ever go back down again there :lol:

you know, when stories crop up like that..you can alway find someone who knows someone..but..that someone they know, never has a face or a name ;-)

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I heard that story so many times when I was stationed in Germany. One kid was from Mississippi, and swore it was a Dam by there house and the guy was his cousins girlfriends, uncles,wifes brother. LOL!!. Another kid from Kentucky, Colorado, Texas, and I cant remeber all the others. I allways told them they was lieing and it was the dam by my house and I have Pictures at home to prove it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Check this out.

http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2005/04/30.htm

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I had a guy about to fight me one time at work when I chuckled about the story..he said, 'Don't you believe me!?' and I said, I believe you might believe it but...I have had so many people tell me they knew those divers.. :lol:

It's interesting that around here they moved the size of the catfish from swallowing a man to a Volkswagon! could you imagine how large that thing would be!?!

interesting about the drum, I thought it was the head too...live and learn..

I still hate the smell of those things though!

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

I have heard the scuba diving thing as well about when the Silver Bridge collapsed. Divers were scared came, back up,and never went down there again. Really hard to beleive since a catfish that big would be well over a thousand pounds, but its hard to tell what can grow in this river. I have seen futurebkstar catch an Eel out of the river before though. It was absolutley the UGLIEST thing I have ever seen come out of here.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

mercerville monster wrote: I have seen futurebkstar catch an Eel out of the river before though. It was absolutley the UGLIEST thing I have ever seen come out of here.

Obviously you have never seen Kantuck come from the river. :roll: :lol:

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

"If the pole aint' a bendin', your just pretendin'"

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

1,000 lb catfish? that's it?

shucks, as I said earlier..them one's below the Greenup Dam are large enough to eat a Volkswagen...I'd say they'd have to run between 7 and 8 thousand lbs or more.

I really have had people swear to me that they know someone who's seem 'em that big below the dam (to swallow the car..they offered no weight) and they'd get angry if you didn't believe them. Heck, I'd say one big enough to swallow a Volkswagen whole would have to weigh at least 10,000 lbs! The water there is only about 13 or 14' deep when it's summer time (that also gets by them) and I'm surprised it's dorsal fin doesn't stick out of the water like a sharks

Here's one huge fish! this is from National Geographic's website and not a spoof
Image Caption reads: Fishers in northern Thailand netted this huge catfish in the Mekong River on May 1. Nearly nine feet long (2.7 meters) and as big as a grizzly bear, the behemoth tipped the scales at 646 pounds (293 kilograms). Experts say the fish, which belongs to the species known as the Mekong giant catfish, may be the largest freshwater fish ever recorded.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I have never heard that they was big enough to eat a VW, I have heard that they was as big as a VW, and big enough to eat a man. But everytime you hear a story like that it grows and since most Kentuckians are full of it, I can see how its growing bigger and bigger over there. :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8 :aaaaa8

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

well, we have to make up them stories to keep them people from Ohio from stealing our natural history treasures like at South Shore! :lol:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I just never could understand how the OHIO river could belong to KY. Theres no KY in OHIO. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Obviously you have never seen Kantuck come from the river.

Thats a pretty good one. :lol: :lol:

And you are right Kantucky, A fish that big has to stick up out of water if it is only 14-15 feet deep, especially after the pic you provided. I have seen that pic before but didnt know if it was a spoof or to beleive it. Imagine hooking into that thing. Thats something that would scare the life out of you if you was fishing in muddy water and it came up towards you. :122246 :122246

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

There is some real nice fish at the dam no doubt . ps i know this guy who went scuba diving and seen a catfish big enough to eat 3 vw's all at 1's i'll prove it later lol.

MUFanDave
Waterboy

Post by MUFanDave »

Drinking and Diving Anonymous

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”