Best Smallmouth baits?

hilltopkid
Freshman Team

Best Smallmouth baits?

Post by hilltopkid »

In the streams I like using the Zoom 4" Lizard texas rigged. Usually watermelon seed. I also really like the rebel helgramite, although they're hard to find. They are simialr to the the rebel craw dads, but irresistable to small mouths.

In the lakes like Dale Hollow, CUmberland and KY Lake, I use Tubes, Lizards and blade baits(Silver Buddies) depending on the time of year. A lot of the locals and guides swear by the Float-n-fly, especially in the winter, but I've never tried it.. Dropping Silver Buddies and Jigs along the steep rock cliffs cna be pretty successful.
The last time I was down at Dale Hollow, we started using Slug-go's and other jerk or stick baits and did pretty well.
If you've never been to Dale Hollow, I would highly reccommend it. I always stay at Hendricks Creek Resort. They have very cheap rates for small fishing cabins and the people are great.they are originally from the Akro area, I believe.If nothing is working(which sometimes that happens) if you get to the dock early enough the owner will give you some Gizzard Shad(they're illegal to sell) out of his net and your pretty much guaranteed to catch something then.
The best time of year is late winter, spring and fall, before the house boats and the recreation boaters fill up the lake.

Around southern Ohio and Wv, it shard to beat the lizard and helgramite. Tubes can be pretty successful too.

The Enforcer
SEO

Re: Best Smallmouth baits?

Post by The Enforcer »

Ive only Fished for smallies in the Hocking River, But the bait I always use is a Black Bitsy Bug (3/16oz.) with a zoom super chunk on the end , the Fish tear this thing up.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Zora spook on a long point.

dish it
Riding the Bench

Post by dish it »

saw a guy catfishing last year using minis catch a very nice 2 or 3 pound fish in the hocking.

The Enforcer
SEO

Post by The Enforcer »

If your Fishing Whites Mill on the Hocking , The best bait to use is Minnows floated under a slip bobber, you can catch all types of fish .In May when the White bass are on you'll catch REALLY nice Whities, Crappie and Eyes on Minnows.

Return to “Fishing, Hunting, Racing, and Outdoor”