Rocky Top Raceway (Coal Grove, OH) set to open April 11th

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Rocky Top Raceway (Coal Grove, OH) set to open April 11th

Post by Layne99L »

Rocky Top Raceway set to open April 11th
By: T. J. Layne

COAL GROVE, OH-The Rocky Top Raceway is proud to announce the “Season Opener” for the fifth season of racing on Friday night, April 11th. On the card will be Late Models-$1,200 to win, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds-$650 to win, Bombers-$350 to win, and Mod Lites-$200 to win. Gates will open at 4:00 pm with Hot Laps scheduled for around 7:30 pm. Prior to the start of Hot Laps will be a “Champions Presentation” on the front stretch as we honor 2007 champions Rick Christian-Late Model, Todd Robinson-Modified, and Wayne Hughes-Bomber.

The season will unofficially get underway with a “Test N Tune” scheduled for Saturday, April 5th. All the divisions that race at RTR are welcome to attend. Admission prices and start times will be announced next weekend. The complete 2008 schedule will also be announced next weekend.

Admission prices for the 2008 season have also been adjusted. Admission for children 12 and under will now only be $2. Adult general admission stays the same at $12. Pit Admission will now be $25 for everybody. To go along with the cut in admission prices, the 2008 season will focus on making the fan experience the best around with increased giveaways and fan involvement.

The “Season Opener” is always a must see race at RTR every year. The Conley family have won the past two “Season Openers”, with R. J. Conley winning in 2006 and Rod Conley winning in 2007 for the Late Models. Eddie Carrier Jr. won the “Season Opener” in 2005 with Eslie Bills winning in 2004. Todd Robinson is the only multiple time winner of the Tomahawk Race Cars Modified “Season Opener” as he claimed victories in 2004 and 2007. Dave McWilliams won the 2005 “Season Opener” while Randy Boggs won in 2006. For more information on the Rocky Top Raceway visit http://www.rockytopraceway.net.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Re: Rocky Top Raceway (Coal Grove, OH) set to open April 11th

Post by biggdowgg »

may have to make the trip..went there for the first time last year,and at first , as we was driving up the hill, not knowing what to expect..I was ready to turn around and leave,,,but ...I didnt,,and I seen some of the best racing I have seen in a while , in this area...a VERY FAST TRACK!

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Post by Layne99L »

Glad that you enjoyed the racing!

RTR definitely has a different layout than a lot of other tracks. I think that's good though as fans aren't forced to sit on bleachers if they don't want to, they can watch from their vehicle or bring lawnchairs.

RTR definitely has one of the best track surfaces around and I believe our racing is second to none! When the track is tacky, the speeds are pretty incredible. Late Model track record is a 13.471 set by Josh McGuire in 2006. On that night, 8 of the 19 Late Models in attendance were in the 13 second bracket.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

not to mention the great food :aaaaa59

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

Wow, Randy Boggs is still racing? I used to work with Randy years ago

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Randy is still one of THE top dirt track racers around

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

I believe Randy still races in a Modified and a late model every week. That would be tiresome to run a 50 lap feature the hurry up and jump in the other car and race again.

racenut70
JV Team

Post by racenut70 »

I heard Randy Boggs is going to be the promoter at Wiilard Raceway, a small clay track around Hitchens, Ky out close to Grayson.
Last edited by racenut70 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

hammerdown wrote:i like tracks were you can sit in lawn chairs or what ever,that is the only draw back to PRP. i'm going to have to go see rocky top raceway.

randy boggs is a true racer,i'd say he will race well past social security :-D

if you get there early, you can sit right in your car and watch the race at Rocky Top, I know the next time we go we are going early so we can back our truck in and just sit on the tailgate or up in the truck in chairs

racenut70
JV Team

Post by racenut70 »

Sorry about that, I know that you go toward Grayson and make a right at the light before you get into Grayson in is called Willard, my bad on the names.Thunder Mountain was in Olive Hill up on top of the hill. BrushCreek is in Pebbles,Oh.

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Post by Layne99L »

Here is the 2008 schedule:

Rocky Top Raceway Releases 2008 Schedule

COAL GROVE, OH-The Rocky Top Raceway is proud to release the much anticipated 2008 schedule! Unfortunately, due to wet grounds halting work on the track surface, the first event on the schedule, the Test N Tune day set for April 5th has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled. The 2008 Season Opener will remain on Friday night, April 11th.

To go along with the fan-centered theme for the 2008 season, every race held at RTR in 2008 will be a special event. Late Models will now run a 30 lap feature going for $2,000 to win every week. Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds-$650 to win, Bombers-$350 to win, and Mod Lites-$200 to win will make up what should be an incredible weekly show every Friday. General Admission will remain the same at $12.

Rocky Top Raceway will also be having a “Month of Money” this summer. The “Month of Money” gets started with the “Tri-America Contractors 50” paying $5,000 to win for Late Models on June 13th. This race will be unsanctioned. Bombers will also have their largest race of the season in the “Tri-America Contractors 25” paying $1,000 to win. The largest race of the season for the Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds will be held on June 27th in the $1,000 to win, 30 lap “Terminix Modified Nationals”. The month of money ends on Friday, July 11th with the “Second Annual Engines Inc. 50” paying Late Models $5,000 to win.

Other special events will also be held outside of the “Month of Money” and the $2,000 to win weekly shows. May 9th will feature the “GCP Engines 30” paying $2,500 to win for the Late Models. Double Points Nights will be held on May 30th and August 1st. The “Season Championships” final point race along with a $500 to win, 25 lap Mod Lite show will be held on Friday, August 8th. RTR will then take off a few weeks and come back on Saturday, September 6th for a full racing program. Depending on the weather, RTR will also race Saturday nights at the end of September and the first of October. Those dates will be announced later in the year.

The first RTR “Fan Appreciation Night” will be held on Friday, July 25th. Doors from Steve Francis and Ryan Newman’s Late Models will be given away to some lucky fans. One lucky fan will also get to be the Grand Marshal for the July 25th Late Model feature. The fan will have the race named after them (Ex: “John Doe 30”) and will get to wave the green flag to start the race. We will draw the winning ticket at the July 11th “Engines Inc. 50” so fans must be in attendance for that race to have a chance to win.

Make sure to join us for “Opening Night” on Friday night, April 11th. On the card will be Late Models, 30 laps for $2,000 to win, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds-$650 to win, Bombers-$350 to win, and Mod Lites-$200 to win. A champions presentation will also be held on the front stretch prior to Hot Laps at around 7:30. Adult General Admission is $12, General Admission for kids 12 and under is $2, and Pit Admission is $25. For more information visit http://www.rockytopraceway.net.
2008 Schedule

April 11th-“Opening Night”, 30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
April 18th-30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
April 25th-30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
May 2nd-30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
May 9th-“GCP Engines 30”, $2,500 to win Late Models with Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
May 16th-30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
May 23rd-CLOSED
May 30th-“Double Points Night” with 30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
June 6th-30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
June 13th-“Tri-America Contractors 50”, $5,000 to win Late Models, “Tri-America Contractors 25”, $1,000 to win Bombers, with Mod Lites
June 20th-30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
June 27th-“Terminix Modified Nationals“, 30 laps, $1,000 to win Modifieds, 30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Bombers, Mod Lits
July 4th-CLOSED
July 11th-“Second Annual Engines Inc. 50”, $5,000 to win Late Models with Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds and Mod Lites
July 18th-30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
July 25th-“Fan Appreciation Night”, “Fan Winner 30”, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
August 1st-“Double Points Night” with 30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites
August 8th-“Season Championships”, 30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, 25 laps, $500 to win Mod Lites, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers
September 6th-30 laps, $2,000 to win Late Models, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds, Bombers, and Mod Lites (Saturday night)
*RTR will add more Saturday night races in September and October later in the year*

JHS4EVER
JV Team

Post by JHS4EVER »

How do you get to Rocky Top from Jackson?

racenut70
JV Team

Post by racenut70 »

St. Rt. 93 to 52 toward Coal Grove, take the Coal Grove exit make a left off the exit. Go straight through CG out Rt 243 approx. 4 miles turn left at Judy's Pizza on County Road 6 when the road forks stay right go about 2 miles and there is a Rocky Top Raceway Sign on the right side of the road.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Racenut, Im not forsure but isnt there a road off 93 he can turn on and go to the trac without going all the way to 52?

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I'm going have to go over there and watch Randy run one evening. I know his brother was tough from what I understand. Not much into that racing myself but..Randy was an awfully good fellar

racenut70
JV Team

Post by racenut70 »

I don't know all the back road names and routes, but if you can get them there quicker, give them the directions.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

No way Me and dog tried to take the back way from YTBs and we ended up in a deadend holler at some guys moonshine shack, and almost got shot, went flying outta there got lost for three hours and have no clue where we was. we did see a river and thought we seen Burt Reynolds in a Kyak but wasnt for sure Almost ran out of gas and ended up in Oak hill.

Maybe one of the locals or Layne knows the way.

kantuckyII
SEOPS HOF

Post by kantuckyII »

I heard about that 'short cut' before Oz. Biggdowgg turned me onto it a couple months ago. (Man, he has the most sinister laugh when he talks about you at times!) You put like 800 miles on the car from what I understand?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Im not sure how many miles we went, but ill bet I dont go there again without a gun.

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Post by Layne99L »

LOL There's some rough spots in Lawrence County :mrgreen:

As long as you take the directions posted on http://www.rockytopraceway.net, you'll be fine. There's actually some really nice land out CR 6 if you use the directions posted on the web.

Here is my latest press release on Friday's race:

Rocky Top Raceway “Opening Night” set for April 11th

COAL GROVE, OH-After a long off season, the Rocky Top Raceway is preparing to kick off the fifth season of racing on Friday night, April 11th for “Opening Night”. On the card will be Late Models going 30 laps for $2,000 to win, Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds-$650 to win, Bombers-$350 to win, and Mod Lites-$200 to win. Race fans will also get a special treat as they will witness the 2007 Champions Presentation on the front straightaway where track champions Rick Christian, Todd Robinson, and Wayne Hughes will be honored for their accomplishments.

Each season, “Opening Night” is always one of the can’t miss races of the year. In the Late Model division, the Conley family has won the past two “Opening Night” races with R. J. Conley winning in 2006 and Rod Conley winning in 2007. Former World of Outlaws Rookie of the Year Eddie Carrier Jr. won in 2005. For three out of four years, the winner of the “Opening Night” Tomahawk Race Car Modified feature has went on to win the championship. Todd Robinson accomplished this feat in 2004 and 2007 and Dave McWilliams did this in 2005. Maysville, Kentucky driver Jeremie Bretz has won the Bomber “Opening Night” race for two of the four years.

The “Opening Night” races will mark the start of several exciting changes for the 2008 season at Rocky Top. First of all, in an effort to give race fans more for their ticket, 2008 weekly shows will now have a special event feel as Late Models will race 30 laps for $2,000 to win each Friday. “Opening Night” also marks the first race in the chase for a 2008 Tomahawk Chassis which awaits the points champion in the Tomahawk Race Car Modified division. Finally, “Opening Night” will be the first race of the first full season for the exciting Mod Lite division which was introduced with six races held at RTR in 2007.

General Admission for this can’t miss race is only $12 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under. Pit Admission is $25. Fans will be able to get involved with the nights action with some fan promotions during intermission. Gates will open at 4:00 pm with the Champions Presentation at 7:30 and Hot Laps immediately following. For more information visit http://www.rockytopraceway.net or call the raceday phone at (740)-547-DIRT.

Previous “Opening Night” Winners

Late Models-Eslie Bills
Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds-Todd Robinson
Bombers-David Skaggs

Late Models-Eddie Carrier Jr.
Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds-David McWilliams
Bombers-Jeremie Bretz

Late Models-R. J. Conley
Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds-Randy Boggs
Bombers-Brett Carey

Late Models-Rod Conley
Tomahawk Race Car Modifieds-Todd Robinson